{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Major surgery to the squad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Major surgery to the squad

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun May 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Whatever happens now, there will be meetings and decisions made on people's future.

The Manager - who knows.
The loanees - will go home.
The players in contract - kept or listed
The players out of contract - released or offered new deals.

Our better players are entitled to want more.from their short careers than L2 and may well leave. Add to that the hole the loanees make, we might need a total rebuild. It's been a good season overall but there will be some citical roles to fill

I think we'll look a lot different next season. The question is if it's for better or worse. Sorry that the injuries have had such an impact; Davies, Olejnik, white.

Hope we get over the line next season.

Keeping the faith.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: Major surgery to the squad

Postby Binghamstag » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Well bishop is already signed up
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Sun May 12, 2019 8:35 pm

We have the best defence in the league. We should be in a position to keep it for next season (& possibly add Turner and a back up full back).

The midfield and attack will need some rebuilding. Especially the attack. Thats where we lost out on promotion.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 pm

I don't think there will be a major change. Smith, Grant, Ajose and Jones will probably all go. I'd like to think we will try to either sign Walker or get him on another loan.

Keep the defence solid, add another quality midfielder and 2 or 3 forwards
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Wil0211 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm

ParisStag wrote:I don't think there will be a major change. Smith, Grant, Ajose and Jones will probably all go. I'd like to think we will try to either sign Walker or get him on another loan.

No chance will we keep Walker in any capacity. Maybe if we got promoted but he will be playing higher than league 2 next season.
Wil0211
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Major surgery to the management?

I want him here next season, but what can he do next season to prove he won’t choke like he did last season and this when it mattered?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 pm

adamstag wrote:Major surgery to the management?

Let it go, you monotonous whinger.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 pm

ParisStag wrote:I don't think there will be a major change. Smith, Grant, Ajose and Jones will probably all go. I'd like to think we will try to either sign Walker or get him on another loan.

Neither do I. Major changes wouldn't be good and would set us backwards. Just a little tinkering here and there will do.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Major surgery to the management?

Let it go, you monotonous whinger.

get a grip, you monotonous bore

See you didn’t quote the rest of my post did you?
Last edited by adamstag on Sun May 12, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 12, 2019 8:53 pm

HU7stag wrote:

Neither do I. Major changes wouldn't be good and would set us backwards. Just a little tinkering here and there will do.

Midfield needs work and we must, must, must sign Turner. Go big bucks on a couple of strikers. No excuses for DF next season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun May 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Need players that turn up for more than 45 mins. MK and today
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun May 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Wholesale hopefully won't happen. We need 5/6 changes to the squad and that's it. If Bish has another year in him we could see 9 of the team we could have now, injuries allowing...

White, Davies, Khan all to come back next season. Defence and Keeper is sorted. Keep Mellis, CJ, Tommo, Macca...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Jamie wrote:Wholesale hopefully won't happen. We need 5/6 changes to the squad and that's it. If Bish has another year in him we could see 9 of the team we could have now, injuries allowing...

White, Davies, Khan all to come back next season. Defence and Keeper is sorted. Keep Mellis, CJ, Tommo, Macca...

You’ve seen CJ’s last game for the club IMO. Maybe Benning and Pearce as well. Sweeney will have attracted interest.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 pm

We need to somehow replace a 20+ striker and improve the midfield.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun May 12, 2019 9:41 pm

We won't have any choice other than a major rebuild.

CJ and Pearce will go, hopefully for big fees, the loanees will go and we need 3 or 4 strikers. Benning and Sweeney may also leave if others come sniffing.

Rose and MacDonald aren't good enough except for back ups and Atkinson will also probably leave.

If that's not a major rebuild I don't know what is.
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Sun May 12, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Anderson has gone I think.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 pm

The defence is good but when we play 5 at the back every single game without fail its most likely going to be. Would prefer us to play a formation where we actually look moderately exciting next season please. Be ok though because Flitcroft can use the Evans money on some more top signings like Grant Ajose or Tomlinson!
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Those minutes played by Atkinson today makes you wonder why he wasn't starting ahead of Tomlinson, who has been like a rabbit in the headlights since the pressure cranked up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 12, 2019 10:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Those minutes played by Atkinson today makes you wonder why he wasn't starting ahead of Tomlinson, who has been like a rabbit in the headlights since the pressure cranked up.

absolutely, I don't think Tomlinson can handle the pressure yet. I'm sure since we signed him this is his first venture into proper football. Atkinson has buckets of experience and while not being the most talented he bloody tries

not sure what will happen to the team, think CJ will go. I hope we can keep the defence because it's been the best in the league. midfield and attack need looking at
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Those minutes played by Atkinson today makes you wonder why he wasn't starting ahead of Tomlinson, who has been like a rabbit in the headlights since the pressure cranked up.

This is where he hasn't been brave enough, Atkinson brought the ball down and looked for a pass, whereas he reverted to the 'workhorses' for run in with no footballing ability or football brain.
Tomlinson saw it as a hot potato and Mac a did his usual hook it or chip it into space and hope we get on it.

Lack of bravery or bottled it, is it the same???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 am

Unfortunately I can see having to make pretty big changes to the squad. On the face of it we don’t need much but we could well lose a few that we don’t want to. This is why I don’t get the ‘and then what?’ argument people have in response to people wanting a change of manager. Anybody will have to bring in a new influx of players, it won’t be DF just tweaking the squad..

Players that could well not be here next season off the top of my head;

Walker
CJ
Grant
Jones
Atkinson
Rose
Benning (team of the year, will have plenty of L1 interest so wouldn’t be surprised if he went)
Pearce - same as Benning
Mellis
Smith
Ajose
Logan?
Davies?

If Pearce and Benning do go that’s 4 of our most key players with Walker and Hamilton that we have to replace properly before we even think about making the team stronger. It’s a huge summer coming up.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon May 13, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 am

BH_Stag wrote:Sorry but there will be big changes to the squad whether people think there should be or not. This is why I don’t get the ‘and then what?’ argument people have in response to people wanting a change of manager. Anybody will have to bring in a new influx of players, it won’t be DF just tweaking the squad..

Players that (probably) won’t be here next season off the top of my head;

Walker
CJ
Grant
Jones
Atkinson
Rose
Benning (team of the year, will have plenty of L1 interest so wouldn’t be surprised if he went)
Pearce - same as Benning
Mellis
Smith
Ajose
Logan?
Davies?

If Pearce and Benning do go that’s 4 of our most key players with Walker and Hamilton that we have to replace properly before we even think about making the team stronger. It’s a huge summer coming up.

Lots of presumption there??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Sorry but there will be big changes to the squad whether people think there should be or not. This is why I don’t get the ‘and then what?’ argument people have in response to people wanting a change of manager. Anybody will have to bring in a new influx of players, it won’t be DF just tweaking the squad..

Walker
CJ
Grant
Jones
Atkinson
Rose
Pearce - same as Benning
Mellis
Smith
Ajose
Logan?
Davies?

Perhaps put across a little strongly reading back, but the only ones I’m presuming on really are Pearce and Benning. They’ve spent 4 seasons each here now, have made team of the season, performed consistently at this level for years now. I don’t think it’s much of a leap to consider the possibility there will be plenty of league one interest in them. I would obviously love them to stay.

Other than possibly Mellis, is there anybody on that list you think will still be here?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon May 13, 2019 7:25 am

Benning and CJ are the only ones who might attract interest, IMO. The Chef wont go sit on the bench in L1.

Continuity is key and we'll keep most of this team together IMO, once the loan players have gone of course.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Walker
CJ
Grant
Jones
Atkinson
Rose
Pearce - same as Benning
Mellis
Smith
Ajose
Logan?
Davies?

Perhaps put across a little strongly reading back, but the only ones I’m presuming on really are Pearce and Benning. They’ve spent 4 seasons each here now, have made team of the season, performed consistently at this level for years now. I don’t think it’s much of a leap to consider the possibility there will be plenty of league one interest in them. I would obviously love them to stay.

Other than possibly Mellis, is there anybody on that list you think will still be here?

Davies and Logan could both be here.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum