{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thread not really about new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Bradders » Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 am

CJ has his weaknesses and is still developing. But I'd wager that he's one of the most feared attackers in League 2, and if he's having an off day it's a massive relief to the opposition defence. You could find more consistent players to replace him, but what price those frequent moments of defence splitting brilliance?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 29, 2019 11:28 am

Bradders wrote:CJ has his weaknesses and is still developing. But I'd wager that he's one of the most feared attackers in League 2, and if he's having an off day it's a massive relief to the opposition defence. You could find more consistent players to replace him, but what price those frequent moments of defence splitting brilliance?

:thumbup:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 29, 2019 11:32 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.

Correct VP.

Someone on here was also talking nostalgically about Jamie McGuire, saying he would have made the difference between play-offs and automatics.
Actually what I said was we missed a Jamie McGuire type player, someone with his tanicity but more skill. I still maintain we missed someone who was in the face of the opposition with a never say die attitude. Someone like Perkins and Ladabie. Someone with the grit and determination to achieve the objective. The way McGuire put his heart and soul into his play and helped us avoid relegation not so long ago. Bishop did that for us during the season to a certain extent, but ran out of steam towards the end. Unfortunately we didn't have a back up.

I don't mind you quoting me, but please do it more accurately.

Where have I quote you inaccurately? You used Jamie McGuire as the style of player which we missed, which is rubbish. We didn't lose to MK Dons or Newport because we missed someone who could wind up the opposition, foul people and lose the ball every time he got it. But he's fondly remembered because he's a nice bloke who ran round like a headless chicken and then clapped the fans after.

MacDonald has 'tenacity', Tomlinson has 'tenacity'.

You quoted me inaccurately by saying that I suggested Jamie McGuire would have made the difference. I said someone LIKE Jamie McGuire would have made the difference. I stand by that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 29, 2019 11:38 am

Whatever you said or however you meant it, we didn't lack grit and determination.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am

DE STAG wrote:
Vice President wrote:I can't believe that some people are doubting Tyler Walker & CJ Hamilton. They were our two best goal scorers and were also in the league 2 team of the season. The fact is that Walker (and probably CJ) will move on to higher clubs, because they are better than league 2.

Meanwhile, some people have this absurd love-in with Danny Rose and Macca, who quite frankly are not good enough (as evidenced by the last 2 years). I know which two players I'd like to keep and which two I'd be happy to move on.

100 percent this.

I'll make that 150%
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed May 29, 2019 11:48 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Correct VP.

Someone on here was also talking nostalgically about Jamie McGuire, saying he would have made the difference between play-offs and automatics.
Actually what I said was we missed a Jamie McGuire type player, someone with his tanicity but more skill. I still maintain we missed someone who was in the face of the opposition with a never say die attitude. Someone like Perkins and Ladabie. Someone with the grit and determination to achieve the objective. The way McGuire put his heart and soul into his play and helped us avoid relegation not so long ago. Bishop did that for us during the season to a certain extent, but ran out of steam towards the end. Unfortunately we didn't have a back up.

I don't mind you quoting me, but please do it more accurately.

Where have I quote you inaccurately? You used Jamie McGuire as the style of player which we missed, which is rubbish. We didn't lose to MK Dons or Newport because we missed someone who could wind up the opposition, foul people and lose the ball every time he got it. But he's fondly remembered because he's a nice bloke who ran round like a headless chicken and then clapped the fans after.

MacDonald has 'tenacity', Tomlinson has 'tenacity'.

He's a nice bloke who ran round like a headless chicken and then clapped the fans after - that's Macca sums up nicely.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:But we're still in league 2!

I get the point. I think it can be argued each way, and you could say that they definitely did their bit, it was the rest of the team who didnt chip in often enough, which on balance is probably where I am at now. And for what it's worth, I agree almost 40 goals between them is an amazing statistic.

As for goals or running. I'm predisposed to appreciate effort and results. But why is it a trade off? Why can't goalscorers put the yards in too?

If it was a choice between walker or rose, I'd have walker every time purely for his goals.

Erm, because it's L2 and an effective goalscorer who runs all game would cost £1m upwards at this level i'd guess?

If they were as prolific as Walker & boundless energy they'd be way above our level. It's rare to get one of these, so at this level every player has one or more flaws. To afford that type we should look at unproven but with bags of potential - either youth team, non league, or somehow unloved/unwanted & unplayed at a far high level. They'll all be huge gambles imo
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:28 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I don't 'doubt' their abilities. We know that when both of them are on form they are quality..

Despite walker's goals, which you simply can not argue with, he just seemed to float about the place. CJ was Flitcrofts pet so was played in every position conceivable before being replaced which was sometimes the last option. The fact is that these two were potentially our 'game changers'. But for me they didn't have the impact they should have. Now whether that's down to tactics or because we lacked a 'Davies type' player is open to debate.

If Dempster can get CJ firing twice as often, we'll have a million pound player, easy. As for walker, someone mentioned that if he goes back to Forest he goes back to being Des Walker's son rather than being his own man elsewhere. This is true for me because he's not good enough for the championship. Even if he goes to L1, I think that's his ceiling for the moment on the basis that he joins a top-half team.

I don't think anyone is a hard-line 'they were rubbish' or 'they were amazing'. I'm somewhere in between, but what's for sure is without them, our season would have looked a lot worse.

You could argue that when Matt Green first joined us he would "float around" alot and would only play well if he scored.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:50 am

1st June at last, players are out of contract and the free for all of signing players can begin.

Later I am off down the chip shop to see the guy who thinks he is Elvis. He is usually as a reliable source as you get on Forums. (Or sauce if you like kebabs).
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:26 am

I am Spartacus wrote:1st June at last, players are out of contract and the free for all of signing players can begin.

Later I am off down the chip shop to see the guy who thinks he is Elvis. He is usually as a reliable source as you get on Forums. (Or sauce if you like kebabs).

Contracts run until the 30th June.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:18 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:1st June at last, players are out of contract and the free for all of signing players can begin.

Contracts run until the 30th June.

Musings, you should know by now that on Stagsnet we never let the truth get in the way of a transfer rumour! :lol:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:39 am

Would have thought things will start moving soon ,demps said players report back 26th june for training ,assume he would like his signings in by then
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:16 pm

spanishstag wrote:Would have thought things will start moving soon ,demps said players report back 26th june for training ,assume he would like his signings in by then

I Don't think we'll sign that many... 4/5 and maybe some loans.

Turner hopefully will sign.

Two Strikers.

Centre Mid and a full back
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Would have thought things will start moving soon ,demps said players report back 26th june for training ,assume he would like his signings in by then

Two Strikers.

In one of interviews he mentions he wants to sign some wingers.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 pm

“I’m looking to sign three to five [players this summer],” Dempster said. “It’s not a rebuild, but if we can strengthen in key areas, this squad will only become stronger.

“[I’m looking to improve] wide areas and centre-forward areas. They will be my main focus at this moment in time.

“We have good defenders at this football club. I’m speaking to Ben Turner later on today. He’s doing his UEFA B [licence] at St. George’s Park so I haven’t had the chance to speak to him yet.

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2019 ... ss-21-may/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 pm

HU7stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Two Strikers.

will we still play the 3-5-2 next season? it would seem not if Dempster mentioned signing wingers!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Two Strikers.

will we still play the 3-5-2 next season? it would seem not if Dempster mentioned signing wingers!

He said improving wide areas. that, to me, includes FB, WB, and Wingers/wide midfielders that you can class as "wide".

We definitely need a backup to Benning and White. Especially if we are switching to 4-4-2.

Switching to 4-4-2. We have Hamilton and Khan at left wing and only Macca on the right wing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:12 pm

Khan needs more playing time imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm

If Demps can get the players all playing to their potential then we should be very difficult to beat next season, too many times players under performed to their high standards, if he can bring in one seriously good striker we should have a good season and put the kids on the bench. We will start with a settled side which will be totally different to a lot of sides.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Just seen the bloke who works down the chip shop and swears he is Elvis, he reckons that the Stags have signed, in a footballing first, a woman to play in men’s football. Apparently FIFA are planning a huge announcement.

She is a tricky winger to replace CJ and called ‘Maisie Run’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:35 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Just seen the bloke who works down the chip shop and swears he is Elvis, he reckons that the Stags have signed, in a footballing first, a woman to play in men’s football. Apparently FIFA are planning a huge announcement.

It's clearly been a poor day fighting Romans.

Please for the love of god find this man some lime green jelly and a lovely lady to frequent it. It's the only thing that will save him from this madness.

That or an actual signing....
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Just seen the bloke who works down the chip shop and swears he is Elvis, he reckons that the Stags have signed, in a footballing first, a woman to play in men’s football. Apparently FIFA are planning a huge announcement.

Please for the love of god find this man some lime green jelly and a lovely lady to frequent it. It's the only thing that will save him from this madness.

Could the lime green jelly be substituted by the brown jelly that is part of pork dripping?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:48 pm

2 signings next week. You heard it here first, because I just made it up.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:52 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:

Could the lime green jelly be substituted by the brown jelly that is part of pork dripping?

Could this young lady's name be Lizzy Dripping ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Sneag wrote:2 signings next week. You heard it here first, because I just made it up.

that's more like it.

Mason Bennett and Luke Beckett
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum