{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ben Turner

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Ben Turner

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am

I'd play him again in the home game as Newport's direct style plays to his strengths. He's also had two good games on the trot.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'd play him again in the home game as Newport's direct style plays to his strengths. He's also had two good games on the trot.

Sign him up for next season.

with a decent pre-season behind him, he'll be awesome.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:If Preston is fit he's in, he's terrific. But Turner has to start so either Preaton or Sweeney at right back ahead of Jones.

Why go back to playing players out of position? Also why would we play a left footed centre back at right wing back?

Preston and Sweeney are both comfortable at right back and for me better than Jones.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am

I wouldn’t play 4 centre backs, but would prefer Atkinson over Jones who was poor last night, not sure what he’s supposed to be good at, but we need some attacking threat on the right flank from a wing back
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 am

northern stag wrote:I wouldn’t play 4 centre backs, but would prefer Atkinson over Jones who was poor last night, not sure what he’s supposed to be good at, but we need some attacking threat on the right flank from a wing back

jones had a couple of mis placed passes, but he worked his socks off last night. He was up and down, defended well and got stuck in.

I think he played one of his better games for us
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:22 am

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:If Preston is fit he's in, he's terrific. But Turner has to start so either Preaton or Sweeney at right back ahead of Jones.

Why go back to playing players out of position? Also why would we play a left footed centre back at right wing back?

Preston and Sweeney are both comfortable at right back and for me better than Jones.

Again, why would a left footed player who has only ever played CB be a good fit for right wing back.

We've not seen either play play for a decent amount of time and declaring them better than our current RWB just because you don't rate Jones is perplexing. People complain about DF shoehorning players into the side and then we get a suggestion like that!

In my opinion the pecking order for RWB is: White, Jones, CJ, Atkinson.

I don't think Jones is as bad as many make out. I'd still rather have a fully fit Hayden White but is a more than capable stand in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 am

I think Jones is exactly as bad as everyone says in my own opinion.

Yes he is workmanlike and a team player but he offers NO attacking threat and his delivery of any final ball is abysmal and almost always goes to a defender,

So many times move die with him at RWB as he stops and passes it inside or back therefore he removes any threat down the right.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Fri May 10, 2019 9:34 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Again, why would a left footed player who has only ever played CB be a good fit for right wing back.

We've not seen either play play for a decent amount of time and declaring them better than our current RWB just because you don't rate Jones is perplexing. People complain about DF shoehorning players into the side and then we get a suggestion like that!

I don't think Jones is as bad as many make out. I'd still rather have a fully fit Hayden White but is a more than capable stand in.

Preston played right back at Swindon. Jones is Ok but against a side whose only threat is the long ball, Preston would be much better than Jones. I do think DF will stick with Jones, but I don't think we'll be signing him for next season. It's pretty simple really, surprised you don't get it :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:35 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:I think Jones is exactly as bad as everyone says in my own opinion.

Yes he is workmanlike and a team player but he offers NO attacking threat and his delivery of any final ball is abysmal and almost always goes to a defender,

So many times move die with him at RWB as he stops and passes it inside or back therefore he removes any threat down the right.

do you ever have owt good to say?

I thought he did well, okay his final ball wasn't amazing but he wouldn't be in league two if every cross resulted in a goal
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 am

I thought this was about opinions......yes he did have an "ok" game as you say ....my interpretation is workmanlike but youve equally said his final ball is poor which is what I said.......he is a defensive player at heart a job which he does well but I was stating that as an attacking threat he nullifies our right hand side.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 am

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Preston played right back at Swindon. Jones is Ok but against a side whose only threat is the long ball, Preston would be much better than Jones. I do think DF will stick with Jones, but I don't think we'll be signing him for next season. It's pretty simple really, surprised you don't get it :lol:

Right, Preston has played RB for us, but he isn't a left footed player. Sweeney is, you insinuated we should play sweeney at RWB. Sweeney is left footed. You're surprised I don't get it? I'm surprised that when I mention the left footed centre half, who you think would be an option at RWB, you go on about Preston. It's pretty simple really :roll:

What have you seen in Preston's games to think he would have any more of an attacking threat down the right?

Jones has got himself into good positions and some would argue deserved a goal or 2, bar a couple of good saves.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 10, 2019 10:28 am

There is no way in this earth Sweeney can play RWB. He played RCB for half a game and couldn’t cope with that, and was swapped to LCB at half time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:There is no way in this earth Sweeney can play RWB. He played RCB for half a game and couldn’t cope with that, and was swapped to LCB at half time.

my thoughts too. some folk on here moan about putting square pegs in round holes then they want centre backs at wing back! unbelievable jeff
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri May 10, 2019 10:57 am

Rob just made himself look a little silly there ain't he...
Backtracked quicker than an Italian tank.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri May 10, 2019 11:24 am

Why would you play a left sided centre back at right back? Ryan Sweeney started on the right side of the back three against Cheltenham at home and struggled.

I thought Gethin Jones had a decent game last night and was a solid 7 out of 10. He battled hard.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Fri May 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Wow, simply wow ! That is just quality. How does it go Rob - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:12 pm

The next Chief Chief Chief maybe
Top man Ben
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri May 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Sweeney is terrible on the right side as proved by one half of football earlier in the season. Can’t see how Jones has warranted such a beating!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat May 11, 2019 6:39 am

Anybody heard how Mirfin has been doing?

He's been fans player of the season at every club he's been at, and was starting to show that kind of form for us before his injury.

I fully expect Flitcroft will release him though, I expect he's on a wedge.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat May 11, 2019 8:16 am

stagmanrob wrote:Anybody heard how Mirfin has been doing?

He's been fans player of the season at every club he's been at, and was starting to show that kind of form for us before his injury.

I fully expect Flitcroft will release him though, I expect he's on a wedge.

He won their player of the month award the first month he was at York, then had that horrific facial injury but was playing again within a few weeks. His arrival coincided with the teams upturn in form which took them clear of the drop zone.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:01 am

Mirfin is a good player. I rated him highly when he played. However after having to pretty much learn to walk again and being mid 30s many will write him off. I'm not saying he's not good enough but with our style I don't it suits him (could be wrong of course, we play differently under Flitcroft than we did under Evans) and as such I can see him being released.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 am

I would guess Turner and Mirfin are currently on similar wages. If it's one or the other then I'd rather have Turner.

It might be a bit ruthless towards the current back three but a fully fit Turner might end up being first choice next year
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Sat May 11, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 am

Turner has been excellent over the last two games - and deserves to keep his place.

Jones isn't as bad as some people make out - he seems to be more of a right back than a wing back. That said, Jorge Grant isn't as bad as some people make out (I still think he could produce that bit of magic to get us promoted). And whilst we are on the subject of players who have been heavily criticised, well done to Conrad Logan who has turned in some good performances lately.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat May 11, 2019 10:08 am

Sweeney or Preston at RWB makes absolutely no sense to me. They are not even nearly the profile of player needed to perform that role. Everyone can have shouts on Gethin Jones (who in my opinion is toss) but putting a CB at RWB is simply not the answer. Jones got into some great attacking areas on Thursday night. No ones telling me Sweeney and Preston are capable of doing the same.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat May 11, 2019 10:52 am

I’d stick Sweeney in the forward line alongside Walker
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum