{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cowley to West Brom?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Cowley to West Brom?

Postby robbingdog » Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 am

Just on sky sports he’s been interviewed at west brom
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Cowley to West Brom?

Postby ParisStag » Wed May 22, 2019 7:26 am

Watch them implode without him. He's been getting the best out of average players for a long time. I think they'd have to appoint someone very good and spend big to replace him.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 am

ParisStag wrote:Watch them implode without him. He's been getting the best out of average players for a long time. I think they'd have to appoint someone very good and spend big to replace him.

Lowe unless bury sort their mess out.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Wed May 22, 2019 8:33 am

Is Lowe to Plymouth off now then?
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed May 22, 2019 8:38 am

If they do go to West Brom I hope we play them in a friendly. It we be good to have another evening in the Vine again.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 am

Been rumoured for a while, with the success they’ve had at Lincoln much bigger clubs will be looking. If he went now he’d still have a good legacy, if they struggle next season they won’t look quite as good.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed May 22, 2019 9:47 am

Rumours around Lincoln are the purse strings are being tightened , Cowley did not sound too impressed with the budget on the local radio , Academy being cut right back and backroom staff having contracts terminated .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 am

Happy where they are apparently, no truth in the rumour according to local journo's.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am

Nathan Jones was said to have been offered a salary of £1 million by Stoke City. You could not blame Danny and Nicky Cowley were tempted by similar offers. These opportunities may not come around again.

Neil Warnock turned down an offer to manage Chelsea and stayed at Notts County. Darrell Clarke turned down an offer at Leeds United.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed May 22, 2019 11:08 am

ParisStag wrote:Watch them implode without him. He's been getting the best out of average players for a long time. I think they'd have to appoint someone very good and spend big to replace him.

There's no doubt about it Cowley seems to know how to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Many on here don't like him for some reason, but then again we on here don't like winners unless they play Barcelonaesque footy do we eh!

Cowley will leave, if not now then in the near future, he'd be daft not to. You only get the chance of a life changing job once in a while.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 22, 2019 12:06 pm

i will laugh my gooseberry off if he goes
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Agree 'Tater. It only takes one bad season for a manager and suddenly they are damaged goods I bet Kevin Nolan is regretting not moving on at the end of last season. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Brilliant managers though, bet we'd have won the league ourselves if we had them managing us
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed May 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Thing is ,at lincoln they can get away with their tactics ,like telling players to stay down injured ,so they can have a bit of a briefing with the players ,but i dont think they could get away with it in the championship or higher ,not even sure players would take them so seriously or be as in awe of them as lincolns players obviously are
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed May 22, 2019 4:06 pm

spanishstag wrote:Thing is ,at lincoln they can get away with their tactics ,like telling players to stay down injured ,so they can have a bit of a briefing with the players ,but i dont think they could get away with it in the championship or higher ,not even sure players would take them so seriously or be as in awe of them as lincolns players obviously are

Then in my opinion they'd soon get players in that showed a little respect for what they've achieved in such a short space of time. Players thinking they are better than the manager and should only be managed by Pep or Jurgen is the wrong attitude to have. All managers have to start somewhere, all players have to start somewhere. You can be a World Class player but that doesn't mean you can be a world class manager, and vice versa. Players such as Vardy who've come up the hard way and made it wouldn't be saying if Cowley became his manager , 'I can't take this bloke seriously, he was only a PE teacher and a part time manager when he started out.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 pm

Lincoln denying any approach for tweedle dee or his brother...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48365777
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed May 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Thing is ,at lincoln they can get away with their tactics ,like telling players to stay down injured ,so they can have a bit of a briefing with the players ,but i dont think they could get away with it in the championship or higher ,not even sure players would take them so seriously or be as in awe of them as lincolns players obviously are

Then in my opinion they'd soon get players in that showed a little respect for what they've achieved in such a short space of time. Players thinking they are better than the manager and should only be managed by Pep or Jurgen is the wrong attitude to have. All managers have to start somewhere, all players have to start somewhere. You can be a World Class player but that doesn't mean you can be a world class manager, and vice versa. Players such as Vardy who've come up the hard way and made it wouldn't be saying if Cowley became his manager , 'I can't take this bloke seriously, he was only a PE teacher and a part time manager when he started out.

Thing is even in the championship ,players are earning a fortune ,and it only takes a few to get any manager fired ,its no good saying it doesnt happen ,cloughie at leeds ,was the perfect example
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed May 22, 2019 7:27 pm

So unless you are best mates with some over paid ponce who only puts a shift in if he's playing for ZZ you've no hope of being a success. What a sad state football has become.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am

Why the links with West Brom?
We had the CJ rumour in the Jan transfer window and now they are linked with the Cowley's.

I guess we'll never know the real source of these rumours.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Thu May 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Start following Kieran Maguire on twitter, some detailed finance is exposed by him, very clever and in the know bloke.

Don't ever let a Lincoln fan or league two fan tell you that we were the ones trying to buy the league.

Jesus, no wonder they've got no money, they've spent a fortune in going up. around five times the amount Mansfield have.

In the 17/18 season Lincoln spent £800,000 in transfer fees alone.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu May 23, 2019 2:02 pm

On who ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 24, 2019 8:19 am

Stoney wrote:Start following Kieran Maguire on twitter, some detailed finance is exposed by him, very clever and in the know bloke.

Don't ever let a Lincoln fan or league two fan tell you that we were the ones trying to buy the league.

Jesus, no wonder they've got no money, they've spent a fortune in going up. around five times the amount Mansfield have.

No that can't be right. Everyone knows we had by far the biggest league two budget last season. Probably the largest league two budget ever. :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri May 24, 2019 9:40 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Stoney wrote:Start following Kieran Maguire on twitter, some detailed finance is exposed by him, very clever and in the know bloke.

No that can't be right. Everyone knows we had by far the biggest league two budget last season. Probably the largest league two budget ever. :lol:

It’s pretty well known we were top three, JR stated it more than once, tbf Lincoln spending has annoyingly been understated, although in their defence they averaged more than anybody else this season too.

Speaking to a Lincoln fan that’s very informative they are pretty much maxed out in revenue from crowds, general facility’s so they are probably going to require either investment or selling players to increase spending.

It’s pretty much a problem any club Lincoln/Mansfield size will have in L1.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri May 24, 2019 9:56 am

Shirley Lincoln could demolish one of those crappy outdated stands they have and build a modern day three tiered stand to help increase crowd numbers and improve the view from the other three stands, couldn't they? It wouldn't take much and the extra folk coming in would help fund it with pop and crisps sales at half time.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum