{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Major surgery to the squad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Major surgery to the squad

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Tyrese Sinclair is meant to be decent so I hear
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Sorry that the injuries have had such an impact; Davies, Olejnik, white.

I do not agree. All clubs get injuries. You have to have a Plan B and we did not have one. We were a striker short and a right wing back short from the start of the season.

Craig Davies had not played well in the games that he played and Stags fans were starting to have a go at him. We also had perfectly good back up goalkeepers in Conrad Logan and Jordan Smith and when Conrad initially came into the team we went on a good run of games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:44 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Tyrese Sinclair is meant to be decent so I hear

Yes keeping an eye on him as here nothing but good things.

Hopefully he starts to get involved with the first team next year.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 13, 2019 9:49 pm

when’s the retained list out anyone know?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Tyrese Sinclair is not strong enough at the moment. Gets bullied and knocked off the ball too easily. Good at free kicks though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 14, 2019 6:21 am

Agree with many on here, the amount of surgery required depends on a couple of things. How many bigger clubs come in for our better players and the budget Radford provides to DF.

We’ve effectively already lost Walker and need to find a top goalscorer at this level. I’d also expect interest in CJ and most of our back line given our record this season and the individual awards picked up, it shows managers at our level appreciate our players.

On top of replacing the losses we need to add to squad depth, it felt too many of the reserves either didn’t keep up the top 3 quality and several were not necessarily played in preferred positions. I’d like we expect DF has preferred formation all of the squad need to fit into/around it. That said I think we were unlucky with certain injuries, e.g. pretty much all strikers for large parts of the season with the exception of Walker.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 am

Certainly gaps to fill.
Is Bobby gonna be fit for the season start for the goalkeepers position? Yes, Logan did well in 2 play off games but isnt of the level of the Newport keeper or Exeters and a couple of others.
I dont think personally Pearce will leave and we should keep Turner (MOM last couple of games) Sweeney. Preston and hopefully Benning. White back will be like a new signing.
Midfield has something missing. Bishop is forced to fade a little. MacDonald has been poor since he came back in. Tomlinson hot and cold and you get the impression Flitcroft doesnt fancy him.
Strikers will be the main issue. Walker will go. Ajose will go. Rose just wont score enough, but will always be a good plan B. God knows about Davies...I doubt hes good enough to trouble Norwood at the top end of the scoring charts...he certainly didnt look it the few games he played. So at least 2 quality strikers.
And last of all the manager needs to up his game...stop boring us with "the passion, all pulling together, intensity, club bond drivel" and get them to play the right way on the pitch instead. Been out-thought by other managers tactically far too many times in 2019.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 8:40 am

Before Davies came here he was constantly getting 10/12 goals in L1 and that’s what you need alongside a Walker, we clearly still need to bring in at least two strikers.

Rose and Macca should leave personally, can likely get a fee for both too.

Hoping White has not lost his pace after that terrible injury, we have missed him so much.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby milne6 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Because we can do better than someone who scores 4 goals a season and throws a strop when he wanted to leave. He showed this club no loyalty and should of been sold when we had chance.

This

4 goals in 15 months*

even sky sports commentators and BBC website notice how often he was rolling about on the floor over last two games

issue is with rose, he promotes us going direct - a style of football that doesn't suit us
This is a Signature
milne6
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

I have been a big critic of Danny Rose and never could see why everyone raves about him. He goes for the spectacular not the easy and is always diving.

However credit where it is due, during the play offs no-one tried harder or took more hammer than Danny Rose, well done Danny. I don't think he looked like scoring but he tried hard and shows what we could have done with a good target man.

I can't stand Ollie Palmer and never want him back but the player he's developed into could have fit the bill.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

milne6 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Because we can do better than someone who scores 4 goals a season and throws a strop when he wanted to leave. He showed this club no loyalty and should of been sold when we had chance.

This

4 goals in 15 months*

even sky sports commentators and BBC website notice how often he was rolling about on the floor over last two games

issue is with rose, he promotes us going direct - a style of football that doesn't suit us

We were going long in the first half against MK to Walker. We decided to do it a lot more in the second half of the season - playing Rose made sense as he has more of a presence than Walker in the air.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum