{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempsters First Signing !

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempsters First Signing !

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am

It is a concern. No way do we need or want the scattergun approach of Steve Evans, but usually by now the manager has signed someone who is on his radar who he knows will improve the squad. Last season David Flitcroft signed Preston early on in the window for example.

To be fair to John Dempster, he has not managed at this level, so he won't have the same advantages of a more experienced manager who has worked with experienced players. Whether his assistant has that kind of experience and has such players on his radar is debatable.

Last season the club had a dedicated member of the management team who was in charge of player recruitment. John Radford seems to have abandoned this approach.

Whilst I don't think it's time to panic about lack of signings it is a concern. For instance why has Ben Turner not signed so far?

Some on here say we only need to sign 3 to 5 players. Things may change. We were successful last season, so clubs will be looking at our squad. Very often clubs who almost achieve promotion lose their better players in the squad. So we may actually need more than 5 signings.

Hopefully our first signing will happen this week. The quality of this signing will go a long way to see what sort of season we can expect. I await that signing with interest.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:49 am

We were successful?

accomplishing a desired aim or result

Not sure what team you were watching, but it certainly wasn’t mansfield

We were not successful
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

tibby wrote:We were successful?

We were not successful

Completely missed the point. The point AA is making is that there will be other clubs looking members of our playing staff that they may consider for their own recruitment.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am

Amber Andy wrote:It is a concern. No way do we need or want the scattergun approach of Steve Evans, but usually by now the manager has signed someone who is on his radar who he knows will improve the squad. Last season David Flitcroft signed Preston early on in the window for example.

To be fair to John Dempster, he has not managed at this level, so he won't have the same advantages of a more experienced manager who has worked with experienced players. Whether his assistant has that kind of experience and has such players on his radar is debatable.

Last season the club had a dedicated member of the management team who was in charge of player recruitment. John Radford seems to have abandoned this approach.

Whilst I don't think it's time to panic about lack of signings it is a concern. For instance why has Ben Turner not signed so far?

Some on here say we only need to sign 3 to 5 players. Things may change. We were successful last season, so clubs will be looking at our squad. Very often clubs who almost achieve promotion lose their better players in the squad. So we may actually need more than 5 signings.

Hopefully our first signing will happen this week. The quality of this signing will go a long way to see what sort of season we can expect. I await that signing with interest.

A few things in relation to this.

1. We may have signed players, they have just not been announced yet (player could be on holiday and not available for photoshoot etc.)

2. Ben Turner, see above. When he joined he stated he was not enjoying football. Maybe that has continued and he doesn't want to play any longer, maybe he has been offered a better deal elsewhere.

3. Dempster was the person who said we only need to sign 3-5 players, not anybody on here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:12 am

Love how people are over reacting to the lack of transfer activity, given it’s so early on. Hold your nerve and chill. Enjoy the rainy summer. What will be will be. I dare bet only 10% of all transfer activity has already taken place around the country!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby ironbru » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

I would rather we have 3 good additions than 10 duffers, chill people.
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 am

Turner jumped on to get a decent wage and it was likely he would be league 1 next season with us and once he was fit he proved to be a very good prospect for us albeit getting towards the end of his career and could be injury prone.
My guess is he will try for higher wages in League 1 if offered a club within his geographical range unless we can offer him a big wage and of course he wants to be part of JD's plans.
Looking at things currently in this very low key approach to the pre season build up, it does not seem likely he will get big money in view of having to leave some larger amounts of JR's hard earned in the pot for a decent striker and midfielder which is more important I think at this stage of the recruitment process.

All in my humble view of course.
Agree that there is no rush to get all players in and signed immediately but in an ideal world he would want the full squad for the jolly in Portugal so I am chilling as suggested.
Last edited by tillydog123 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 am

For whatever reason spending big just hasn't worked for us. Personally, I'd rather go back to knowing that promotion has been earned by finding a gem of a young manager, and bringing in some quality level-headed hard-working players who aren't just footballing mercenaries. Just wish the ticket prices reflected this new frugal spending though!
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:27 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It is a concern. No way do we need or want the scattergun approach of Steve Evans, but usually by now the manager has signed someone who is on his radar who he knows will improve the squad. Last season David Flitcroft signed Preston early on in the window for example.

A few things in relation to this.

1. We may have signed players, they have just not been announced yet (player could be on holiday and not available for photoshoot etc.)

2. Ben Turner, see above. When he joined he stated he was not enjoying football. Maybe that has continued and he doesn't want to play any longer, maybe he has been offered a better deal elsewhere.

3. Dempster was the person who said we only need to sign 3-5 players, not anybody on here.

With respect Musings I suggest you read the thread again. You yourself pointed out earlier in this thread that we had several weeks to sign 3 to 5 players. Another poster has said we have a big enough squad at the moment to start the season without signing anyone.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:27 am

FarnieStag wrote:For whatever reason spending big just hasn't worked for us. Personally, I'd rather go back to knowing that promotion has been earned by finding a gem of a young manager, and bringing in some quality level-headed hard-working players who aren't just footballing mercenaries. Just wish the ticket prices reflected this new frugal spending though!

Danny Rose's name is definitely on the back of your shirt isn't he?
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 am

WVStag wrote:

We were not successful

Completely missed the point. The point AA is making is that there will be other clubs looking members of our playing staff that they may consider for their own recruitment.

Who are you, his PA? :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:29 am

Good post from Farnie
Agree very much about no over indulging the comforts/wages and treats for the players as this has not worked for 2 seasons so far.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am

We were not successful

Actually it was Mansfield I was watching.

As WVStag has pointed out other teams will view a team that has finished fourth is a success. They will want to sign our better players. It happens every season to teams who almost achieve promotion.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:42 am

Amber Andy wrote:

We were not successful

As WVStag has pointed out other teams will view a team that has finished fourth is a success. They will want to sign our better players. It happens every season to teams who almost achieve promotion.

I hope they have deep pockets then as all the players bar three (Mellis, Turner, Olejnik) are contracted for another season.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Jimstag wrote:At this rate I’m expecting a few players named A.Trialist on the team sheet in preseason.

Why? We have 20 players signed on and two agreed in principle.

I just have a feeling, as much as he has inherited a good squad he’ll want it to be his squad and if he has not made many outright signings before preseason I’d expect that he’ll want to look at a few and how they fit the squad
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am

replacing young Wacka is JDs most important purchase, it’s vital he gets that one right, Glover i feel will be key to recruitment, speaking to a Donkeys fan he was central to their signings last season, it’s defiantly a different strategy to the last few seasons anyway, quality not quantity is key, let’s see who he brings in before we stone him
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Trenam » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Already have a great left winger with goal potential in young sterland, ex forest winger ass.manager coaching him could make him a great player,and to think he was told to find another club from d/f :mtfc: 1946 /47
Trenam
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 pm

New player in the new kit Friday?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:47 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We were not successful

I hope they have deep pockets then as all the players bar three (Mellis, Turner, Olejnik) are contracted for another season.

The chief at Salford has the means to dig deep ! ;)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:12 pm

FarnieStag wrote:For whatever reason spending big just hasn't worked for us. Personally, I'd rather go back to knowing that promotion has been earned by finding a gem of a young manager, and bringing in some quality level-headed hard-working players who aren't just footballing mercenaries. Just wish the ticket prices reflected this new frugal spending though!

Personally Farnie, I think all we've done is reprove the 'can't buy yourself out the league' theory! ;)

Money will get you a decent amount of the way, but the missing Element X is what's required to see you home. I don't think it was abject failure, but it could have been easily better at the end
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Just because it hasn't worked for us, doesn't mean it doesn't work and never will.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We were not successful

The chief at Salford has the means to dig deep ! ;)

But since there under contract we can always say no ;)
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Not bothered when we sign as long as we have everyone in place for pre season. Hope our recruitment criteria leads to a few more who won't bottle it within the squad.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Field Mill wrote:Not bothered when we sign as long as we have everyone in place for pre season. Hope our recruitment criteria leads to a few more who won't bottle it within the squad.

'Are you a bottler?'

'No boss'

'Well done, sign this contract'
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Field Mill wrote:Not bothered when we sign as long as we have everyone in place for pre season. Hope our recruitment criteria leads to a few more who won't bottle it within the squad.

'Are you a bottler?'

'No boss'

'Well done, sign this contract'
Musings, I think you are being a little flippant regarding Field Mill's comment.

You know as well as I do that there are skilful talented players who arnt up for the fight at the business end of the season.

It's all about the right recruitment for league 2. I hope JD's right hand man has the experience to sign us the right players.

Field Mill is right what he says.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum