{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Cox thinks Dempster is a shrewd appointment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Cox thinks Dempster is a shrewd appointment

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 19, 2019 11:12 am

tuopolfpilf wrote:Paul Cox thought Hoofing the ball was a good tactic

Lets give Demster a chance ..... but I cannot understand why once again the vacant managerial post was not advertised

That wasn't his main tactic.... if you ever watched training you'd know that. He just knew that he didn't have the players to play football, so opted to play with wingers like meikle and Briscoe and a big target man like Rheady and play for second balls, which we were great at... see Hereford away. We did pass it about at times but not ever for the sake of it, the goal against Lincoln in the FA cup reply to put us against Liverpool was a great passing move. Cox was perfect for that league, we had great balance. I think its really harsh to say he was just a long ball merchant
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:16 am

Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age but doesn't this seem as a it if a stop gap? Let me explain. The 2 "safe options" both slated the previous manager and his signings (rightly or wrongly is not the issue here) and both wanted to move players under contract on. It just feel like we are seeing what Dempster can do with what DF had. If it fails then a new manager can come in and start with a "clean slate". I guess the only way to disprove this would be the contract lengths of players Dempster is allowed to sign.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun May 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:Paul Cox thought Hoofing the ball was a good tactic

Lets give Demster a chance ..... but I cannot understand why once again the vacant managerial post was not advertised

That wasn't his main tactic.... if you ever watched training you'd know that. He just knew that he didn't have the players to play football ( maybe he needed players like Sam clucas )so opted to play with wingers like meikle and Briscoe and a big target man like Rheady and play for second balls, which we were great at... see Hereford away. We did pass it about at times but not ever for the sake of it, the goal against Lincoln in the FA cup reply to put us against Liverpool was a great passing move. Cox was perfect for that league, we had great balance. I think its really harsh to say he was just a long ball merchant
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun May 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Been saying it for ages I'd get Murray in as chief scout or Director of football.

Dealing with transfers.

He signed all our best players.

Can we pack this in yet :roll:
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun May 19, 2019 8:35 pm

WVStag wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Been saying it for ages I'd get Murray in as chief scout or Director of football.

Dealing with transfers.

He signed all our best players.

Can we pack this in yet :roll:

Please elaborate why this is such a bad Idea WV ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Graham Brown would be a much better scout than Murray. Brown has been a professional scout for many years. The job entails far more than one might think - it is also all about analysing the opposition.

Murray wasn't that great. (He chose 2 good players in Pearce & Benning, but thats all - he also signed some poor players). And I really don't think we need a Director of Football.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sun May 19, 2019 9:52 pm

JD will be inundated with agents offering various players. Given that 90% of our players are under contract for next season, we actually only need two good strikers, a midfielder, cover for full back, plus a GK until Bobby is fit and possibly a replacement winger for CJ.

Football is about confidence. If players lack confidence in an inexperienced manager how many will put in transfer requests or refuse to join the club, plus will Championship teams send loan players to be developed by an inexperienced manager.

We need an experienced D of F to provide the confidence.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sun May 19, 2019 10:05 pm

sunray wrote:
JD will be inundated with agents offering various players. Given that 90% of our players are under contract for next season, we actually only need two good strikers, a midfielder, cover for full back, plus a GK until Bobby is fit and possibly a replacement winger for CJ.

Football is about confidence. If players lack confidence in an inexperienced manager how many will put in transfer requests or refuse to join the club, plus will Championship teams send loan players to be developed by an inexperienced manager.

We need an experienced D of F to provide the confidence.

They're more likely to lack confidence in a serial failure or in a manager whose reputation precedes him.

Footballers follow the money by and large I doubt many give a toss if they've heard of the manager or not.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:JD is not a risk. Tell me what the safe options achieved? Evans or Flitcroft, or even Curle years ago.....exactly, they all achieved nothing. This is a sensible option imo. Lots of fans wanted JD a year ago. I trust JR with this one and anyway it’s his money!!!

Surely JD is a risk.

He's unproven at 1st team management, which I'd argue demands a far higher level of skill & pressure to where he was before. We know little of how his transfer dealings work in terms of contacts & negotiation. We also don't know how he'll handle the media or his relationship with 1st team, fans or owner at this level.

I'm not doubting him per se, just saying these are large grey areas, and a huge step up from where he was. I hope I'm just being overly cautious & will back him from the off, but those are clear risks imo

Every manager is a risk, but you have a fairly safe assumption they will be similar to the previous form. But for 1 victory over the season we'd probably not think DF a failure
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:JD is not a risk. Tell me what the safe options achieved? Evans or Flitcroft, or even Curle years ago.....exactly, they all achieved nothing. This is a sensible option imo. Lots of fans wanted JD a year ago. I trust JR with this one and anyway it’s his money!!!

Surely JD is a risk.

He's unproven at 1st team management, which I'd argue demands a far higher level of skill & pressure to where he was before. We know little of how his transfer dealings work in terms of contacts & negotiation. We also don't know how he'll handle the media or his relationship with 1st team, fans or owner at this level.

I'm not doubting him per se, just saying these are large grey areas, and a huge step up from where he was. I hope I'm just being overly cautious & will back him from the off, but those are clear risks imo

Every manager is a risk, but you have a fairly safe assumption they will be similar to the previous form. But for 1 victory over the season we'd probably not think DF a failure

Handling the media is a doddle MotC. Just quote from the Division 4 Managers Bumper Book of Cliches & Quotes (it's been standard issue to managers at this level since 1973) and never admit responsibility for any defeat. Sorted
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 am

Managers have their own special input to media though, things that are personal to them.
Paul Cox, 'They're good honest boys'.

Adam Murray, 'They're a big club at this level', (didn't matter who they were or what position in the table they were).

The Scottish Manager, 'The ref this, the ref that, the ref the other :x :cry: :evil: :twisted:

David Flitcroft, 'We need to galvanize the boys'.

Wonder what John's catchphrase will be? :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Mon May 20, 2019 7:05 am

Spiritater wrote:Managers have their own special input to media though, things that are personal to them.

Adam Murray, 'They're a big club at this level', (didn't matter who they were or what position in the table they were).

The Scottish Manager, 'The ref this, the ref that, the ref the other :x :cry: :evil: :twisted:

I always liked Evans “make no mistake, these are a top 7 side” about everyone in the division :roll:
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sunray » Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am

John Dempster "I don't know how to stop them winning every game"

Or

"John please keep my old job open for me"
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 am

I thought Paul Cox was "y'know"?

As for players not willing to sign for an unknown manager. Evans had no issue getting players to sign for a known bully and *cough* (pardon my French).
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am

Cox also said mindset a lot.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 am

I used to like when Cox said we needed to bite and scratch. Made me chuckle to myself every time.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 20, 2019 11:14 am

David Holdsworth's was 'inverted' and 'pragmatic' wasn't it?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 am

Spiritater wrote:David Holdsworth's was 'inverted' and 'pragmatic' wasn't it?

players have bought in
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon May 20, 2019 11:58 am

Sneag wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Surely JD is a risk.

Handling the media is a doddle MotC. Just quote from the Division 4 Managers Bumper Book of Cliches & Quotes (it's been standard issue to managers at this level since 1973) and never admit responsibility for any defeat. Sorted

As long as Demps doesn't sound dull in post match interviews, or that's his management career written-off! ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 pm

Spiritater wrote:Managers have their own special input to media though, things that are personal to them.

Murray "That extra 10%"
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Holdsworth was "equations" as well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Sneag wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Surely JD is a risk.

As long as Demps doesn't sound dull in post match interviews, or that's his management career written-off! ;)

If he takes us up he could send a glass eye to sleep for all I care. It's bull masking failure that gets my goat.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

I saw Paul cox selling man city flags and scarves outside piccadilly station Manchester this afternoon, He gets about a bit and not afraid of a bit of graft.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 am

The One wrote:

Murray "That extra 10%"

Don't forgot Duncan and his DVD's
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am

How many promotions did the Scottish Manager win. Was it 99 or 100? He told us that many times you'd think I'd have remembered. :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum