{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thank you Tyler Walker

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Thank you Tyler Walker

Postby Jamie » Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 am

People don't seem to be able to read... I'm talking about his chances of making it higher than L1. To do that you need more than a decent eye for goal and holding it up when played to feet.

Was he head and shoulders above other options in this league. No... he hasn't stood out like other players we've had who went onto play championship or top flight football.

Not trying to pan the lad but hes a bit of a coaster. He has the potential but to progress he'll need to commit a lot more than has he.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 am

bellwhiff wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Jamie wrote:Good player who knows where goal is but IMO hes too lazy and lightweight to play any higher than L1.

Just look at the effort we get from Rose and compare that to Walker. Could he play in a team that presses high all the time? Not from what I've seen. Could he play for a direct team? Not from what I've seen. Has he run himself empty or into the ground this season for us? Rarely...

I'm grateful for his efforts and wish him all the best but if he wants to progress to the top leagues he needs more fire in his belly and to start competing physically.

People on this forum are obsessed with players who run around with no actual substance.

Rose has had a dreadful season, Walker has scored 20+. I know who I would prefer in the starting 11.

Yep. If there’s one player to get shut of, it’s Rose

Not selling Rose was my ne of the biggest mistakes this season.

Why the love in for him I will never know.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon May 13, 2019 9:57 am

Without Tiler's goals we would have been fighting relegation, I would love to see him with us next season but don't think it will happen.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 10:20 am

oldweststander wrote:Without Tiler's goals we would have been fighting relegation, I would love to see him with us next season but don't think it will happen.

No we wouldnt have been fighting relegation.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks Tyler and good luck in either league 1 or maybe with Luton/Barnsley in the championship. Think it will be Lincoln but you never know.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Without Tiler's goals we would have been fighting relegation, I would love to see him with us next season but don't think it will happen.

No we wouldnt have been fighting relegation.

No one gets relegated with a defence as strong as ours has been - best in the league... Taking out of the goals Walker scored would have seen us mid table more likely.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon May 13, 2019 11:14 am

Walker became brilliant at holding up the ball by the end of the season too, great player that's more than ready to bang the goals in at L1.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 am

He is technically outstanding. If he had his Dads pace we would never have got to see him play for us.

He wont sign another season here , he'll be heading up the leagues like Ben Whiteman.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon May 13, 2019 11:33 am

A shame it ended this way Tyler but you can hold your head up high, thanks!

We’ve depended on his goals and he’ll be tough to replace, that said I hope he’ll appreciate the game time and experience that we’ve provided and how it’s helped him improve his game. He’s now ready for the next step, there will be plenty of league 1 clubs after him on loan next season.

I don’t know who forest have up and coming but it will be interesting if they’ll let them come here again next season. It seems very positive for Walker but Grant and Smith have had issues.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am

I am Spartacus wrote:Thank you Tyler for showing us what a first touch really is, for the goals you scored and your movement. It is a great shame that to many you will remembered for a penalty miss though to many you will be remembered for what could have been had we given you the service and a strike partner.

I hope as you leave us for bigger and better things in league 1 next season and thereafter that you are fondly remembered and welcomed back. You may have become, with just staying one season and scoring, this generations Steve Whitehall.

This :good_post:
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 13, 2019 11:52 am

Can’t pin any blame on Tyler. It happens. He tried to score.

Not like Liam Lawrence’s cold fart of an effort
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Why oh why did he put his middle finger up at the linesmen. He cost us big time as well.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon May 13, 2019 1:05 pm

He has had a very good season and you cannot knock 20+ goals in any division.

Now for my unpopular opinion. I won't be the slightest bit bothered he doesn't come back. If we continue with 3-5-2 (which I think we will) we need strikers up top who link together and play off each other and no matter who he is paired with he doesn't seem to do it.

Obviously the plan was for him and Davies to be the pair but when Davies got injured he has played with Rose, Ajose and Hamilton and not linked with any of them on any type of regular basis.

Don't get me wrong he has been a massive contributor and I don't blame him for last night for one second but if he isn't scoring that contribution goes down to 0%. Yes I get the argument that is his only job but for me he needs to bring more for what he costs.

Tin hat firmly in place.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm

People spend years demanding a 20 goal striker and when they get one they are still not happy.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:People spend years demanding a 20 goal striker and when they get one they are still not happy.

Know what I mean.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Would love Tyler to sit and reflect and think a while. Would love it if he thought, 'the job's not finished, just maybe I'll give it another go next season'.
Amber coloured view obviously.
Good luck Tyler, you almost gained legendary status.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:Would love Tyler to sit and reflect and think a while. Would love it if he thought, 'the job's not finished, just maybe I'll give it another go next season'.

As Forest fan said earlier in the season. Tyler can become a legend at Mansfield or be Des Walkers son at Forest.

Paired with the right strike partner in this league he could top 30 goals a season.

I get what KCasselsfootygenius meant though, but it's been down to the lack of a partner. When Matt Green was in his pomp he could terrorise a defence single handedly (like the night we spanked Newport 5-0). Tyler doesn't have that physicality yet and could disappear in games.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Would love Tyler to sit and reflect and think a while. Would love it if he thought, 'the job's not finished, just maybe I'll give it another go next season'.

As Forest fan said earlier in the season. Tyler can become a legend at Mansfield or be Des Walkers son at Forest.

Paired with the right strike partner in this league he could top 30 goals a season.

I get what KCasselsfootygenius meant though, but it's been down to the lack of a partner. When Matt Green was in his pomp he could terrorise a defence single handedly (like the night we spanked Newport 5-0). Tyler doesn't have that physicality yet and could disappear in games.

Thank you for your services Tyler. Look forward to your return if that's possible. O'h...you are welcome to bring Appiah with you too from Forest.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Mon May 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Rob wrote:I too wish him all the best and there is no doubt he knows where the goal is - I do think there are aspects of his overall game he needs to work on and also agree that for the wages we spent on him, he is not irreplaceable. We created bucket loads of chances this season, if he goes to the Millers or Imps I doubt he will get as many chances and will find the going much tougher, this is where the other aspects of his game might be found wanting.

I agree with all that, but this season he was still quite young and experienced. Less so now, having had an absolutely perfect club and season for his loan spell. But in a couple of seasons he could be quite a distinguished striker at Championship level.
At the moment I'm still a little underwhelmed, surprising considering his record. I think it's his lack of outright aggression.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon May 13, 2019 5:43 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Jamie wrote:Good player who knows where goal is but IMO hes too lazy and lightweight to play any higher than L1.

Just look at the effort we get from Rose and compare that to Walker. Could he play in a team that presses high all the time? Not from what I've seen. Could he play for a direct team? Not from what I've seen. Has he run himself empty or into the ground this season for us? Rarely...

I'm grateful for his efforts and wish him all the best but if he wants to progress to the top leagues he needs more fire in his belly and to start competing physically.

People on this forum are obsessed with players who run around with no actual substance.

Rose has had a dreadful season, Walker has scored 20+. I know who I would prefer in the starting 11.

These points above are absolutely spot on, and exactly why I despair at us lot sometimes. Just because Danny Rose runs round like a loon with his head down, cheeks puffed out and jumps about a couple times a game, that to some people somehow equates to (if not makes them MORE worthwhile) the same quality as someone who has scored 20+ feeding off scraps all year.

Players of quality won't find appreciation at this club. You need to run around like a div aimlessly, win a few headers, maybe run into folk and then you'll get praise for 'working hard for the shirt'. Don't bother being actually good at football, it's not a requirement.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Billy the fish » Mon May 13, 2019 5:48 pm

He needs someone like Norwood to do the graft for him Tyler obviously has an eye for goal but will never cut it leading the line alone he gets bullied too easily . I’d take Norwood or Doige every time if given the option .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 5:49 pm

WVStag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

These points above are absolutely spot on, and exactly why I despair at us lot sometimes. Just because Danny Rose runs round like a loon with his head down, cheeks puffed out and jumps about a couple times a game, that to some people somehow equates to (if not makes them MORE worthwhile) the same quality as someone who has scored 20+ feeding off scraps all year.

Players of quality won't find appreciation at this club. You need to run around like a div aimlessly, win a few headers, maybe run into folk and then you'll get praise for 'working hard for the shirt'. Don't bother being actually good at football, it's not a requirement.

This has got to have a nomination for stagsnet stupid post of the year.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 5:56 pm

It’s right actually. Look at the praise Macca and Rose get from our fans and the threads we have about wanting rid of Walker and CJ. Look at the stick Grant got after five or six bad games when he contributed more in the good games he did have than a lot have all season. Same goes for Khan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 6:10 pm

I think Walker has been excellent this season and really developed as a player. His first touch is excellent and he links up play well when the ball is played in to his feet. I’m gutted it ended the way it did for him.

How people can say he doesn’t work hard is beyond me, and to compare him with Rose is just mental. Rose works hard, Walker works smart. One has 4 goals, the other has 25+, I know who I’d be taking every day of the week!

Some people would be happy with a team of players that just will run all day long but have no technical ability.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:It’s right actually. Look at the praise Macca and Rose get from our fans and the threads we have about wanting rid of Walker and CJ. Look at the stick Grant got after five or six bad games when he contributed more in the good games he did have than a lot have all season. Same goes for Khan.

Very often in league 2 graft and physicality is a better asset than just skill. I think last night proved that. If you have both then you are better than league 2 standard.

I'm not devaluing what Walker and Grant (in his first few games ), did for us. In fact it was a privilege to witness their skill levels.

I hope they both go on to have top careers.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum