{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Congratulations John Dempster

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Congratulations John Dempster

Postby Conker » Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am

James wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:
James wrote:Yeah, and get Ian Deakin back as GK Coach, Nick Wright as Kitman and Lee Stevenson as Cleaner whilst we're at it.

Didn't Murray sign some of our best current players on an absolute shoe string? Or we can, you know, chuck insane amounts at another Grant....

Murray also signed Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Michael Raynes, Ricky Ravenhill, James Baxendale, Jeffrey Monakana Lenny Pidgley etc.

That’s fair, but I think overall Murray did a good job recruitment wise.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bluenyellow » Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Paul Cox nailed on for a role in his staff listening to that.

maybe,but he did say hes told the them about the owners and the way the club is run etc,surley coxy knows all that so it maybe others
Doc said i needed a pacemaker,so ive now got a flippin kenyan 2 yds in front of me everywhere i go.
bluenyellow
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby StagsForLIFE » Wed May 15, 2019 10:43 am

James wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:
James wrote:Yeah, and get Ian Deakin back as GK Coach, Nick Wright as Kitman and Lee Stevenson as Cleaner whilst we're at it.

Didn't Murray sign some of our best current players on an absolute shoe string? Or we can, you know, chuck insane amounts at another Grant....

Murray also signed Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Michael Raynes, Ricky Ravenhill, James Baxendale, Jeffrey Monakana Lenny Pidgley etc.

Ravenhill and Pidgeley did a job from memory in the 14/15 season.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby london amber stag » Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

Paul Cox is definitely in line for a job. It is no coincidence that he was outside Field Mill last night being interviewed by Charlie Slater and JD alluded in that interview, that he had spoken to some people already about key positions at the club.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 am

James wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:

Evans and Flitcroft also signed poor players. The only players that rarely get slated on this forum are Murray signings
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 15, 2019 11:07 am

The players that have done well, Murray went to watch a few times before signing... the ones that didn't were signed off their reputation, name and availability.

Murray would of built a great team if he was fully backed.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed May 15, 2019 11:56 am

WVStag wrote:This whole situation is just completely disappointing. Sacking Flitcroft was understandable but literally everything else from there is enough to make anyone concerned. The rumours of the personnel coming into support JD also might just be rumours, but they don't help matters (depending on your view I guess). So uninspiring from where I'm sat.

Mad what has happened in the space of a few days.

Get a grip man, in Flitcrofts favourite quote "We re-group an go again" :mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am

it’s doing the rounds on Facebook that Clueless is coming in as his number two !!!!!

i’m sure JD will take his time and get the right man in
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Wed May 15, 2019 12:03 pm

JD said he’s spoken to people about joining him, saying he’s explained to them what the owners are like and what a good club it is..?

Surely if that was Paul Cox he knows the club?
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Jimstag » Wed May 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Cox should be a club legend, I know the style was awful but he got us out of the pit of misery. I know a lot of other stuff happened but he got the hard job done. I just hope he doesn’t bring his style of play back with him! I expect JD to have a say in that, he’s got his own way which has been very successful at youth level.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:it’s doing the rounds on Facebook that Clueless is coming in as his number two !!!!!

I didn't realise you were coming in as the number two!??!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Jimstag wrote:Cox should be a club legend, I know the style was awful but he got us out of the pit of misery. I know a lot of other stuff happened but he got the hard job done. I just hope he doesn’t bring his style of play back with him! I expect JD to have a say in that, he’s got his own way which has been very successful at youth level.

The style wasnt that bad when we were champions.... it was when they were in league two and not good enough, that first season back we finished 11th and if we would of tried to play football we would of gone straight back down.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Newport have done pretty well with a direct style of football including set pieces and long throws.

I'm a big fan of Paul Cox but I don't think it would be a good move for him to return to the club. It's also horses for courses. Paul Cox has a better knowledge of the National League than Leagues 1 and 2.

I'm sure JD can always give Coxy a ring for a few tips if necessary.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 2:47 pm

I have a lot of time for PC for what he did for us in the conference but what does he bring to the table at this level as an assistant manager? Limited football league experience and contacts and, let's face it, he's hardly much of a football philosopher. The only way this would make sense is if we go for a direct and pragmatic style; sacrificing style for substance, which has worked for the chairman in the past.

The other explanation is that Dempster simply doesn't have that many people he could call on or in whom he trusts to fulfill this role.

Alternatively it might be someone completely different, in which case this is all irrelevant!
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Coxy's level is non league. We should be moving forward under Dempster, Not bringing back Cox or Murray as assistant. I'll take either to replace Dempster as head of youth.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Coxy's level is non league. We should be moving forward under Dempster, Not bringing back Cox or Murray as assistant. I'll take either to replace Dempster as head of youth.

Paul Cox charged with youth development? :shock:
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Nothing wrong with Cox helping out imo. Still love the guy for what he did for us. My only hope is that we can mix the passing style with some of the Coxy rough grit. We certainly needed that second half of last season!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 15, 2019 6:55 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:it’s doing the rounds on Facebook that Clueless is coming in as his number two !!!!!

I didn't realise you were coming in as the number two!??!

i could do 493, sky, ball hooooooof
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 16, 2019 3:23 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Nothing wrong with Cox helping out imo. Still love the guy for what he did for us. My only hope is that we can mix the passing style with some of the Coxy rough grit. We certainly needed that second half of last season!!!

Let's face it if Flitters had done the first half the season and Coxy'd done the 2nd half we'd have won the league as champions. Coxy's 2nd half of the season was always a belter :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu May 16, 2019 3:46 pm

however not in this league Spiro
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marco van Sherpa » Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Marco van Sherpa wrote:
part time pete wrote: The youth team play exactly like the first team, three at the back

Sometimes, but not always mate.
The formations that they've used under John Dempster (and his assistants) over these past few years, have been many fold... and, most importantly, their strategy was always open to flexibility during games too.
If the shape of the team, or personnel, ever need altering, then dealing with situations whenever they presented themselves, has always been one of 'Demps' strengths thus far.

In other words he has a plan B?

In a nutshell yes. Under John Dempster, the U18 side were strong in defence and played out from the back more often than not, but when a horses for courses approach was required, to chase a result, the players were well drilled about how to adapt their game plan.
Though, in the main, their attacking approach and quick passing was a pleasure to watch, they could also shut up shop and see games out while defending a lead.
U18 football is predominantly about developing players, first and foremost, with results being of a secondary consideration.
But 'Demps' found the formula to strike a balance between nurturing talent, instilling good habits and discipline into his team and winning football matches, be it through playing fluent football and dominating games, or by whatever other means were necessary.
I'm sure that those of you that took the time out to watch the U18/U21 sides these past few seasons, such as Spiritater and Kernow (among others) would echo the above sentiments.
WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
Marco van Sherpa
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Marco van Sherpa » Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 pm

The One wrote:Whats Jamie Mcquire doing nowadays?

As of the 2018-19 season.... Reserves/U21 team duties with Richard Cooper and Mike Whitlow
WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
Marco van Sherpa
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Paul Cox nailed on for a role in his staff listening to that.

I'm all for JD as I think it's a good appointment. The guy deserves his chance, however if Cox is allowed anywhere near the 1st team they can whistle for my £700 early bird season ticket money.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marco van Sherpa » Thu May 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Marco van Sherpa wrote:
part time pete wrote: The youth team play exactly like the first team, three at the back

Sometimes, but not always mate.
The formations that they've used under John Dempster (and his assistants) over these past few years, have been many fold... and, most importantly, their strategy was always open to flexibility during games too.
If the shape of the team, or personnel, ever need altering, then dealing with situations whenever they presented themselves, has always been one of 'Demps' strengths thus far.

What do you think of the appointment of Dempster MVS? Having been closer to the academy teams than almost everyone?

I'm probably no better placed than anyone to comment, but as you're asking ;)
It's a very bold appointment.
But, I personally feel that a change of direction was needed at the club..
The previous two first team managerial appointments, with their respective proven track records and big reputations, didn't finish the job that they were employed to do.
To my way of thinking, there were times when, despite happily throwing huge sums cash about, both of them seemed to think that they were above working for the likes of Mansfield Town... whereas, John Dempster understands what the club is ALL about and he has been involved with the Stags, at different levels, for a long time now.
If he wasn't ready to take on the first team Duties, John would be honest enough to be the first person to say so, but he is. And, pretty much in keeping with his approach as a player, he won't shirk from any challenge that presents itself.
He's a nice bloke, but he can make ruthless decisions and changes whenever the need arises. And for the benefit of those who have reservations because he's stepped up from the development team ranks... remember, before he took on duties at the Academy, he already had the respect of his peers for his time as a professional footballer.
Last edited by Marco van Sherpa on Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
Marco van Sherpa
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Cox would take care of the youth team. Think he'd do a good job and instill some great qualities in the young players.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum