{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Budget cut?!?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Budget cut?!?

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:20 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:People are assuming a lot that

1. Our budget is being cut
2. Dempster doesn't have any contacts in the game (despite being a professional footballer for god knows how long)
3. Players won't want to play for him as he has no experience.

Let's just wait and see what happens eh? He'll be backed by stags fans this season, and maybe we might surprise a few as there won't be as much pressure on a promotion push with it being Dempster's first gig in league football

The key thing Bobby is the fans expectatations. Will they expect JD to gain us promotion? Will they turn up in the same numbers home and away if we aren't pushing for promotion ?Will they expect JR to sack JD if we are fighting against relegation? In other words do the fans accept having an untried manager means the chances of promotion are reduced?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

natfromboza wrote:If we need to cut our budget, let's forget about a pre-season jaunt to Portugal, the needless training sessions at St George's Park and lets knock the overnight stops on the head when we are playing 60 minutes down the road. We are League 2 not Premier League and in my opinion we need to get back to basics a little bit instead of pampering the players way too much!

Spot on , my thoughts entirely !
... JR has spent to much unnecessary money on travelling day before a game ( not shown any benefit this last season ) ... unless we are at Plymouth & Exeter which are long trips !
... Pre Season training in luxurious surroundings as in Portugal are not the answer . Train at home & give the players a well earned holiday after / or if we gain promotion ..
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 am

Amber Andy wrote:

2. Dempster doesn't have any contacts in the game (despite being a professional footballer for god knows how long)

Let's just wait and see what happens eh? He'll be backed by stags fans this season, and maybe we might surprise a few as there won't be as much pressure on a promotion push with it being Dempster's first gig in league football

The key thing Bobby is the fans expectatations. Will they expect JD to gain us promotion? Will they turn up in the same numbers home and away if we aren't pushing for promotion ?Will they expect JR to sack JD if we are fighting against relegation? In other words do the fans accept having an untried manager means the chances of promotion are reduced?

Anyone who thinks an untried manager equates to a poor league position doesn't know our history.

It's always tempting to look at names and previous achievement & think it equates to success. Evans will point at his promotions, a critic would point at the fiscal carnage he leaves behind.
Every well know and available manager that is available is available because they've been sacked, or they quit before they were sacked.
At our level managers with a ling CV tend to be one trick pony journeymen types who don't have am original thought in their head.
A rookie is a gamble, but it's not the massive risk some people think.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Anyone who thinks an untried manager equates to a poor league position doesn't know our history.

It's always tempting to look at names and previous achievement & think it equates to success. Evans will point at his promotions, a critic would point at the fiscal carnage he leaves behind.
Every well know and available manager that is available is available because they've been sacked, or they quit before they were sacked.
At our level managers with a ling CV tend to be one trick pony journeymen types who don't have am original thought in their head.
A rookie is a gamble, but it's not the massive risk some people think.

I agree. I think John has been hasty to remove DF but time to move on. I hope JD bloods more of the youth players too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am

Its a strange time now and thoughts are that if no big budget then likely to be more mid table ish perhaps or expecting the youngsters to come on and do a lot better than the show pony Grant probably on 3 K a week.

We can make cuts I think and overnight stops apart from maybe Exeter/Carlisle should go immediately.

Newport were not big spenders and they did ok...... I think..... this season and could be League 1.

I think this season we have looked a bit daft in the way it all turned out so maybe back to basics for us.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am

tillydog123 wrote:Its a strange time now and thoughts are that if no big budget then likely to be more mid table ish perhaps or expecting the youngsters to come on and do a lot better than the show pony Grant probably on 3 K a week.

We can make cuts I think and overnight stops apart from maybe Exeter/Carlisle should go immediately.

Newport were not big spenders and they did ok...... I think..... this season and could be League 1.

I think this season we have looked a bit daft in the way it all turned out so maybe back to basics for us.

I would imagine the increased revenue from a season spent near the top has gone quite a way to compensating for the high wage budget.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am

Blood young players certainly, but only if they are good enough.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 am

bellwhiff wrote:Of course it’s a cheap option

I'm not so sure belly. It may mean the budget is exactly the same.

The five people that have left have basically been paid upfront for next season. By promoting Dempster from within, there will be no significant increase in spending on the management side, so the "playing" budget can remain the same without increasing the overall budget.

It's all speculation I suppose and only the quality of our summer recruitment will give us the answer.

:coys:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed May 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Big yella wrote:

The five people that have left have basically been paid upfront for next season. By promoting Dempster from within, there will be no significant increase in spending on the management side, so the "playing" budget can remain the same without increasing the overall budget.

It's all speculation I suppose and only the quality of our summer recruitment will give us the answer.

The cheap option would be to slash playing budget and keep flitcroft. JDs salary will be a good amount, not like he's working for free is he
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Wed May 15, 2019 9:27 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:
Big yella wrote:

The cheap option would be to slash playing budget and keep flitcroft. JDs salary will be a good amount, not like he's working for free is he

I know, but it's already being paid from within the club was my point.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Surely we are looking at a new academy manager, or will that be Jack Thomas?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Surely we are looking at a new academy manager, or will that be Jack Thomas?

I would have thought Mike Whitlow, would be in the frame.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed May 15, 2019 11:21 pm

JD might be a cheaper option, but overall from the retained list I’m encouraged we aren’t going to see any major cost cutting like some were fearing, just some belt tightening and a reasonable punt on a talented rookie. I would have preferred stability and giving DF another shot, but we are where we are and it’s looking reasonably ok so far.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 am

Still time for other clubs to make an offer for players, hopefully we can keep hold of majority of them.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum