{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let the inquest begin...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Let the inquest begin...

Postby stagmanrob » Sun May 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Questions that need answers for me, and should be the questions that the Radford's are asking after seeing their significant investment go up in smoke again;
  1. Why did we go from being (in the most part) a "footballing" team in the first half of the season, to a very dull, drab, kick and rush sort of team in the 2nd half of the season?
  2. Why was the January transfer window far more of a failure than a success?
  3. Why did we rarely put in a good performance for 90 minutes? In a lot of our games this season, if we were poor in the 1st, we were improved in the 2nd, or vice versa. Bury at home was the blueprint we should have aimed to replicate, but never really ever got close.
  4. Why do the players underperform in front of larger followings? They would clearly have been relegation fodder in League One anyway if we can't play in front of bigger crowds in bigger stadia
  5. What do we need to do to prevent the awful rot of the end of this season, continuing to carry on into the next, just like what happened with County?
  6. Should Flitcroft receive backing of the same level again, or should we have one of those seasons like we had with Cox and Murray after previously having a splurge...i.e. don't get carried away like Hardy did...not forgetting that on a reduced budget, 3 out of 4 players in the League 2 team of the season were signed by Murray on his lesser budget
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: Let the inquest begin...

Postby ParisStag » Sun May 12, 2019 9:29 pm

Fine lines. A refereeing decision here, a player avoiding an injury there, Walker scoring his sitter or penalty, a single goal against Stevenage at 1-1 or at MK and we wouldn't even be talking about an inquest. No club is perfect and all will make mistakes along the way. We've made some this season and will hopefully learn from them, but if things had been only slightly different with one or two things, we'd have gone up.

We just need to tweak a few things and let Flicker get on with it. The support from the fans this season has been tremendous and I was proud to be a Stag today the way we backed them and the manager. That's what we need to keep doing until a point where it's clear he can't lead us any further. I have my doubts about him in the long run, but I do think that he will get us promoted next season, if only because under the Radfords, we continue to improve each year. We'll finish higher than 4th next season in my opinion.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm

ParisStag wrote:Fine lines. A refereeing decision here, a player avoiding an injury there, Walker scoring his sitter or penalty, a single goal against Stevenage at 1-1 or at MK and we wouldn't even be talking about an inquest. No club is perfect and all will make mistakes along the way. We've made some this season and will hopefully learn from them, but if things had been only slightly different with one or two things, we'd have gone up.

We just need to tweak a few things and let Flicker get on with it. The support from the fans this season has been tremendous and I was proud to be a Stag today the way we backed them and the manager. That's what we need to keep doing until a point where it's clear he can't lead us any further. I have my doubts about him in the long run, but I do think that he will get us promoted next season, if only because under the Radfords, we continue to improve each year. We'll finish higher than 4th next season in my opinion.

Good post.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun May 12, 2019 10:07 pm

How long you had this typed up for
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun May 12, 2019 10:11 pm

How long you had this typed up for
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 pm

How many times are you going to post that?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:How many times are you going to post that?

Stagsnet is playing up tonight, plenty posting multiple times.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Stoney wrote:

Probably just as well under the circumstances, let people cool down a bit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Stoney wrote:

Stagsnets on fire, Keyboard warriors are terrified. :getmecoat:

It can't handle the volume of traffic on here atm.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun May 12, 2019 10:21 pm

ParisStag wrote:Fine lines. A refereeing decision here, a player avoiding an injury there, Walker scoring his sitter or penalty, a single goal against Stevenage at 1-1 or at MK and we wouldn't even be talking about an inquest. No club is perfect and all will make mistakes along the way. We've made some this season and will hopefully learn from them, but if things had been only slightly different with one or two things, we'd have gone up.

The fact is for me though mate, we shouldn't have been anywhere near to having to rely on those examples of "fine lines" you stated above.
Only 1 point was required from the possible last 9. We managed zero. I think the end of season form was almost identical to that of the previous season too when we looked nailed on and fell completely away. We had been absolute rammel for around 3 months now with the exception of Morecambe (who were pretty cack anyway) and a very impressive performance at Exeter.
It was evidently coming and whatever caused the bottle job of last season under Flitcroft, seemed to cause the same again.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 pm

3 I can post it again if you're struggling
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum