{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Cowley on Sky...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Cowley on Sky...

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 6:42 pm

madstagman wrote:Who in their right mind would pay money for C j , not me personally

Apparently Aston Villa, West Brom and Preston were prepared to.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 pm

I sometimes wonder if some fans actually watch the game or spend their time singing and talking.

CJ has one of the best first touches you will see at this level and often instantly controls the ball. He brought one down near to the Bishop Street Stand on Sunday when he had no right to. Not only did he control the ball but he immediately set off at speed creating panic in the Newport defence. It was highlighted on Sky and described as unbelievable skill.

I'm not saying he gets it right every time as he clearly doesn't but he does have more than just pace. I hope we can keep him but know he will be off to the championship where he will do well. Please don't send him there with a bad taste in his mouth thinking Stags fans don't rate him.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I sometimes wonder if some fans actually watch the game or spend their time singing and talking.

CJ has one of the best first touches you will see at this level and often instantly controls the ball. He brought one down near to the Bishop Street Stand on Sunday when he had no right to. Not only did he control the ball but he immediately set off at speed creating panic in the Newport defence. It was highlighted on Sky and described as unbelievable skill.

I'm not saying he gets it right every time as he clearly doesn't but he does have more than just pace. I hope we can keep him but know he will be off to the championship where he will do well. Please don't send him there with a bad taste in his mouth thinking Stags fans don't rate him.

Give over Sandy. I like CJ but his first touch is one of his poorest attributes. I said to my mate on Sunday regarding the touch you’ve mentioned that lots of scouts will be watching and thinking ‘wow he’s got a cracking touch’ when 7 times out of 10 it will spanner out for a throw in, especially on his right foot.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I sometimes wonder if some fans actually watch the game or spend their time singing and talking.

He'd also benefit having people in the box to cross for... often when he needs to release the ball our lads aren't in the box yet.

Cj will do good in a decent league one side or even bottom half mid table championship.

Some on here said Sam Clucas was raspberry. Cj will go higher than us, fact
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm amazed at people slagging off CJ who we turned a bid of 750k down for didn't we? He's scored 14 goals, and I dont know how many assists, people say they want exciting football at the Mill, but they want rid of one of the most exciting players here for years, absolute madness. I hope we keep CJ, because replacing him will not be easy, but I hope we get great offers, hopefully the amazing goal away at Newport will have raised his profile even higher.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 pm

1970Stag wrote:I'm amazed at people slagging off CJ who we turned a bid of 750k down for didn't we? He's scored 14 goals, and I dont know how many assists, people say they want exciting football at the Mill, but they want rid of one of the most exciting players here for years, absolute madness. I hope we keep CJ, because replacing him will not be easy, but I hope we get great offers, hopefully the amazing goal away at Newport will have raised his profile even higher.

CJs one of the best on his day in our league. But we should cash in now because If we don’t we get sweet FA for him next year when we can’t match what a lower championship club offers once his contract is up and he’s over the age of compensation to the original club.

It will be fans like you then moaning we never get good fees for our players.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
1970Stag wrote:I'm amazed at people slagging off CJ who we turned a bid of 750k down for didn't we? He's scored 14 goals, and I dont know how many assists, people say they want exciting football at the Mill, but they want rid of one of the most exciting players here for years, absolute madness. I hope we keep CJ, because replacing him will not be easy, but I hope we get great offers, hopefully the amazing goal away at Newport will have raised his profile even higher.

CJs one of the best on his day in our league. But we should cash in now because If we don’t we get sweet FA for him next year when we can’t match what a lower championship club offers once his contract is up and he’s over the age of compensation to the original club.

It will be fans like you then moaning we never get good fees for our players.

then we either offer him a new deal or take the cash if it's offered this summer! easier said than done though
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 9:41 pm

It's probably time to cash in on CJ if we receive a good offer otherwise he will walk for free next season. I think left wing back will be his position. There will not be many LWB's with his pace.

I would also not blame JR if he wanted to get a few quid back.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 am

Definitely time for CJ to go if we get anything like the fees reported in January.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Give over Sandy. I like CJ but his first touch is one of his poorest attributes. I said to my mate on Sunday regarding the touch you’ve mentioned that lots of scouts will be watching and thinking ‘wow he’s got a cracking touch’ when 7 times out of 10 it will spanner out for a throw in, especially on his right foot.

Hahaha I said the exact same! I was amazed he pulled that one off! Still can't believe it now either! We've all had one or two of our own though playing Sunday League where it comes off and you shock yourself! :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 am

Struggling to see where the comments for CJ come from this season. He's been played out of position for over half of this season to shoehorn him into the side. If he'd have played out on the left wing all season and failed then yes, comments are expected but he's filled in mostly down the right when he's left footed and really doesn't use the right foot. When he's been in his position on the left he's been a lot better. Up top he's improved, scored a few goals, but a proper striker would've been better but we didn't have one for one reason or another. Fair play to him for trying to help the team playing out of position
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ST4GS » Tue May 14, 2019 9:26 am

Sedgwick wrote:

He'd also benefit having people in the box to cross for... often when he needs to release the ball our lads aren't in the box yet.

Cj will do good in a decent league one side or even bottom half mid table championship.

Some on here said Sam Clucas was raspberry. Cj will go higher than us, fact

I don't know one single fan who said or thought that but Paul Cox seemed to think it at the time hence Clucas getting splinters in his backside at the end of his spell with us.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 am

Cj will go on to be a even better player, felt like a goodbye him clapping at the end and I wish him all the best.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 am

Imagine how good CJ would be if he played in one position regularly.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 am

His first touch is pretty average.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue May 14, 2019 11:40 am

Reminds me of Raheem Sterling, he was absolute raspberry for long periods but has now developed and matured, CJ will do the same. I'm not saying he will play in the Premiership but who knows. He is devastating at times, as he gets older his football knowledge, composure and decision making will improve.
Already he is a decent footballer with pace most can only wish for, he will cut it at a higher level.

Like someone has already said, what would have been if we'd played him in his best position out wide all season.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am

This has got another Clucas written all over it - We play him out of position, gets a transfer out and goes on to become a Prem player. I fear the same will happen with CJ, he could be brilliant if played in the right role.
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum