{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Murray Comparison

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Murray Comparison

Postby stagmanrob » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 pm

It's great that Martin archives every news article on here.
Lots of folk are making comparisons to the Murray appointment, so I went back and dug out what JR said at the time.
Talk of budget insinuated at the time he wanted promotion with Muzza at the helm, but Muzza has said in recent interviews/podcasts he got nothing anywhere near what Evans and Flitcroft have been gifted.

It will be interesting to hear JD's presser tomorrow, and who will be making statements on behalf of the club/JR and comparing the two.

The former captain and assistant manager has been confirmed as the replacement for Paul Cox, after impressing during his time in caretaker charge.

And chairman John Radford has been very clear about what he expects from the new man - promotion to the Championship.

The Stags sit 18th in League Two, seven points above the relegation zone.

Radford says a play-off push should not be ruled out, and is prepared to put his hands in his pockets to assist with that when the transfer window opens.

"He knows he's got money available, so it's a case of Adam now getting on with it," the chairman told the Post.

"I'm going to let him make all those decisions.

"I'm sure we'll have a chat if he comes too much over budget, but he's got plenty of room to manoeuvre."

When asked if some players will have to leave to help balance the books, Radford added: "I'm one for a squad being a squad and gelling as a team.

"There's no need to panic. The last few games we've seen them play, they have gelled and played well, so there's no need for massive movement at all.

"The season is not over for us.

"We've got to get at least 1.8 points per game now to have a chance of getting back into the play-offs.

"It is doable, we'll see how the next few games go.

"I certainly think he can consolidate us and keep us in this league.

"I would like us to have a go at trying to get to the play-offs."

The long-term goal though, is much more ambitious.

"I want to be in the Championship," continued Radford.

"That's my target for Adam - to get into the Championship, hopefully in three or four seasons.

"Hopefully he can do that and he'll get my backing to do that."

Murray was one of seven candidates interviewed for the post, and clinched the job with a unanimous vote from the board of directors.

In his three games since taking temporary control, he has beaten Plymouth in the league and secured passage in the FA Cup by toppling Concord Rangers.

His next task is to earn a place in the third round of that competition, at Cambridge United today.

At 33, Murray has become the youngest boss in the Football League on an initial deal until the end of the season.

But he was still the standout candidate for the job.

"We interviewed six managers prior to him and they were all very similar," said Radford.

"The first one came in and the other five were a carbon copy of him.

"Adam was totally different.

"I think that's because he hasn't been a manager before and the rest knew the process.

"Some of the new ideas Adam was coming out with impressed us, and his enthusiasm impressed us.

"You look at the pros and cons.

"Probably the biggest con against Adam would be the fact he's got no experience as a manager, and if we were to bring an ex-England player or Premiership player to the club as manager, that would be a big name.

"But this was an opportunity to give one of our own a chance to get into management."
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: Murray Comparison

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 8:56 pm

I don’t think Murray was working on peanuts, not in his first full season anyway, it’s just Evans and Flitcroft was working with huge amounts.

That’s one thing that’s constantly mistaken on here, Murray had a competitive budget, but not a top three one like our last two managers.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Thought the budget really got cut half way into the first half of the first season back? Murray signed Rose for a fee and managed to get Green back on massive wages.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Paul Cox and Adam Murray had one of the lowest playing budgets in League 2 in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. It was only around £800,000. I think Adam Murray said that only the Daggers had a lower budget. Steve Evans and David Flitcroft probably had three times that.

If we end up signing Alex Fisher from Yeovil, Rakish Bingham, Vadaine Oliver and a few players from the Glen Hoddle academy then you will know that the budget has been slashed. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Paul Cox and Adam Murray had one of the lowest playing budgets in League 2 in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. It was only around £800,000. I think Adam Murray said that only the Daggers had a lower budget. Steve Evans and David Flitcroft probably had three times that.

If we end up signing Alex Fisher from Yeovil, Rakish Bingham, Vadaine Oliver and a few players from the Glen Hoddle academy then you will know that the budget has been slashed. :lol:

There’s absolutely no way our budget was £800,000 in Adam Murray full season, Benning, Green, Pearce, Rose etc were a clear sign that Radford gave Murray a increased budget.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32852804

‘Both myself and the chairman have fought long and hard in order to beat off competition from League One and Championship clubs to capture the signature of Matt Green," boss Adam Murray told the club website.

"It's a statement of our intent going into next season and it's great to have him back on board."
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Paul Cox and Adam Murray had one of the lowest playing budgets in League 2 in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. It was only around £800,000. I think Adam Murray said that only the Daggers had a lower budget. Steve Evans and David Flitcroft probably had three times that.

People forget Cox had that budget and players to work with before he left, you missed Fergus Bell off your list!

Murray got some backing in Jan to bring in the likes of Billy Kee and Ricky Ravenhill. Murray never had peanuts just not quite the riches of Evans and Flipflop.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue May 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Pearce won't have been expensive. He was a non league centre half when we signed him, great business by Murray.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 am

Not sure how Newport and tranmere made the play off finals.
Did they change the squad or the managers or just did an Accrington ?
Grrrrr
chip63
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum