{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby Marky Mark » Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 pm

From the retained list you can deduce that JR got rid of DF because he wasn’t getting the best out of the players, otherwise we’d have seen a whole bunch of players on the transfer list. Other than the loanees going back JD has basically got the same squad to deal with, there clearly won’t be many additions.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:Good luck will.

Nice to see an ex-player showing a bit of class.

Good luck Will, from me too.

Not on Twitter myself so I hope one or two off here wish him well

He has 35 replies.

Never my favourite player but seems a good bloke, I’ve wished him good luck.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Assuming CJ is leaving, we need some wingers in and a quick striker for sure. Even if JD is planning to play 3-5-2, at least the wingers would give him the flexibility to switch it up.

Even if CJ stays we’ll still need options, I would rather have him in his preferred position than switching position every 5 mins because we’ve got no other option. That said I’d expect a bigger club being interested in CJ, we know a few have been watching him for a while.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Marky Mark wrote:From the retained list you can deduce that JR got rid of DF because he wasn’t getting the best out of the players, otherwise we’d have seen a whole bunch of players on the transfer list. Other than the loanees going back JD has basically got the same squad to deal with, there clearly won’t be many additions.

one thing's for sure we need some cover, we can't be having injuries ballsing everything up again
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:09 pm

It will be interesting. I would expect offers for CJ. Even if we get £500k that's a potential to add £9k p/w to the wage budget.

Only Demps knows what formation(s) he will play. If Turner signs a new deal then we would have 5 CB at the club, If he plays a back 4 then we have the right amount of CB 2 starters, 2 backups and a YT. If he goes 3 at the back then I'd expect another but not a priority.

Let's look at the positions we have or potentially have (not in any particular order):

GK
Logan
Olejnik?

RB
White

RWB
White
CJ - maybe

CB
Pearce
Preston
Sweeney
Gibbens
Turner??

LB
Mal Benning

LWB
Mal Benning
Jason Law (did very well in the 1 game he played this position)?
CJ

RM/RW
Macca - played here most of his career
Omari Sterling-James

CM
Bishop
Mellis??
Khan
Tomlinson
Smith
Macca

LM/LW
CJ
Khan - I think he was played left wing for Yeovil. not 100% though

ST
Rose
Davies
Law (original position no idea if he will play there)
Graham
OSJ played there for Brackley on loan, I believe

So looking at that we definitely need a striker or 2, and some options out wide both at full back and winger and even wing back if JD goes this route. If he is playing a back 4 then I'd be happy enough to sign Gethin Jones, he had to learn right wing back pretty quickly and did ok in my eyes, not saying he was spectacular but he did ok. It also shows how limited we were out wide. Yes you could argue that Grant played left wing for County when they reached the play offs so is an option so is Jones at RB and Macca RM.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 pm

When you consider that, budget wise, you include Diamond (depending on how retirement though injury works with regards to our budget) and Anderson as released in the retained list because they took up a portion of last seasons budget too. It will give a strong indicator of whether the budget has been cut. I would guesstimate that, added together, the released player (in this list and last season) and loan players would equate to around £25k-30k p/w. Which, for the 11 players let go, would be an average wage of £2k-3k per player. Which when you consider that there were strong rumours Anderson got £4k and Tyler was £5k. Considering the loans were from L1/Championship clubs, and I'd expect we would be paying their full wage, that doesn't feel far off.

This also doesn't include the backroom staff we have let go. It is all supposition of course but we already have a strong spine of the team (albeit it does get somewhat weaker the further up the pitch you go) so 2x strikers, 1 RB, 1 RM, 1 LB and 1 LM and we are pretty much there assuming nobody else leaves and those offered new deals stay. So 6 more players who, according to my calculations above, we could pay them £4k per week each. Having said that though that would blow our budget before the season has even started.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed May 15, 2019 8:52 pm

We need to get Luke O’Neill signed up sharpish
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 pm

part time pete wrote:We need to get Luke O’Neill signed up sharpish

Luke and JD did play in the same stags side. Would be a good piece of business. However I feel he is looking to climb the leagues or stay in L1 and not descend the leagues. However, money talks.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 pm

There are some superb players out of contract at the moment and I'm 100% sure Demps knows all about them.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Realistically he could only release those out of contract on his second day in the job. Feel a few may move to transfer listed, formally or otherwise over coming weeks. Regardless that’s still a reasonably strong squad and I wouldn’t want a rip it up and start again approach, otherwise known as a Notts County
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Sam Wilson also released.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Our defence is one of the best in this league so let's keep them.
Midfield needs two more players maybe defensive midfielders.
Attack needs two more players and releasing Danny would not hurt.
Hopefully we play 3 4 3 at home and 4 4 2 away if needed.
I think the best asset we have is fitness and I hope it continues.
Yes your right I haven't got a clue what I'm on about but I'm allowed my thought.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 pm

I think we need another attacking midfield player as we do not score enough goals from midfield. Reece Brown or Jamie Devitt would be good signings. Jay O'Shea is out of contract at Bury and not getting paid and scored 15 goals last season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Word of caution on the retained list.

Just because the club haven't explicitly transfer listed players, it doesn't mean they won't accept offers for players should they arise, or have secretly made it known that certain players are available.

They may have learned from last year when they found it difficult to shift players they had listed. Also, they will be aware of all the budget cutting talk and listing players publicly would make that obvious. Not saying this is the case, but take it with a pinch of salt.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 am

Marky Mark wrote:From the retained list you can deduce that JR got rid of DF because he wasn’t getting the best out of the players, otherwise we’d have seen a whole bunch of players on the transfer list. Other than the loanees going back JD has basically got the same squad to deal with, there clearly won’t be many additions.

That's a good point.

Unless we replace Tyler Walker effectively ( which won't be cheap ), I can't see us at the top end of the table. Also we may need to sign two strikers depending on the fitness of Davies.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 am

Surprised Hakeem got released, with JD having worked with him for 4 seasons.
You'd expect a youth teamer having been in and around the first team for as long as he has now would have had more of a chance.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu May 16, 2019 5:56 am

stagmanrob wrote:Surprised Hakeem got released, with JD having worked with him for 4 seasons.
You'd expect a youth teamer having been in and around the first team for as long as he has now would have had more of a chance.

Thats probably the point. They rate blake higher than hakeem (different positions i know), and Hakeem hadnt progressed enough during his loan stints.

He was always going this season
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 am

Evans must have given Sterling James one hell of a contract if he’s now on his third season.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu May 16, 2019 6:38 am

Unfortunately Zane has not improved at the rate required over the last two years. Sinclair and Knowles look a better proposition. Sad.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 am

What’s encouraging is that we are not having a wholesale clearout- shows contracts are being managed well and we will have continuity

I don’t buy all the conspiracy theories. In football you have to accept that everyone has his price so more could leave obviously but for me let’s take things at face value

DF went because we didn’t get promoted, JD was appointed because JR knows and rates him, we prefer that to someone who has failed elsewhere

Chairman offered full backing

Seems pretty straightforward to me

Am I missing something?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

daddycool wrote:Evans must have given Sterling James one hell of a contract if he’s now on his third season.

I've not read how his loan spell went. I always thought he looked very promising.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am

Very Nice tweet from Gethin Jones wishing the club and fans well etc. Nice to see players part ways with a little decorum
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am

Jones and Atkinson did their bit to try to get us over the line and wish them both well in their future careers.

Atkinson could have had more of a run I feel.
Agree don't think we will be adding many players but a very good striker is important over anything else.
Hope Turner signs, not sure about Mellis.
Like Macca a lot but he has to improve more for next season and turn the energy and enthusiasm he has into an end product more.

Like to see more use and encouragement/development of Omari Sterling and u feel and hope with JD that he will get his chance maybe.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am

Rob wrote:
daddycool wrote:Evans must have given Sterling James one hell of a contract if he’s now on his third season.

I've not read how his loan spell went. I always thought he looked very promising.

Mostly been a sub I believe. Don't think he will cut it at this level.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am

Kernow wrote:Unfortunately Zane has not improved at the rate required over the last two years. Sinclair and Knowles look a better proposition. Sad.

Wait, what, so Zayn Hakeem isn't good enough for our first team? Maybe that's why Flitcroft never used him rather him having some vendetta against the youth team like some were making out....
James
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum