{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 am

There were some great quotes from David Flitcroft in his final interview with BBC Radio Nottingham.

"This was the most difficult job that I've ever had coming into this place that was broken that was wrong in every way. No moral values. It did not match my own values. We've had to work really hard with staff and everybody connected with the club. We've had to work really hard on that."

"The supporters have been phenomenal."

Final quote:

"It hurts man. It hurts!.

"The horror. The horror!" - Kurtz in Heart of Darkness/Apocolypse Now

https://www.facebook.com/BBCNottinghamS ... 581157212/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 am

After Evans I can imagine the horrible mess the playing side was in but having said that, he had the money and didn't do the job.

My view is he would have had another year, get rid of the remnants of Evans, high wages etc, and try again.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am

oldweststander wrote:After Evans I can imagine the horrible mess the playing side was in but having said that, he had the money and didn't do the job.

My view is he would have had another year, get rid of the remnants of Evans, high wages etc, and try again.

I'd been critical of him and even I said he should stay another year, though the concept didn't thrill me.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Anybody think this went beyond football and is linked in part to his flat refusal to use the RH academy.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:Anybody think this went beyond football and is linked in part to his flat refusal to use the RH academy.

Only the astro turf, he kept saying he'd use the grass pitches when they are ready.

anyone who plays regular on a 3g, knows its not the kindest to the body.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby SuffolkStag » Wed May 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Son Of Sherwood wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Son Of Sherwood wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Bradders wrote:I wonder if the letter from the FA apologising for the ref effectively denying his team promotion, arrived before or after Flitcroft getting the sack?
I'm aware that the failure is not all down to the official, but that was almost the last nail in the coffin. I guess he'll have the apology framed, and displayed alongside the other one.

Letter ?

Mr Flicroft said pre match on Sunday that he'd received an apology from the referees association regarding the two decisions they said the ref had got wrong on Thursday.

You could argue that Thursdays ref cost Mr Flitcroft his job, maybe/possibly.

Didn’t know that.

Edit to add

Do you have any evidence of this ? If it’s accurate then I’m amazed there’s not more being made of it.

Just this at 3 minutes 55 seconds in...

He doesn't say anything about a letter. Had there been one it would have amounted to a formal apology and surely the club would have made it public. Do the referees association even do that sort of thing?
SuffolkStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:Anybody think this went beyond football and is linked in part to his flat refusal to use the RH academy.

And he had a point. The training ground wasn't ready for the first team, and they could only train on the 4G which is a nightmare for injuries.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed May 15, 2019 12:40 pm

James wrote:

And he had a point. The training ground wasn't ready for the first team, and they could only train on the 4G which is a nightmare for injuries.

In that case are we getting a new "5G" one in the near future. I hear rumours that Huawei have been taking to our Government regarding building these on our behalf. Apparently they are much faster than 4G? Can Mr Radford get our name on the list in advance?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm

How many players on twitter have thanked him or said anything positive about him apart from Davies?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Has Paul Anderson or Zander Diamond said anything?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Has Paul Anderson or Zander Diamond said anything?

Anderson's wife has. Anderson also liked tweets confirming his departure, and Chipperfield's barbed tweet yesterday, as well as Lawrence Vigoroux's (former Swindon GK)

He's deleted his tweet from after the play-off the other night.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed May 15, 2019 2:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Anderson's wife has. Anderson also liked tweets confirming his departure, and Chipperfield's barbed tweet yesterday, as well as Lawrence Vigoroux's (former Swindon GK)

What did he tweet the other night?
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed May 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

When we lost he tweeted 'To tweet or not to tweet' whilst quoting Mansfield reporting we had lost.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Stoney wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

When we lost he tweeted 'To tweet or not to tweet' whilst quoting Mansfield reporting we had lost.

Classy. Paid him a fortune to sit on his backside for months on end :roll:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed May 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Classy. Paid him a fortune to sit on his backside for months on end :roll:

Revelling in someone else’s misfortune. Those tweets tell us more about them than Flitcroft.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Flitcroft was a very hard working and very decent guy although I was not a big fan and with luck he might have been issuing the retained list this week and planning for the assault on the Championship.

Football is very cruel sport these days.

very true.

I have no doubt we'd have finished 2nd without Bobby and white being injured. White is an irreplaceable win that formation and playing style.

Then why didn’t he change the formation instead of playing people out of position.

Seemed like a good guy but it is clear he had objectives this season set by JR/CR after last seasons nightmare of taking a club from 4th to 8th. He didn’t meet them, so has been let go.

He has been let down by his own tactical decisions, the basic requirement for a competent league manager.

It's simple. So many on here was upset he changed the style from what Evans was playing. Citing it as the reason we failed to cement the play-off spot we was in. SO he couldn't change at that stage of the season again. He learnt from that mistake and it ended up still being a mistake.

It can't be both ways, surely.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 am

gazza1988 wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Flitcroft was a very hard working and very decent guy although I was not a big fan and with luck he might have been issuing the retained list this week and planning for the assault on the Championship.

very true.

I have no doubt we'd have finished 2nd without Bobby and white being injured. White is an irreplaceable win that formation and playing style.

Then why didn’t he change the formation instead of playing people out of position.

Seemed like a good guy but it is clear he had objectives this season set by JR/CR after last seasons nightmare of taking a club from 4th to 8th. He didn’t meet them, so has been let go.

He has been let down by his own tactical decisions, the basic requirement for a competent league manager.

It's simple. So many on here was upset he changed the style from what Evans was playing. Citing it as the reason we failed to cement the play-off spot we was in. SO he couldn't change at that stage of the season again. He learnt from that mistake and it ended up still being a mistake.

Or he had a set way of playing and couldn't adapt to playing Evans system (whatever that was) for a dizen games. When white got injured he still couldn't adapt from that rigid 5 at the back.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am

gazza1988 wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:

very true.

Well it can - this was his squad, therefore you would assume all season he would have worked on a Plan A and a Plan B (e.g 4 at the back). Surely he knew if white got injured then he might have to scrap the back 5?

Coming into a different mans squad and completely changing the style is different to changing the formation of your squad due to injuries.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Chander Lear wrote:

Only the astro turf, he kept saying he'd use the grass pitches when they are ready.

anyone who plays regular on a 3g, knows its not the kindest to the body.

But Rob insists it's the bee's knee's and the way forward, insisting all clubs in the EFL should dig up their pitches and we should play on plastic forever more.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:03 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:

very true.

Well it can - this was his squad, therefore you would assume all season he would have worked on a Plan A and a Plan B (e.g 4 at the back). Surely he knew if white got injured then he might have to scrap the back 5?

Coming into a different mans squad and completely changing the style is different to changing the formation of your squad due to injuries.

Back 5 and back 4 is irrelevant if you don't have a RB/RWB. Or are we playing CBs there?

We go 4 at the back, Who loses out in midfield? Who will go on the right wing? At the time the only right wingers we had were Macca (injured) and Anderson (like that was going to happen) It's shoehorning in players.

What this all boils down to is the back 3, who have been so solid all season. A very big plus point and foundation of our successes during the season. It's not something you just change.

Besides for every comment about how a back 4 would have got us the win(s) to get us promoted. There is equal weighting to the opposite in which it could have upset the side by weakening the foundations and see us crumble. There is absolutely no way we can say for 100% certainty a result could have panned out any different by changing the shape. We could have gone more attacking in a 1-0 loss and still lose 3-2.

We can say that had Olejnik and/or White not got injured we would be promoted. The evidence would point to that. However they could have been in training and after a robust challenge by one of them could have took Walker out for the season, as an example, then how would the season have ended. There are too many variables.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 pm

The black and white of it was whereas he, the radfords and the fans all wanted him to succeed he couldn’t do what mattered when push come to shove.

Again, it’s a shame as he seemed a really nice, decent, honest guy but he wasn’t able to demonstrate how he would improve on his shortcomings as manager.

I still actually feel like we’ve been burgled - just how given where we were in February with the ridiculous resources provided - and about another 4 or so chances to get promoted - are we still on league 2 - ultimately that’s why Dave is no longer employed and that failure will be what he’s remembered for.

Kinda tragic for us all

It’s ironic that some who had a thing for flitcroft - a manager who started well then failed - hated Paul cox so much - a manager who could produce when it mattered
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat May 18, 2019 4:49 am

adamstag wrote:The black and white of it was whereas he, the radfords and the fans all wanted him to succeed he couldn’t do what mattered when push come to shove.

Again, it’s a shame as he seemed a really nice, decent, honest guy but he wasn’t able to demonstrate how he would improve on his shortcomings as manager.

I still actually feel like we’ve been burgled - just how given where we were in February with the ridiculous resources provided - and about another 4 or so chances to get promoted - are we still on league 2 - ultimately that’s why Dave is no longer employed and that failure will be what he’s remembered for.

Kinda tragic for us all

It’s ironic that some who had a thing for flitcroft - a manager who started well then failed - hated Paul cox so much - a manager who could produce when it mattered

Great post
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat May 18, 2019 7:49 am

Was slightly tipsy when I wrote it.

Maybe he will have learned next time he gets a job!
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat May 18, 2019 8:17 am

We talk about back 3s and 4s, discuss who would be sacrificed in midfield if such changes were made mid game etc.
We are forgetting the primary reason we failed, missed chances by our strikers, only Walker showed anything and he should have scored more, Rose and Ajose looked the part until the ball came to them in the box.

If Rose had netted a third of the chances he missed we would gave been promoted by Easter.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but as it turned out Rose should have been sold for the £200k offered by the Posh, now he isn't worth a quarter of that and IMO that was not DF's fault.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat May 18, 2019 8:27 am

oldweststander wrote:We talk about back 3s and 4s, discuss who would be sacrificed in midfield if such changes were made mid game etc.
We are forgetting the primary reason we failed, missed chances by our strikers, only Walker showed anything and he should have scored more, Rose and Ajose looked the part until the ball came to them in the box.

If Rose had netted a third of the chances he missed we would gave been promoted by Easter.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but as it turned out Rose should have been sold for the £200k offered by the Posh, now he isn't worth a quarter of that and IMO that was not DF's fault.

No it wasn't D F's fault they missed. What was his fault was the fact he ran his team for a full season with inadequate strikers on the books.

It was obvious to every man and his dog from August that we needed at least one other striker on the books, as demonstrated by the huge number of discussions on this board. DF didn't address this and that ultimately brought about his downfall.

You could forgive him for not acting in August but his failure in January was just sheer neglect. And before everyone jumps up and shouts about Evans failures holding him back, one of those failures, Callum Butcher could have given us the front muscle after January. I'm not saying he would have scored dozens but the ball wouldn't have kept coming back and we may have won a few headers from the endless hoof we resorted to.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum