{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Press conference 15th May

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Press conference 15th May

Postby robeyre » Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Bit underwhelmed by press conference today. Was a great opportunity to sell us on the new vision and set the scene. Unfortunately just the same old format and little info. Yes JDs been speaking to potential back room staff who are excited about joining and has contacted contacts about potential signings but we knew this had to be happening. I know with contracts being as they are now names can't be mentioned until finalised but some glimpse of our way forward would have served to clarify and energised us all after a thoughly deflating couple of weeks.
Just think its a chance missed
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Press conference 15th May

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Mr Dempsters' first interview...

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 15, 2019 2:19 pm

I think the whole thing has been very rushed to be honest. Sounds like he hasn’t spoken to Radford in much detail about next seasons objectives or budget which I thought was a little strange. He hopes to do that today, though you’d think those sort of things are normally ironed out beforehand.

Would have been nice to hear from Radford too like we did with Murray, Evans, and Flitcroft but it all seems very low key.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Targets becoming clear to the manager after he meets the chairman this week is so strange. Has this not been discussed already? As I said on a previous thread, the description of Dempster as 'innovative' in the club statement yesterday suggests to me that he won't have much of a budget. I suppose the calibre of the signings will be the best indicator of the club's ambition for this season, but phrases like 'kick[ing] on' and 'creating memories for life' are so vague that they don't really mean anything. In other words, if his objective was promotion, I think he would have said so.

If JR has decided to stop putting large amounts of money into the club, that's fair enough and I guess we all have no choice but to swallow it. We've been through much worse than that in recent times but getting used to this after 2 seasons of promotion push is likely to cause frustration and will have probably (unfortunately) have an adverse effect on season ticket sales.

If indeed it is the case that the purse strings are being tightened, I find it all a little puzzling. Had we drawn at MK and gone up, we'd still have had to rebuild much of the squad. JR would probably have had to have put in even more money just to sustain us at that level. I don't imagine the gap in income between L1 and L2 clubs is that great, but finding a consistent goalscorer (or two) would but infinitely more expensive for L1 than L2.

It would probably put a lot of people's minds at rest if we heard directly from JR about his plans and next season, rather than through carefully edited, opaque press releases.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 pm

It doesn’t help when all you hear is “Project Promotion”. Do the job quietly. I’m glad it’s more low key.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 15, 2019 2:40 pm

This is concerning.

JR
“I’ve put Flitcroft in File 13, fancy the poisoned chalice? I’ll let you know your working conditions later”

JD
“Yeah alright”

Setting up for a fall.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed May 15, 2019 2:47 pm

No one is telling me they're inspired for next season by this whole shambles. People can say "you're not a real fan, show some faith, get a grip, stop being negative, he's done it in the youth team, :coys: " all they want, but the facts are this whole situation is crap and cannot possibly fill people with confidence. If it does, please give me some of what you're having, I'd genuinely prefer to be chirpy about this.

In this 'press conference' he said he will discuss with the chairman what the budget will look like for next year. So... he took the job without agreeing budgets? Without knowing what the expectations are? Laughable.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Exactly

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:57 pm

No one is telling me they're inspired for next season by this whole shambles. People can say "you're not a real fan, show some faith, get a grip, stop being negative, he's done it in the youth team, :coys: " all they want, but the facts are this whole situation is crap and cannot possibly fill people with confidence. If it does, please give me some of what you're having, I'd genuinely prefer to be chirpy about this.

In this 'press conference' he said he will discuss with the chairman what the budget will look like for next year. So... he took the job without agreeing budgets? Without knowing what the expectations are? Laughable.

NAIL ON HEAD
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robeyre » Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm

robeyre wrote:Bit underwhelmed by press conference today. Was a great opportunity to sell us on the new vision and set the scene. Unfortunately just the same old format and little info. Yes JDs been speaking to potential back room staff who are excited about joining and has contacted contacts about potential signings but we knew this had to be happening. I know with contracts being as they are now names can't be mentioned until finalised but some glimpse of our way forward would have served to clarify and energised us all after a thoughly deflating couple of weeks.
Just think its a chance missed

Just watched again and feel I may have been a little too negative with my above comments. (although they were ment in a constructive sense). This was probably brought on by still feelling flat after last few weeks.
I should have born in mind that this is JDs first proper interview and he has only had 24 hours to get used to the idea. Perhaps however I should have been wondering why he had been left to deal with such a situation singlehandedly.
I like JD and do feel he has done things the right way and deserves his chance. As a Stags fan I really want him to succeed and will be backing him 100%
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm

The moaners are at it again.Have faith.He was only appointed 24 hours ago.Give him chance to sort things out.The chairman will have several discussions with Dempster and I am looking forward to see what transpires.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 15, 2019 3:00 pm

geoffhill wrote:The moaners are at it again.Have faith.He was only appointed 24 hours ago.Give him chance to sort things out.The chairman will have several discussions with Dempster and I am looking forward to see what transpires.

It’s not moaning. He’s taken a job without knowing the terms.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 pm

I don't see that interview as negative.

Moves have already been made for both players and staff and the manager knows who he would like to keep. That's already more advanced than a new man would have been and I like the idea we will be an attacking force. Yes that was tempered with a balanced approach but that is just common sense.

I thought John spoke well and seemed confident in his own ability. He also appeared not to be afraid of upsetting any players who didn't want to be here which is the right attitude.

I am quietly confident.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Could we perhaps wait until we see his side play a few games before we start slagging the fella off?

It's underwhelming but how anyone can decide whether he's going to be any good or not when we've not even seen his team play is ridiculous.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
geoffhill wrote:The moaners are at it again.Have faith.He was only appointed 24 hours ago.Give him chance to sort things out.The chairman will have several discussions with Dempster and I am looking forward to see what transpires.

Exactly. What on earth did JR and JD talk about prior to the job offer being made and, just as importantly, since? The whole thing had been rushed and we are a laughing stock. Announcing the permanent replacement in the same statement in which Flitcroft''s departure was announced really set the tone for this whole thing.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DazMondo » Wed May 15, 2019 3:08 pm

What are some of you all waffling about.
Glad i am not in the trenches with the negative posters on here.

Low key is the best way at not letting everyone know your plans.

People dig to deep at what is or not being said.
Conjecture by most people on here is often way off the mark.

Just be like the other 4000 who don't post on here and enjoy the ride....it is only a game.

and both Chesterfailed and clownty are not good enough for the level we play at. Enjoy that as well if you wish.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Exactly. What on earth did JR and JD talk about prior to the job offer being made and, just as importantly, since? The whole thing had been rushed and we are a laughing stock. Announcing the permanent replacement in the same statement in which Flitcroft''s departure was announced really set the tone for this whole thing.

Sorry but I see that as making proper plans. It would have been stupid to have sacked Flitcroft without having someone lined up but that is not what happened.

You are sounding like EU Remoaners who are just throwing their toys out and throwing a strop because they didn't want it to happen. Listen to what the man actually says instead of filling the gaps yourself and making assumptions. Yes there are points which weren't covered but how could they all be?

As for announcing the sacking and appointment in one statement, that just shows they are eager to get on with the job instead of playing games and dragging things out for dramatical effect.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed May 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Sorry but I see that as making proper plans. It would have been stupid to have sacked Flitcroft without having someone lined up but that is not what happened.

You are sounding like EU Remoaners who are just throwing their toys out and throwing a strop because they didn't want it to happen. Listen to what the man actually says instead of filling the gaps yourself and making assumptions. Yes there are points which weren't covered but how could they all be?

As for announcing the sacking and appointment in one statement, that just shows they are eager to get on with the job instead of playing games and dragging things out for dramatical effect.

What are you talking about? Everything I've said is based on what JD said in his interview. Perhaps you weren't paying close enough attention. Mind you, if you swallowed the guff that was promised about leaving the EU too then that makes perfect sense!
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Take the blinkers of Sandy. The whole thing stinks.

Who takes a job when they don't really know what the job is?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm

The worst bit about his interview for me, was when he was asked if he'd always wanted the job, and he basically said not really as he'd always been too busy with the youth team!

Basically he just received a phone call and was given the gig, then has no idea what he's going to be working with at all.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I think JD comes across very well. Of course, he knows the terms of his employment but he and JR can't possibly have had time to discuss every last detail in the past 24 hours. Let's stop with the conspiracy theories, support the new manager and see what happens.

I'm sure the usual suspects are already working on their insulting nicknames for JD should he fail. :roll:
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cerfjaune » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I was pleased that there were no hostages to fortune. The p word wasn’t mentioned, no talk about where we’ll end up in the league. You can be ambitious all you like, but your ambitions can be kept to yourself rather than broadcast from the rooftops. It would be nice to have a low profile manager for a change.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Dempster came over very calm and workmanlike to me and was not giving a lot away as its all very very new and sudden and I don't think he can answer many questions at this stage.
I am guessing Kevin Kent that he does know what the job is going to be but won't tell us yet until its all confirmed and set up and finalised by JR/CR.

I do wish him well but have massive worry about whether this will come off but we will keep the faith and in JR we trust...don't we??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Is there anywhere in Woodhus that sells enthusiasm pills
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Yes SidneyO...probably Dump Dumpster!!