{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Press conference 15th May

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Press conference 15th May

Postby yaxhamstag » Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm

The guys been offered a job to manage the first team of a League 2 side. Given he’s been coaching the youth set up, I would imagine that is a pretty appealing prospect. In the same situation, I would jump at the chance and ask questions later. I don’t think JR would be too impressed if JD had said he needed time to think about it and get absolute clarity about budgets etc. It’s not like he’s got tonnes of offers to choose from. As for vision and plans, give him a chance, he’s only been in post 24 hours. I think it’s pretty unrealistic to expect him to have thought everything through in such a short space of time.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 15, 2019 3:28 pm

I don't wear blinkers as they mean you can only look at things one way as demonstrated above.

Everything John said could be interpretation differently so I'm not jumping on the negatives. Of course he's discussed the job with the chairman but there are always more things to talk about.

Remember these men have known each other a long time and sometimes you don't have to be pedantic and tie down every detail. It's called trust, try it and you may be a better person when making decisions .
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Wed May 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Assuming that Flitcroft has had to be paid up then there's not necessarily a budget cut on the playing side. Maybe Dempster is in place as he's competent and it keeps the managerial outlay to a minimum while still allowing a similar playing investment. JR wouldn't have wanted a pay off PLUS a big name on a two year contract PLUS further playing investment, something had to give.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby WVStag » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

We simply NEED to hear from Radford on this, and hopefully it'll be very soon. There are questions that need answering for the supporters.

We need to know exactly what is happening here. The rumours about a budget cut in light of this appointment makes sense. That will be massive in figuring out what kind of state we will be in for next season; it'll tell us exactly what JR's expectations are for Dempster as manager, as well as giving us a reasonable expectation of what will come along with that regarding the playing staff.

This whole thing from the appointment of Demps, to the shoddy job of announcing it, to the pitiful press conference today has looked like a rushed job that has only served to cook up more worry and nervousness from fans regarding next season even at this early stage.

Radford has to know how uninspiring this is. The last 2 seasons have been nothing but 'project promotion' and 'we're on our way' from the ENTIRE club. Now we don't know what the move is. Whatever the move is from here, whether it's business as usual and project promotion is still a go, or whether it's the pursestrings have been tightened, we need to know. What I will say is to go from project promotion, full steam ahead L1 to what this feels like now is night and day, and it hurts to be fair, especially if what we think is happening is happening. Communication breeds clarity, and clarity breeds confidence. Most of the time.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby StagsForLIFE » Wed May 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
geoffhill wrote:The moaners are at it again.Have faith.He was only appointed 24 hours ago.Give him chance to sort things out.The chairman will have several discussions with Dempster and I am looking forward to see what transpires.

It’s not moaning. He’s taken a job without knowing the terms.

Exactly. What on earth did JR and JD talk about prior to the job offer being made and, just as importantly, since? The whole thing had been rushed and we are a laughing stock. Announcing the permanent replacement in the same statement in which Flitcroft''s departure was announced really set the tone for this whole thing.

Sorry but I see that as making proper plans. It would have been stupid to have sacked Flitcroft without having someone lined up but that is not what happened.

You are sounding like EU Remoaners who are just throwing their toys out and throwing a strop because they didn't want it to happen. Listen to what the man actually says instead of filling the gaps yourself and making assumptions. Yes there are points which weren't covered but how could they all be?

As for announcing the sacking and appointment in one statement, that just shows they are eager to get on with the job instead of playing games and dragging things out for dramatical effect.

No need to bring politics into it, but to follow on from your rhetoric you are sounding like a gammonhead leaver who likes to jump into big decisions without knowing what the stakes are or what the terms are of that decision.

He must have an idea of what is expected you wouldn't jump into a promotion without knowing what is expected of you.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 pm

It must have been cramped in that meeting room with all you lot in there knowing exactly what was said.

Fact is you are guessing nobody knows what was agreed on other than the people there (not imagining they where)

Just because he didn't come out and give specifics in the interview doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is getting.

We have had 2 and a half seasons of bluster and false promises I can handle a bit of understatement
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Hes said he will have full backing... if Demps wants a player, he will be able to go get him. Simple.

Flitcroft would of signed 6-7 more big money players and probably would of failed again... He signed Ajose based on his reputation not what he'd seen and I think he would of done similar over the summer in a panic for success.

Demps will be here for a few years... were setting up like Lincoln did with Cowley. Stable side that gradually builds rather than going all out top 3 budget every year. I think he'll be a great coach and hes been given a great squad to start with... it doesn't need much work. Demps will get the lads playing, he won't be their mate like Murray was. He'll try and play a different style to suit each opponent.

Cant wait to see who we sign first
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 15, 2019 4:02 pm

stagmanrob wrote:The worst bit about his interview for me, was when he was asked if he'd always wanted the job, and he basically said not really as he'd always been too busy with the youth team!

Basically he just received a phone call and was given the gig, then has no idea what he's going to be working with at all.

Oops, just realised this bit of the interview is only available on iFollow only as the questions were asked by John Lomas.

Basically when asked if the phone call to be offered the job was something he'd always wanted, his answer was "Honestly...no"

And when asked about budgets, he hasn't got a clue until he meets John Radford. Very rushed and muddled together last minute it all appears.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Hes said he will have full backing... if Demps wants a player, he will be able to go get him. Simple.

Flitcroft would of signed 6-7 more big money players and probably would of failed again... He signed Ajose based on his reputation not what he'd seen and I think he would of done similar over the summer in a panic for success.

Demps will be here for a few years... were setting up like Lincoln did with Cowley. Stable side that gradually builds rather than going all out top 3 budget every year. I think he'll be a great coach and hes been given a great squad to start with... it doesn't need much work. Demps will get the lads playing, he won't be their mate like Murray was. He'll try and play a different style to suit each opponent.

Cant wait to see who we sign first

That's not 'simple' at all. Radford is hardly going to put in the statement anything other than that he is giving him his full backing, is he. Full backing is not the same as financial backing. Whatever 'full backing' means is at the discretion of JR. This is why we need the clarity.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Forever Optimistic » Wed May 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Retained list will tell us all what's happening I feel
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm

WVStag wrote:We simply NEED to hear from Radford on this, and hopefully it'll be very soon. There are questions that need answering for the supporters.

We need to know exactly what is happening here. The rumours about a budget cut in light of this appointment makes sense. That will be massive in figuring out what kind of state we will be in for next season; it'll tell us exactly what JR's expectations are for Dempster as manager, as well as giving us a reasonable expectation of what will come along with that regarding the playing staff.

This whole thing from the appointment of Demps, to the shoddy job of announcing it, to the pitiful press conference today has looked like a rushed job that has only served to cook up more worry and nervousness from fans regarding next season even at this early stage.

Radford has to know how uninspiring this is. The last 2 seasons have been nothing but 'project promotion' and 'we're on our way' from the ENTIRE club. Now we don't know what the move is. Whatever the move is from here, whether it's business as usual and project promotion is still a go, or whether it's the pursestrings have been tightened, we need to know. What I will say is to go from project promotion, full steam ahead L1 to what this feels like now is night and day, and it hurts to be fair, especially if what we think is happening is happening. Communication breeds clarity, and clarity breeds confidence. Most of the time.

Hugely inaccurate - they actually said more than once that they regret all that sort of stuff under Steve Evans and were now going to go about business more low key.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Conker wrote:
WVStag wrote:We simply NEED to hear from Radford on this, and hopefully it'll be very soon. There are questions that need answering for the supporters.

Hugely inaccurate - they actually said more than once that they regret all that sort of stuff under Steve Evans and were now going to go about business more low key.

Nope - Carolyn for one has referred to #projectpromotion ALL of last season.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 15, 2019 4:46 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:
Conker wrote:

Yes - he says from the entire club.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Good post

I was hoping to hear who the management team is going to be. Looks like it's not been decided or surely it's not they are frightened to tell us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Good post

I was hoping to hear who the management team is going to be. Looks like it's not been decided or surely it's not they are frightened to tell us.

it's been a whirlwind in 24 hours. JD said he is in talks with 2 or 3 people regarding backroom staff, it won't have been decided yet.

I think a lot of people are in shock as they probably didn't expect DF to be sacked
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Wed May 15, 2019 4:51 pm

I thought for his first interview he spoke very well. I think we will be alright.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby WVStag » Wed May 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Conker wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:
Conker wrote:

So you weren't on board with project promotion as a supporter? You weren't aware that was the clear aim for the season? So, yes- the message from the ENTIRE club was project promotion. I think you do actually know that, unless you're trying to be pedantic on purpose.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm

The proof of the pie is in the eating
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm

I’m very pleased with the appointment and seems a bit of a free hit to me.

We’ve tried the throw money at it option and it hasn’t worked, I liked DF but 2 failed promotions with all the funds he had available doesn’t really help his cause.

Dempster has done fantastic with the YT and deserves his chance, much the same as some of the YT players deserve a chance in the first team.

What do we have to lose? If it works then fantastic, we have a young manager going places, if it doesn’t then I’m sure he could step back into the YT and resume his role.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:I’m very pleased with the appointment and seems a bit of a free hit to me.

We’ve tried the throw money at it option and it hasn’t worked, I liked DF but 2 failed promotions with all the funds he had available doesn’t really help his cause.

Dempster has done fantastic with the YT and deserves his chance, much the same as some of the YT players deserve a chance in the first team.

What do we have to lose? If it works then fantastic, we have a young manager going places, if it doesn’t then I’m sure he could step back into the YT and resume his role.

I am in need of an antihistamine.

When it doesn't work out for a manager that's been promoted from within the same end result 99% of the time ensues. A sacking. When a manager gets sacked, promoted from within or not do you actually think it's realistic for him to slot back into another role within that same club? Please tell me if you have actually seen that happen because otherwise I feel genuinely devastated you think that is a legitimate option if things were to go wrong.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PaulG » Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

There are those on here who seem determined to insist on a direct correlation between the size of the transfer budget and success. If supporters of Spurs took the same view, they'd be looking pretty silly now! We've spent biggish bucks for the last couple of years, which hasn't brought us promotion (although they've been two enjoyable seasons), but we have a decent squad which needs a tweak or two, which needn't necessarily cost the earth. If I were JR or JD, I wouldn't dream of revealing how much is potentially available for transfer fees and salaries. I'd keep that well under my hat until we'd got safely on board everyone we want on board. If that leaves you fretful for want of information, then live with it.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 15, 2019 6:04 pm

PaulG wrote:There are those on here who seem determined to insist on a direct correlation between the size of the transfer budget and success. If supporters of Spurs took the same view, they'd be looking pretty silly now! We've spent biggish bucks for the last couple of years, which hasn't brought us promotion (although they've been two enjoyable seasons), but we have a decent squad which needs a tweak or two, which needn't necessarily cost the earth. If I were JR or JD, I wouldn't dream of revealing how much is potentially available for transfer fees and salaries. I'd keep that well under my hat until we'd got safely on board everyone we want on board. If that leaves you fretful for want of information, then live with it.

exactly. we went about spouting we had money to spend when Evans was here, what happened? we ended up signing players on huge contracts that didn't match their ability. agents have a field day
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 pm

I think what we'll get from Dempster is simple, hardworking, basic football, where every job is clearly defined for each player. We'll have players for specific roles, and a clear idea of what the individual and collective job is.

He'll work on not conceding first and foremost and will attack more as games go on.

I expect a lower league Burnley-esq side.

As for a manager being uninformed on budget and expectations, it's smacks of knee-jerk reaction from Radford. So unlike him.

Let's see what happens.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Some of these comments are laughable. We're talking about an ex player who the club have helped get into coaching and backed at youth level. JR offers him the top job, one of the 100 best jobs in English football...

Does he:
A) Hold out and refuse to go public until he knows what hes getting to play with.
B) Jump at the amazing opportunity and sort the details out in the coming days.

People digging at him because he took a job without knowing the whole story are just embarrassing themselves.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 7:58 pm

Conker wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:
Conker wrote:

Hahaha she's our CEO mate. If she says it's project promotion, that's what it is.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum