{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Potential Managers (Plan B)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Potential Managers (Plan B)

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm

garlic wrote:ok, if DF were to go, and I dont think he will, I would grab Dave Artell who has done incredibly well at Crewe with virtually no budget and get Leroy in the backroom to bring through the young lads

What makes you think Leroy is qualified to do that task.

He's been assistant manager at Belper Town and that's it in coaching.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon May 13, 2019 6:47 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
garlic wrote:ok, if DF were to go, and I dont think he will, I would grab Dave Artell who has done incredibly well at Crewe with virtually no budget and get Leroy in the backroom to bring through the young lads

What makes you think Leroy is qualified to do that task.

He's been assistant manager at Belper Town and that's it in coaching.

he has, I believe, all his badges. He has also played at the highest level and been brought through the youth ranks here so knows what it takes to get established as a youngster at this level.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Old amber » Mon May 13, 2019 6:57 pm

None of em.... stick with the one we’ve got... changing it now won’t achieve owt
Give him at least until November....Mr Flitcroft knows he’ll be on thin ice... Dave Artell... behave!!
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Chris Houghton is available. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 pm

There are better options in L2 than Artell. Jim Bentley and Michael Duff spring to mind.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There are better options in L2 than Artell. Jim Bentley and Michael Duff spring to mind.

Why are we hoping to just stop next season?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:There are better options in L2 than Artell. Jim Bentley and Michael Duff spring to mind.

What?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

What?

I said, are we hoping to just stop up next season.... :)

Both done nothing...... Jim just keeps Morecambe up each year, what make you think he could lead a promotion push.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm

I don’t particularly, but I would take them both over Artell. Every year Morecambe are favourites for relegation and they over-achieve.

Bentley is the perfect example of someone who consistently outperforms his budget and that makes him a good manager in my eyes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 pm

What about Colin Calderwood?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 pm

part time pete wrote:What about Colin Calderwood?

That's certainly another manager with a Mansfield connection Pete. David Artell is another one.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am

There are rumours that Ryan Lowe has been interviewed for the Plymouth Argyle job. He'd be a good choice for our manager or assistant manager especially if he could bring the likes of Danny Mayor, Jay O'Shea, Nicky Maynard and Nicky Adams with him.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 8:19 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:There are rumours that Ryan Lowe has been interviewed for the Plymouth Argyle job. He'd be a good choice for our manager or assistant manager especially if he could bring the likes of Danny Mayor, Jay O'Shea, Nicky Maynard and Nicky Adams with him.

In what world is he going to become our assistant manager Tippy?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 8:22 am

......in a world where JR is being very kind and forgiving to DF :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 am

I think Flitcroft will get another season.He is a genuine guy and with a few new arrivals will have no excuse not to get in the top three.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:......in a world where JR is being very kind and forgiving to DF :lol:

But even so, why would a manager who has just won promotion off his own back want to drop down a division to become an assistant at a club where we already have one and where he has already outperformed the manager he would be working under?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 am

Ronnie Moore is up for it ( again) and the last 6 games Flitcroft made him look like a football genius.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 am

Ryan Lowe is talking to Plymouth, cannot blame him.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue May 14, 2019 8:56 am

Because the hurt of the bottle job for two seasons running is still raw, a lot are forgetting that for the first half of the season, we were the joint toughest team to beat along with Liverpool in the whole country.
As long as Flitcroft can get to the bottom of the root cause behind the bottle job, then there's no reason he should be out of work for the foreseeable.

Bury at home, Morecambe at home, Exeter away, Charlton at home in the cup (and away funnily enough even though we got spanked but just couldn't score), and various games where we turned up for 45 minute spells, showed that when we got the ball down, we were hard to live with in this division and capable of beating anyone. Why it took such a drastic turn into becoming Paul Cox-esque still baffles me as it does every Stags fan I know.
The excuse for the change in football can't be the White and Olejnik injuries, because every player who was keeping the ball and looking confident/comfortable in possession suddenly became the opposite, as though instructed to do so.

So....we are clearly a better and more successful side playing football the way we want to and enjoy seeing.

That said...IF...we changed manager, not many names on that list of yours TTF stand out as being anything other than pragmatist managers.
Ironically one of the best footballing teams I thought to come here was Sol Campbell's Macclesfield!
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am

stagmanrob wrote:Because the hurt of the bottle job for two seasons running is still raw, a lot are forgetting that for the first half of the season, we were the joint toughest team to beat along with Liverpool in the whole country.
As long as Flitcroft can get to the bottom of the root cause behind the bottle job, then there's no reason he should be out of work for the foreseeable.

Bury at home, Morecambe at home, Exeter away, Charlton at home in the cup (and away funnily enough even though we got spanked but just couldn't score), and various games where we turned up for 45 minute spells, showed that when we got the ball down, we were hard to live with in this division and capable of beating anyone. Why it took such a drastic turn into becoming Paul Cox-esque still baffles me as it does every Stags fan I know.
The excuse for the change in football can't be the White and Olejnik injuries, because every player who was keeping the ball and looking confident/comfortable in possession suddenly became the opposite, as though instructed to do so.

So....we are clearly a better and more successful side playing football the way we want to and enjoy seeing.

That said...IF...we changed manager, not many names on that list of yours TTF stand out as being anything other than pragmatist managers.
Ironically one of the best footballing teams I thought to come here was Sol Campbell's Macclesfield!

I wish we had become Paul Cox-esque, we might have won a game or two at the end of the season :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t particularly, but I would take them both over Artell. Every year Morecambe are favourites for relegation and they over-achieve.

Bentley is the perfect example of someone who consistently outperforms his budget and that makes him a good manager in my eyes.

Dont be silly, stagsnet loves a manager who does the complete opposite to this.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 10:13 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t particularly, but I would take them both over Artell. Every year Morecambe are favourites for relegation and they over-achieve.

Dont be silly, stagsnet loves a manager who does the complete opposite to this.

Jim Bentley ticks a lot of the boxes for me also. Old head who has been around and seen it all, knows the division inside out and gets players within his budget to do the job they need to. I know he hasn't troubled the upper reaches but he's never had the budget to do so.

If he brought Kevin Ellison with him as his assistant that would be even better. Ellison is not everyone's cup of tea but what better motivator could you get, I'm sure other players respect him.

Changing the manager may or may not work but I'm sure keeping the current one won't ..
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 am

Hjeldefan wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Because the hurt of the bottle job for two seasons running is still raw, a lot are forgetting that for the first half of the season, we were the joint toughest team to beat along with Liverpool in the whole country.

I wish we had become Paul Cox-esque, we might have won a game or two at the end of the season :lol:

We did...the difference being Coxy recruited the players that fit that style perfectly. We have players who fit the style we played up until the end of December, now playing in a way they are simply not built for.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 am

Insane thread
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 10:34 am

bellwhiff wrote:Insane thread

Why?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext