{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

They’re going to Wembley - We're Not!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: They’re going to Wembley - We're Not!

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 am

Newport are a mid table side at best .failed to score from open play in 3 play off games , 2 players sent off ( should have been more ) yet their fans call other sides dirty and scream for handball when the ref tosses a coin . Horrible club .

Still deserved to beat us thought.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 26, 2019 7:09 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Unfortunate for Newport today. If there had been VAR, then Matt would have got the penalty after 85 minutes and Newport would probably have won.

However if we'd had VAR in the semi-finals, then O'Brien would have been sent off in the first leg after 6 minutes, and Azeez would not have got the penalty after 83 minutes of the first leg. Two tie-changing decisions. And Butler would probably have been sent off in the second leg.

So....we really would have won. Who’d have thought it. Cheating Welsh scumbags.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Unfortunate for Newport today. If there had been VAR, then Matt would have got the penalty after 85 minutes and Newport would probably have won.

However if we'd had VAR in the semi-finals, then O'Brien would have been sent off in the first leg after 6 minutes, and Azeez would not have got the penalty after 83 minutes of the first leg. Two tie-changing decisions. And Butler would probably have been sent off in the second leg.

Don't think VAR would of given them a penalty. It wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. Matt planted his foot and threw himself to the ground. Almost a carbon copy of Patrick bamford against Richard Keogh in the championship play offs, he was booked for a dive. Matt should have been too.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun May 26, 2019 8:12 am

As much as I hate to see it, we have to get smartly (not Danny Rose, captain obvious style) into this cheating lark, it is a big part of today’s game. We so nearly got there playing football, maybe, just maybe an Ajeez, Matt or Akinde style fall over in the box would have got us that extra point.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Don't think VAR would of given them a penalty. It wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. Matt planted his foot and threw himself to the ground. Almost a carbon copy of Patrick bamford against Richard Keogh in the championship play offs, he was booked for a dive. Matt should have been too.

They spoke to Dermot Gallagher on Sky. He said it should have been given as a penalty and would have been under VAR.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 am

pemill wrote:As much as I hate to see it, we have to get smartly (not Danny Rose, captain obvious style) into this cheating lark, it is a big part of today’s game. We so nearly got there playing football, maybe, just maybe an Ajeez, Matt or Akinde style fall over in the box would have got us that extra point.

We've not had an effective diver since Louis Briscoe.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 26, 2019 8:30 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

They spoke to Dermot Gallagher on Sky. He said it should have been given as a penalty and would have been under VAR.

Just his opinion. It was a dive, exactly the same thing happened in the Leeds game and it was free kick the other way? Quite glad we don't have VAR.

I've heard goal line technology will be used in leagues one and two soon. That I can get behind
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 26, 2019 9:24 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Just his opinion. It was a dive, exactly the same thing happened in the Leeds game and it was free kick the other way? Quite glad we don't have VAR.

I've heard goal line technology will be used in leagues one and two soon. That I can get behind

Totally agree. Yes his leg came out but Matt was looking to throw himself to the ground in the style of Tom Daley. It makes it so difficult for the officials. Glad they missed it. Newport are awful.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun May 26, 2019 11:02 am

I wonder what odds you could get on Newport doing a County next season and going from play offs to relegation.

They should have made enough money to avoid a bottom three budget though. It probably depends on them not thinking they are big time charlies though and getting rid of most of the squad.

But wouldn't it be funny. And before anyone points it out, no I don't think it will happen to us.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I wonder what odds you could get on Newport doing a County next season and going from play offs to relegation.

They should have made enough money to avoid a bottom three budget though. It probably depends on them not thinking they are big time charlies though and getting rid of most of the squad.

But wouldn't it be funny. And before anyone points it out, no I don't think it will happen to us.

Hope so. They don’t deserve to be in the English league system. I’d even rather see Chesterfailed in L2 rather than them.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun May 26, 2019 12:27 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I wonder what odds you could get on Newport doing a County next season and going from play offs to relegation.

Hope so. They don’t deserve to be in the English league system. I’d even rather see Chesterfailed in L2 rather than them.

Take 5 mins to read the Welsh forum it's hilarious.
Ref denied them,VAR would have helped them and they've all got it in for the Welsh.
Only one more balanced poster has pointed out that Mansfield would disagree and they'd be out in the semis :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Some Newport fans seem to be suggesting that a lot of their players will be leaving. Dan Butler (signed by Paul Cox at Torquay) may be signing for Peterborough.

I'd be quite happy to add Jamille Matt or Padraig Amond to our squad.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun May 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Was justice and music to the ears hearing Flynn complain so much about the ref.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun May 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Butler is a good player.I would have him here.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum