{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

DF Barmy army

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: DF Barmy army

Postby CassellsCap » Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 pm

I get the point about fading way before the last 5 games and I agree we did lose our style of play like we showed in the first half of season but we still managed to stay up there near the top. To be honest I think this season the league has been below par and to finish were we did just shows the quality wasn’t as good but overall as a fan I have enjoyed it..apart from the ending.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 pm

CassellsCap wrote:I get the point about fading way before the last 5 games and I agree we did lose our style of play like we showed in the first half of season but we still managed to stay up there near the top. To be honest I think this season the league has been below par and to finish were we did just shows the quality wasn’t as good but overall as a fan I have enjoyed it..apart from the ending.

The league will be slot harder next season.

Bradford
Scunthorpe
Plymouth
Us
Port Vale
Salford
Northampton
Leyton Orient
Either Tranmere or FGR

All will have good budgets and be competitive.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 am

Port Vale?
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 13, 2019 5:38 am

BigGuy wrote:Port Vale?

New owners who will actually back the club.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Mon May 13, 2019 5:50 am

Accrington Stanley last season and now Newport County prove budgets do not dictate who is to be successful

Both IMO have better Managers
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Mon May 13, 2019 6:51 am

tuopolfpilf wrote:Accrington Stanley last season and now Newport County prove budgets do not dictate who is to be successful

Both IMO have better Managers

They’re also not bottlers.

He still just about deserves another go next season but I imagine that radford is going to have a full and frank conversation with him on where it’s gone wrong.

We go again! COYS
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 am

Personally would love to see DF get binned off but who do we bring in? Not a great deal out there at the minute.
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagmanrob » Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 am

JLStag wrote:Personally would love to see DF get binned off but who do we bring in? Not a great deal out there at the minute.

Not saying I want him gone, I think given the start to our season he deserves another shot providing they get to the bottom of why we were shocking post-January and it gets rectified.

But IF....we ever went for a different manager, one who tries to play football the right way, but also does wonders without a budget so clearly can coach a team and set them up correctly would be the way to go.

Sol Campbell seems to think he's the best in the world already :lol: but for me someone like Jim Bentley...although he's very much Morecambe through and through.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 13, 2019 8:10 am

Hjeldefan wrote:Honestly baffled how anyone can still want this manager. He gets found out each and every year because he has no plan b. Good managers finish the season well because they adapt throughout the season and deal with the issues that come up. Flitcroft in 2 seasons has been absolutely woeful from March onwards...Because he has no plan B and no idea how to change a game. Plus he plays the most boring football imaginable. How many times this season have we done well in a big game? Zero.

Bwahahahaha
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am

I love the "entitled" view of many of our fans.
A number of football teams have sacked their managers for getting relegated, some have actually stuck by them. Now, we would like our manager sacked for finishing 4th in the League... our highest finishing position in around 15 years. Jeez we are becoming so Chelsea
"but we should have been promoted", "he has no plan B", "he bottles it at the end of the season", "with a top 3 budget we should finish top 3"
Yes our owners have ploughed money into the team, but they have also ploughed money into the ground, training ground, hotel(?), Bishop Street stand. Money can influence promotion, but not necessarily guarantee it, as Mr Hardy has so unfortunately found out.

I think the club is on the up. We have played better football this year (in parts) than any other time in the past 15 years. Yes it hurts to get so close to promotion 2 years running, but should Liverpool sack Klopp for not winning the League? Chelsea are likely to sack Sarri, even if they win in Europe.

I hope we can keep the core of the team together, and Flitcroft can continue to develop the players, style and enhance where necessary. I think we suffered a Knee jerk reaction to injuries and the desire to succeed in the January transfer window. Lesson learned hopefully.

A new manager would need to build trust, change the style of play, get his own squad etc... minimum 2/3 years for promotion, or would we sack them after 18 months too?

Too many years of false expectations from the club I love to be bitter about non-promotion. We are now a quality League 2 team... not mid-table in the Conference.

We are Mansfield. We get knocked down. We shake ourselves off. We get up again. Repeat
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 am

Gruff wrote:I love the "entitled" view of many of our fans.
A number of football teams have sacked their managers for getting relegated, some have actually stuck by them. Now, we would like our manager sacked for finishing 4th in the League... our highest finishing position in around 15 years. Jeez we are becoming so Chelsea
"but we should have been promoted", "he has no plan B", "he bottles it at the end of the season", "with a top 3 budget we should finish top 3"
Yes our owners have ploughed money into the team, but they have also ploughed money into the ground, training ground, hotel(?), Bishop Street stand. Money can influence promotion, but not necessarily guarantee it, as Mr Hardy has so unfortunately found out.

I think the club is on the up. We have played better football this year (in parts) than any other time in the past 15 years. Yes it hurts to get so close to promotion 2 years running, but should Liverpool sack Klopp for not winning the League? Chelsea are likely to sack Sarri, even if they win in Europe.

I hope we can keep the core of the team together, and Flitcroft can continue to develop the players, style and enhance where necessary. I think we suffered a Knee jerk reaction to injuries and the desire to succeed in the January transfer window. Lesson learned hopefully.

A new manager would need to build trust, change the style of play, get his own squad etc... minimum 2/3 years for promotion, or would we sack them after 18 months too?

Too many years of false expectations from the club I love to be bitter about non-promotion. We are now a quality League 2 team... not mid-table in the Conference.

We are Mansfield. We get knocked down. We shake ourselves off. We get up again. Repeat

Good post
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon May 13, 2019 9:15 am

I agree 100% with Gruff.We have improved under Flitcroft.Pretty surehr knows where we went wrong and expect he will remedy this.I would keep him for one more season if we don't get promoted then he will go.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am

Massively improved under him. You can see (imo) that DF is hurting. unlike a certain evans who didnt care...

Plea to JR... Stick with him, back him again. Get walker signed on a perm...

We have a team capable with a couple of minor tweaks.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby VoiceOfReason » Mon May 13, 2019 9:40 am

Last year 8th
This year 4th
Next year ?

The biggest factors to continuing any positive trend is stability.

Change now would probably see the above trend halted /reversed. It’s difficult /impossible to build a new management team and playing team and expect top 3 finish in the first year. JR knows this.

Let DF assess the missing 5% (ruthlessness in the opposition box) and give it a right good go next season.

For what it’s worth I thing the biggest factor in not getting over the line was losing Craig Davies. Our front line has lacked a little physicality when it was needed.

Can’t see many other missing ingredients ??
VoiceOfReason
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am

Chander Lear wrote:Massively improved under him. You can see (imo) that DF is hurting. unlike a certain evans who didnt care...

Are you drunk ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am

I’d imagine we would have improved, he was given a massive promotion budget - which was the aim.

I reckon if the cowleys we’re managing this season we’d have won the league (awaits abuse)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon May 13, 2019 9:57 am

and if we had had Kevin Nolan, Harry Kewell and Neal Ardley ???
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 am

[quote="VoiceOfReason"]Last year 8th
This year 4th
Next year ?

The biggest factors to continuing any positive trend is stability.

Change now would probably see the above trend halted /reversed. It’s difficult /impossible to build a new management team and playing team and expect top 3 finish in the first year. JR knows this.

Let DF assess the missing 5% (ruthlessness in the opposition box) and give it a right good go next season.

But where should we have been at the end of the last two seasons?

Playoffs followed by top three in my opinion and I don't think that is unreasonable expectations. So looking at that angle Flitcroft has failed both times so why do you think he will succeed next year?

We weren't just short in the opposition box this year and much more than 5% improvement is needed.

Let me ask this, if it isn't down to the managers skill (for the most part) how did we manage promotion to a higher level under Haslem? Did he throw multi millions at the team to get us up or did we have a management team who knew what they were doing? When he did put some money in it was with a rookie manager who was learning (Curle) and he failed.

Invest in a good experienced manager who has already been on the learning curve and the rest will come.

Please read last bit in the box as I forgot to hit return before typing
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:Massively improved under him. You can see (imo) that DF is hurting. unlike a certain evans who didnt care...

Are you drunk ?

Why, for wanting to sign walker full time? Radford more or less came out and said he'd offer him a decent package, as he wont be having his contract renewed at forest. Fair enough other clubs will be wanting him.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:04 am

Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Are you drunk ?

Why, for wanting to sign walker full time? Radford more or less came out and said he'd offer him a decent package, as he wont be having his contract renewed at forest. Fair enough other clubs will be wanting him.

Walker has a forest contract till 2021 - they will loan him out to a league 1 side like they should.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 10:15 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Are you drunk ?

Walker has a forest contract till 2021 - they will loan him out to a league 1 side like they should.

Didnt forest come out and say players like walker and grant will be getting released? Might be wrong here.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 am

Chander Lear wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Are you drunk ?

Didnt forest come out and say players like walker and grant will be getting released? Might be wrong here.

That would be really unprofessional if they did! You would assume all loan players would go back, be reviewed then either loaned back out, transfer listed or kept in the squad.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 am

Chander Lear wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:

Are you drunk ?

Never ever seen anything posted like that as if it were stagsnet would of exploded with this news.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 10:28 am

Why, for wanting to sign walker full time? Radford more or less came out and said he'd offer him a decent package, as he wont be having his contract renewed at forest. Fair enough other clubs will be wanting him.[/quote]
Walker has a forest contract till 2021 - they will loan him out to a league 1 side like they should.[/quote]

Didnt forest come out and say players like walker and grant will be getting released? Might be wrong here.[/quote]

Never ever seen anything posted like that as if it were stagsnet would of exploded with this news.[/quote]

It was when forest changed manager. He said that players out on loan were not part of the future plans

ps 5 quote limits suck....
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 13, 2019 10:28 am

Chander Lear wrote:Didnt forest come out and say players like walker and grant will be getting released? Might be wrong here.

No they didn't.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum