{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranmere it is...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Tranmere it is...

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon May 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Through to the final and yet without doubt the worst team to visit Field Mill bar none!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Re: Tranmere it is...

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 pm

It feels like most teams who get promoted from the conf go on to have a successful season straight away the year or two after.. but not us :(
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Inexcusable to have a man sent off in both legs. Poor discipline from Forest Green Rovers. Doidge did very little, Norwood complete opposite. Can see why Norwood has ended up top scorer in league 2. Newport v Tranmere will require a very strong referee as the encounter will be very physical.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Inexcusable to have a man sent off in both legs. Poor discipline from Forest Green Rovers. Doidge did very little, Norwood complete opposite. Can see why Norwood has ended up top scorer in league 2. Newport v Tranmere will require a very strong referee as the encounter will be very physical.

I thought the second booking for Winchester was very soft
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Inexcusable to have a man sent off in both legs. Poor discipline from Forest Green Rovers. Doidge did very little, Norwood complete opposite. Can see why Norwood has ended up top scorer in league 2. Newport v Tranmere will require a very strong referee as the encounter will be very physical.

I thought the second booking for Winchester was very soft

It wasn't a booking. Poor decision.

Norwood was excellent. Very strong throughout. Certainly did not look to be carrying an injury. Made me laugh when David Craig, the Sky interviewer, called him Ollie (TWICE) in the post match interview. I sat next to David Craig in the press box at one Stags game and I kid you not he was doing a newspaper crossword during the game.

Tranmere deserved to win. I expect Newport to beat them though unless Norwood has a stormer.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Mellon: I'm gutted for Flicker, he had such a fantastic team.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Ryan Lowe states Newport and Tranmere had more heart than their opponents over these play off legs , but also said 'flicker's done an unbelievable job at mansfield'

cooper also fuming about the refereeing, it has been pretty poor over these league 2 play off games
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Ryan Lowe states Newport and Tranmere had more heart than their opponents over these play off legs , but also said 'flicker's done an unbelievable job at mansfield'

I think Tranmere had more heart than FGR. True. I don't think Newport had more heart than Mansfield, it was down to fine margins over the 2 games. Newport played well, it wasn't that they had more heart than Mansfield, in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 pm

One thing that will work against Newport, Demetriou will have more difficulty getting his long throws as far into the box at Wembley.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Mike Dean celebrating in the Tranmere end is the best thing I’ve seen all season. Absolutely brilliant
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Mike Dean celebrating in the Tranmere end is the best thing I’ve seen all season. Absolutely brilliant

I loved that, pure passion. Sometimes we forget referees are humans too! :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Mellon: I'm gutted for Flicker, he had such a fantastic team.

......who he could not get automatic promotion with or even get them to Wembley (a bit of a back handed compliment).

DF seems a nice bloke but I reckon other managers fancy their chances of getting one over on him.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Ryan Lowe states Newport and Tranmere had more heart than their opponents over these play off legs , but also said 'flicker's done an unbelievable job at mansfield'

cooper also fuming about the refereeing, it has been pretty poor over these league 2 play off games

The games being so close together has shown up the huge inconsistencies between different referees.

FGR had two sent off yet Newport somehow escaped with none, unbelievable
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

The games being so close together has shown up the huge inconsistencies between different referees.

FGR had two sent off yet Newport somehow escaped with none, unbelievable

I've also just read that the red card in the Sunderland pompey game has been overturned as well!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Tranmere v Newport in the Play Off Final.

Two teams we have beaten 6-0 on aggregate in home games :evil:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Tranmere a good solid team with no shirkers and a brilliant striker for this level. Sickening that we have a better squad of players that couldn't perform on the big occasion, whether down to mentality or poor management.

Four good full backs/wing backs on show. Monthe excellent, as were Perkins and Harris.

Doidge was useless, couldn't trap a bag of sand. Brown a really good player but FGR couldn't get him on the ball.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 am

Hope they go up, fans have a bit of class. Always remember them clapping our fans bus out the ground when we went back for the rescheduled game in our relegation season (we were already down after the results on the Saturday when they abandoned the original game)
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Mellon: I'm gutted for Flicker, he had such a fantastic team.

Better team than the other three without a doubt on the skill side. But too our cost we're way behind the others in terms of grit and getting the job done when the expectation was ramped up.
For me, the one result at Clownty in that simply gutless, clueless, pathetic display at the Lane that day has cost us.
I'll never again from now on in talk of promotion until it's confirmed, we could be 20 points clear by next Xmas and still there'd be that side of me thinking 'they'll bottle it when things start getting serious'.

Bad days at the office come around on occasion for all top teams, but we've had far too many against the poorer teams in the League to be considered anything other than bottlers.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 am

So the other managers thought that Flitcroft had by far the best team...............and yet he failed.

Speaks volumes to me.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:So the other managers thought that Flitcroft had by far the best team...............and yet he failed.

Speaks volumes to me.

Everyone in football can see DF has failed.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:So the other managers thought that Flitcroft had by far the best team...............and yet he failed.

Speaks volumes to me.

he said it himself after the game I'm sure, and a few players have tweeted saying they've failed. they know what they've done and I'm sure JR has told them that as well
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:18 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Speaks volumes to me.

he said it himself after the game I'm sure, and a few players have tweeted saying they've failed. they know what they've done and I'm sure JR has told them that as well

Shame certain fans seem to think missing out on promotion with a top 3 budget is the sign of a top manager.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kernow » Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 am

Want Newport to win, so I do not need to go there again.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 am

Who cares.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum