{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our ground

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our ground

Postby Amberheart » Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Barrel of the Best wrote:I think the club re-establishing itself in the football league is good enough reason to justify doing something with the Bishop St stand. Taking that dilapidated eyesore into League One would be a joke.
Even tidying it up as other three sided grounds have done in the past.
It seems ironic that the QLE proudly states The Oldest Professional Football Ground in the World then there's that indescribable mess next to it.

Good post . my feelings exactly
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Martian » Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Haslam should have moved the West Stand - IG - 20 yards to the west - might still have to happen - to make space for a decent stand on the Bshop Street side without having to move the residents out
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Martian wrote:Haslam should have moved the West Stand - IG - 20 yards to the west - might still have to happen - to make space for a decent stand on the Bshop Street side without having to move the residents out

The plan was to do just that and rotate the pitch 90 degrees. The Calver criminal did it in the cheap.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 pm

New stands and hotels have no chance of being built now. How can you finance them when you are cutting back on the football team?

Both would be owned by One Call Estates not MTFC. So can MTFC afford or be willing to pay an increased rent for a new stand whilst in L2
Logistically do you need to build the stand before the hotel is built but looking at the plans doesn't seem to be a problem.
Presumably OCE can raise the money to build both with guaranteed tenants to cover any financial loans.
Don't think the new hotel actually fills in the corner just blocks the view from the ground.
If you knock down BS without a new stand you loss sponsorship space, seats in UWS to accommodate the cameras and create a bigger eyesore.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 pm

So the answer is to build a 2,000 seater stand on the Bishop St. side. - And incorporate the TV cameras/media centre in that stand.

Move the pitch a few yards towards the West Stand (and incorporate the dug-outs in the West Stand).

Stick the scoreboard in one of the BS corners, or scrap it.

Failing that - just demolish the BS stand and have the TV cameras and technical area there until we build a new stand.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Vice President wrote:So the answer is to build a 2,000 seater stand on the Bishop St. side. - And incorporate the TV cameras/media centre in that stand.

Move the pitch a few yards towards the West Stand (and incorporate the dug-outs in the West Stand).

Failing that - just demolish the BS stand and have the TV cameras and technical area there until we build a new stand.

Or stick the scoreboard in a skip.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 am

cornish stag wrote:Why couldn't we do similar to Exeter's marsh Kia stand? Holds about a thousand standing away fans, made of steel steps and could easily be modified if needed in the future.
This stand was only renovated last year, so I assume it's still ok to build new standing terraces?

Accrington did a new ‘steel step’ sort of upgrade too, it’s cheaper but does the job.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 am

Conker wrote:
cornish stag wrote:Why couldn't we do similar to Exeter's marsh Kia stand? Holds about a thousand standing away fans, made of steel steps and could easily be modified if needed in the future.
This stand was only renovated last year, so I assume it's still ok to build new standing terraces?

Accrington did a new ‘steel step’ sort of upgrade too, it’s cheaper but does the job.

Accrington's new one cost £1M
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Sneag wrote:
Vice President wrote:So the answer is to build a 2,000 seater stand on the Bishop St. side. - And incorporate the TV cameras/media centre in that stand.

Or stick the scoreboard in a skip.

Yep, scoreboard in a skip, it would need to be a big one. Even a row of bus shelters would look better than what we have now along that side of the ground, it desperately needs doing.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon May 20, 2019 4:34 pm

The scoreboard is neither use nor ornament.Certainly no ornament.Even Accrington have a better scoreboard than ours.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 20, 2019 4:41 pm

geoffhill wrote:The scoreboard is neither use nor ornament.Certainly no ornament.Even Accrington have a better scoreboard than ours.

And a better team ;)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Mon May 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Skip the scoreboard, it’s rubbish . The whole of bishop street looks awful..
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 20, 2019 5:46 pm

For me the priority is league 1.

Yes it would be nice to have a tidy, pretty ground but it's not a priority whilst we are league 2

Darlington had a pretty new ground with a relatively big capacity, but it ain't done them much good.

One thing I do agree on. Skip the scoreboard.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Scrap the scoreboard. I hate the word 'tinpot' but having that up and with a few of the bulbs don't work towards the middle of it just looks awful and tinpot :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 am

Sure the stand would have been sorted if we had got to league 1 but guess it will stay like this for another season or 2 !!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 21, 2019 11:11 am

Amber Andy wrote:For me the priority is league 1.

Yes it would be nice to have a tidy, pretty ground but it's not a priority whilst we are league 2

Darlington had a pretty new ground with a relatively big capacity, but it ain't done them much good.

One thing I do agree on. Skip the scoreboard.

The Darlington example is ridiculous, a 25,000 seater for a club that’s smaller than us is no way comparing to having the potential to chuck more home/away fans in the bish when needed.
Last edited by Conker on Tue May 21, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 21, 2019 11:15 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:

Accrington's new one cost £1M

Not bad for a 1000+ seated and covered stand with good facilities, but I get the point.

If JR said he could not justify spending that on a new stand, you cannot really argue against it but I still think at a minimum we should at least pull that shack down and erect a fence for the sponsorship for a improvement to overall feeling.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Pull it down.It looks awful.I still think building the hotel first is the way to go.When we get promotion then build a new stand.The extra funding we get would help towards the cost.Better no scoreboard at all rather than that eyesore.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:27 pm

It would be nice if the stand could have the seating at the same level as the igu to give a good view and have a gym / shops / offices underneath to bring in some extra money to the club.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Vice President » Wed May 22, 2019 7:44 pm

geoffhill wrote:Pull it down.It looks awful.I still think building the hotel first is the way to go.When we get promotion then build a new stand.The extra funding we get would help towards the cost.Better no scoreboard at all rather than that eyesore.

Why wait until promotion? - What if that never happens? Plenty of lesser clubs than ourselves have four sided grounds. Indeed 99% of all football clubs have four sided grounds (regardless of which league they are in). Our ground will always be 'tinpot' until we sort out the Bishop St. side. It is far, far more important than an irrelevant Hotel. And the opinion polls support that view.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Vice President wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Pull it down.It looks awful.I still think building the hotel first is the way to go.When we get promotion then build a new stand.The extra funding we get would help towards the cost.Better no scoreboard at all rather than that eyesore.

Why wait until promotion? - What if that never happens? Plenty of lesser clubs than ourselves have four sided grounds. Indeed 99% of all football clubs have four sided grounds (regardless of which league they are in). Our ground will always be 'tinpot' until we sort out the Bishop St. side. It is far, far more important than an irrelevant Hotel. And the opinion polls support that view.

TBH the hotels is relevant specially if it’s going to increase our income. A new stand isn’t going to attract additional home fans and if we’re allowed to put additional Away fans in there it still won’t rival an hotel as a income generator.

I want both to be completed but would rather see the hotel come first.
Last edited by MTFCMAD on Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Trenam » Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 pm

Build the hotel ,and add sections to north and south stands so it looks like a continuous ground ,if and when we progress up the leagues, then build a three tier stand to join up to the filled in corners suggested. 1946/47 stag
Trenam
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby chip63 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:55 pm

Safe standing would be brilliant but access from quarry lane only ?
A few things need sorting after that. Toilets, fire exits, stewards and prob noise pollution for bishop street residents.
Maybe press boxes or hospitality boxes or a virtual reality screen of a crowd singing the whole game.
Or even better a virtual reality live cam of everyone watching on I follow.
It's the future, we all stay at home and our faces are projected on to the seats.
No police costs or steward costs.
All the trouble makers can ask the away fans for a fight on Xbox or whatever.
You heard it here first. :D
:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:23 pm

You could smarten that side of the ground without the expense of pulling it down or building new.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Trenam wrote:Build the hotel ,and add sections to north and south stands so it looks like a continuous ground ,if and when we progress up the leagues, then build a three tier stand to join up to the filled in corners suggested. 1946/47 stag

I think that a 'four sided ground' is far more important than a hotel, adding sections to the corners, or adding additional tiers.
The ground is only a '3/4 ground' at the moment. Ignoring that missing 1/4 and adding to the other 3/4 will make it even more unbalanced.

99% of football grounds, irrespective of their status, or wherever in the world ..... have 4 sides.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum