{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Budget cut?!?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Budget cut?!?

Postby stagmanrob » Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Conker wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Conker wrote:
Beano wrote:Have I missed JR stating that there will be budget cuts and that the new manager won’t be backed financially?

Until that becomes obvious, surely any such theories are pure nonsense.

JR has got rid of Flitcroft due to a perceived failure, why would he then not give Flitcroft’s replacement adequate backing to succeed?

Maybe he’s just fed up with “big names” that have done nothing but let him down.

Everyone worried about a budget cut is ridiculous, even if you skimmed £500,000 off I bet it’s still top seven anyway :P

And Jamie, you cannot borrow the club money to go towards the 55% income on players wages.

That's not true depending on how you put that money in. Andy Pilley does it at Fleetwood. Vince does it at Forest Green. Salford have done it, and will continue to do so.

Hardy stated several times that FFP below the Championship is a joke and easy to bypass.

Rob that is completely true.

You get around it via sponsorship, and you can still loan the club money - but that cannot go towards the budget you submit to the EFL.

I'm sure Pilley plonks his business premises on Fleetwood FC's grounds. Charges his company rent into the millions per year. Goes in as income that way.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Random Hero wrote:The more I think about it, the more certain I become that the Radfords plan on pulling out of the club in a couple of years time.

This season was last chance saloon to get us up, we threw everything at it financially. The move to Portugal started me thinking along these lines earlier on in the season, but employing Dempster now just confirms it.

They're preparing the club to be self sustainable and be able to survive without their cash injections. If that's the case, this just the beginning. Expect the staff and playing budget next season to be halved at least. If you think the Radfords will give a manager with no experience in the Football League a blank chequebook, you'd better be prepared to be disappointed.

It's a harsh reality but the future of the club has to come first.

Good post, I have to agree.

The move to Portugal definitely rang alarm bells. Put yourself in his shoes, chucking money away hand over fist 2 years on the trot and the bottom line is we’ve had nothing in return. Now living abroad he won’t even be at 80% of the games so he won’t want to be throwing endless amounts of money at something he’s watching on his laptop.

I am sure that Radford has the clubs interests at heart and is doing what he feels is right for the club so this is no slight on that. Just so disappointing that we were so close to achieving our goal and we literally threw it away.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 1:11 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Conker wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Conker wrote:
Beano wrote:Have I missed JR stating that there will be budget cuts and that the new manager won’t be backed financially?

JR has got rid of Flitcroft due to a perceived failure, why would he then not give Flitcroft’s replacement adequate backing to succeed?

Maybe he’s just fed up with “big names” that have done nothing but let him down.

Everyone worried about a budget cut is ridiculous, even if you skimmed £500,000 off I bet it’s still top seven anyway :P

And Jamie, you cannot borrow the club money to go towards the 55% income on players wages.

That's not true depending on how you put that money in. Andy Pilley does it at Fleetwood. Vince does it at Forest Green. Salford have done it, and will continue to do so.

Hardy stated several times that FFP below the Championship is a joke and easy to bypass.

Rob that is completely true.

You get around it via sponsorship, and you can still loan the club money - but that cannot go towards the budget you submit to the EFL.

I'm sure Pilley plonks his business premises on Fleetwood FC's grounds. Charges his company rent into the millions per year. Goes in as income that way.

Yeah that works, as does sponsoring everything via One Call!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:The budget may be cut it all depends how severely it's cut.

I still think it will be very competitive for our league and will be amazed if it's not top 7.

Why should we keep trawling through the same old tired group of managers hoping that they can strike it lucky with us. No doubt it's a gamble and a cheaper solution but John Dempster will be relishing this chance and has been winning for this football club so should get everyones full backing from the chairman on down.

My thoughts exactly , rookie managers have to start somewhere , money doesn't always buy success , teams like Accrington & Newport are the proof .
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue May 14, 2019 1:49 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
Conker wrote:

And Hardy obviously knows everything about football finances! He may well be right on this point but the rest of his football/ business acumen hasn’t really shone through this season.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby stag_27 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Seriously, what a bunch of babies - I’d be worried if the Radford’s didn’t change approach given the experience over the last two seasons. It’s not worked, he’s been badly let down by two supposedly experienced guys.

They’ve invested in the infrastructure and youth set up, they have a man they trust in JD, why not seek to leverage that?

Why should they keep throwing good money after bad?

My guess is that we’ll still have a top half budget at least. If things go well suspect we’ll augment in Jan to try and push on. If you were in his shoes would you pay big bucks for a manager who is likely to demand further investment and resource with zero guarantee of success and a recent experience which says that works 0 from 2 so far.

The Radfords have been and are terrific owners. They’ve done more for the club than any of us - some of the reactions across various threads today have been astonishing. Some fans have been acting like massively entitled babies. Where is the trust?
stag_27
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Tue May 14, 2019 2:16 pm

stag_27 wrote:Seriously, what a bunch of babies - I’d be worried if the Radford’s didn’t change approach given the experience over the last two seasons. It’s not worked, he’s been badly let down by two supposedly experienced guys.

They’ve invested in the infrastructure and youth set up, they have a man they trust in JD, why not seek to leverage that?

My guess is that we’ll still have a top half budget at least. If things go well suspect we’ll augment in Jan to try and push on. If you were in his shoes would you pay big bucks for a manager who is likely to demand further investment and resource with zero guarantee of success and a recent experience which says that works 0 from 2 so far.

The Radfords have been and are terrific owners. They’ve done more for the club than any of us - some of the reactions across various threads today have been astonishing. Some fans have been acting like massively entitled babies. Where is the trust?

Excellent post
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue May 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Amberheart wrote:
stag_27 wrote:Seriously, what a bunch of babies - I’d be worried if the Radford’s didn’t change approach given the experience over the last two seasons. It’s not worked, he’s been badly let down by two supposedly experienced guys.

Excellent post

Post of the day
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 14, 2019 2:25 pm

stagmanrob wrote:A Mansfield bloke through and through is ideally what we'd all love to see succeed.

Yeah, he just went to Walsall.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Not sure why people are worried if our budget is cut. Hardly going to go into administration. We will be competitive, but won’t throw money at it.

Newport have a better chance of gin g up than us and they have a bottom three budget. Notts County has a huge back and got relegated. Lincoln have a good budget and got promoted. It’s hardly an exact science.

Imagine the backing is there if we have a good summer keeping players.

Radford moving to Portugal isn’t something that’s just happened the last few months, it would’ve been 12 months in the planning. Not like it hinges on us going up or not. Takes a year to build a villa I’m sure
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 14, 2019 2:36 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:Not sure why people are worried if our budget is cut. Hardly going to go into administration. We will be competitive, but won’t throw money at it.

Newport have a better chance of gin g up than us and they have a bottom three budget. Notts County has a huge back and got relegated. Lincoln have a good budget and got promoted. It’s hardly an exact science.

Imagine the backing is there if we have a good summer keeping players.

Radford moving to Portugal isn’t something that’s just happened the last few months, it would’ve been 12 months in the planning. Not like it hinges on us going up or not. Takes a year to build a villa I’m sure

And unlike Haslam, the club didn’t pay for it
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

The last 3 seasons we have invested hugely with big name (for the level) managers and gone nowhere fast. JR is making us more sustainable and hopefully giving youth players a chance. I do not see a problem to be honest...If we had played Hakeem instead of signing Ajose we would have maybe gone up automatically this year in all honesty.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Failcroft was provided with everything from overnight stays to extra backing in Jan (see Ajose, Grant, Turner) and we are still in League 2. Hopefully with removing the deadwood in the backroom such as Abbott, it means we can maintain a competitive budget.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Awful decision to me but time will tell.... to replace him with a Keith Hill or someone would make sense, but maybe JR thinks he'll just get the same result as Flitcroft.

Hoping Demps knows the squad inside out and knows what the problems are, and also where to find the right players.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Surfingstag1 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 pm

I feel JR will support JD to the hilt to achieve his stated goal
Business leaders like JR make tough decisions to achieve their goals
We're VERY fortunate to have him as our owner
COYS!!!
Surfingstag1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Tue May 14, 2019 3:03 pm

I suppose thinking about it, our key players will still be under contract, as long as they are not transfer listed then we should be fine with a couple of additions.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Most of our players will still be under contract so the budget will still be pretty big.

We will see who we will recruit in the summer.

I also imagine that JR's brief to JD is still "Get us in the top 3" rather than "Aim for top half and bring through a few kids."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Think Accrington?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue May 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Think Accrington?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Unless the retained list comes out and half the squad is released/transfer listed, I don’t think the budget will be cut too much.

I think Dempster’s appointment is JR putting his faith in him after his performances with the youth team, rather than a ‘cheap option’ à la Murray.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue May 14, 2019 3:44 pm

I've heard 20% budget cut
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 pm

adamstag wrote:I've heard 20% budget cut

From someone that doesn't know anything.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Which would still leave us with a promotion achieving budget. Perhaps saving money on the manager rather then less quality of players?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 pm

In the Manchester Morrison's, meat counter, fish monger or rumour monger?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 4:04 pm

20% would still leave a very healthy budget assuming our best players stay.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum