{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport game, the future and failure on tv

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Newport game, the future and failure on tv

Postby Kyleaston » Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 pm

We just cannot seem to win on tv, 4 games shown on tv and drawn 2 and lost 2, just find it strange how Sky Sports are making out that Newport were better when we edged second half and dominated extra time.
Will be interesting what effect it will have next season. Just as I thought I can download a full match to see Mansfield win, we bottle it on tv again. Just be interesting to see what the effect is next season, Notts County couldn't recover and got relegated. Hopefully it will not be the same for us. Bring Paul Cox back please?
If we would have played like that in the 1st leg we could have won instead of drawed though but too much defending has cost us. 1st half seemed like too much hoof ball with no support and then we brightened up. I think it's a harsh way to go home though we had a shot off the line and Hamilton and Walker missed chances. Newport were just more clinical especially in penalties. The one time I wanted Logan to make the save with the penalty and this time he couldn't where there would be no rebound concerned.
We had a go, but it's been a cruel and to the season and one that you just wonder what effect it can have on us.
Good luck to Newport, if they are that good, I expect them to win in the final though. I know Newport were formed before the Welsh League, but it's controversial when we lose against a team who shouldn't be in the 'English Football league'.
Kyleaston
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Newport game, the future and failure on tv

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 4:33 am

Kyleaston wrote:We just cannot seem to win on tv, 4 games shown on tv and drawn 2 and lost 2, just find it strange how Sky Sports are making out that Newport were better when we edged second half and dominated extra time.
Will be interesting what effect it will have next season. Just as I thought I can download a full match to see Mansfield win, we bottle it on tv again. Just be interesting to see what the effect is next season, Notts County couldn't recover and got relegated. Hopefully it will not be the same for us. Bring Paul Cox back please?
If we would have played like that in the 1st leg we could have won instead of drawed though but too much defending has cost us. 1st half seemed like too much hoof ball with no support and then we brightened up. I think it's a harsh way to go home though we had a shot off the line and Hamilton and Walker missed chances. Newport were just more clinical especially in penalties. The one time I wanted Logan to make the save with the penalty and this time he couldn't where there would be no rebound concerned.
We had a go, but it's been a cruel and to the season and one that you just wonder what effect it can have on us.
Good luck to Newport, if they are that good, I expect them to win in the final though. I know Newport were formed before the Welsh League, but it's controversial when we lose against a team who shouldn't be in the 'English Football league'.

Why on earth would we want to bring back Paul Cox?

Newport where far from clinical in open play. Fact is they missed abucket load of chances

The difference was their keeper saved Walker's penalty and Logan almost saved one of their penalties. Small margins.

Fact is we should have finished top three, but the poor display against Stevenage and the goal we gave away early doors at MK Dons cost us. I don't think we would have been good enough without wholesale changes in league 1. I also think who ever goes up in the playoffs will struggle next season in league 1 unless they invest heavily in better players.

We need to get over it and start again.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 4:35 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Kyleaston wrote:We just cannot seem to win on tv, 4 games shown on tv and drawn 2 and lost 2, just find it strange how Sky Sports are making out that Newport were better when we edged second half and dominated extra time.

Why on earth would we want to bring back Paul Cox?

Newport where far from clinical in open play. Fact is they missed a bucket load of chances

The difference was their keeper saved Walker's penalty and Logan almost saved one of their penalties. Small margins.

Fact is we should have finished top three, but the poor display against Stevenage and the goal we gave away early doors at MK Dons cost us.

I don't think we would have been good enough without wholesale changes in league 1. I also think who ever goes up in the playoffs will struggle next season in league 1 unless they invest heavily in better players.

We need to get over it and start again.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 am

Paul Cox.......

:hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria:

Past Hero got us back in the EFL

Paul Cox The future for success Ermmmm NOOOOOOO
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 13, 2019 6:02 am

Paul Cox football could make your eye's bleed at times, but he had a adopted a system he knew worked at that level and assembled the right squad to play that way.

He couldn't adapt to the higher level unfortunately.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 am

Newport hit the bar the post and Conrad Logan made another incredible save and they missed 4 easy chances...they played better on the night overall but will struggle in league 1 .. but so will Bury and Mk Dons ...Lincoln will buy a couple and probably be OK...Stags would have struggled with the current squad
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:41 am

Sneag wrote:Paul Cox football could make your eye's bleed at times, but he had a adopted a system he knew worked at that level and assembled the right squad to play that way.

He couldn't adapt to the higher level unfortunately.

DF has been playing similar football recently.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:49 am

Newport were better than us. They go to the PO Final on merit. End of.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 am

It’s play off games we can’t win..

Including play off finals ,we’ve played 9 of them and won the grand total of one (v Northampton)

We have won in 4 attempts at Field Mill
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum