{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Beach

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Beach

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 04, 2019 4:51 am

Admiral Sir John Radford walked slowly to the balustrade that surrounded the veranda and gripped it so tightly his fingers began to hurt. His brow was furrowed and his mind whirled with worry as he stared into the gardens surrounding Radford Towers seeing nothing as his mind was focussed on just one thing.
The reports from the beach had been sketchy and disappointing,

Unexpected resistance, pinned down, heavy casualties, no plan B, support troops diverted to other areas.

His heart sank still further and he sighed deeply, he felt as if the World was on his shoulders.
The Lady Carolyn stood at the entrance to the French windows behind Sir John surrounded by her little boys and she watched her man and felt his turmoil as if it was her own. She knew as he that there was nothing they could do now but wait.
She knelt and whispered to the boys and they ran to their father and threw their arms around his legs as she returned to the dining room.
'Daddy, daddy come back inside, Mummy says it's time for tea' they chirped.
Sir John knelt to embrace his boys and his mood lightened, he smiled at Hugo his eldest saying, 'what's for dessert little man?'

'Mummy says it's ice cream covered with lashings and lashings of lime green jelly, oh do come on Daddy we're all hungry' and they laughed as they ran back into the house.

Radford stood and turned once again to look towards the horizon and whispered to himself, 'it's up to you now David'.
Slowly he walked back inside and sat at the dining table picked up his glass and stared at Carolyn.
'It's gonna be tough my love'.
'I know' she replied.
Hugo sensed their mutual concern and went and kissed them both hushing his siblings as they eagerly tucked into their food.
'Colonel David and the boys can do it, they can, they must' he said tears beginning to form in the corner of his eyes.

'Let's all hope so Hugo eh! For if they do so never in the field of human conflict will so much be owed to so few', and he lifted his glass.
'A toast to the boys on the beach'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: The Beach

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat May 04, 2019 5:03 am

Very good 'tater, you had me at Lime Green Jelly :lol:

Or to more or less paraphrase Russell Crowe.....

"Hold the line, stay with me!"

Today is a day for Gladiators .

Have a good safe day everyone, let's shout our team to League 1 :mtfc:
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby west country stag » Sat May 04, 2019 6:36 am

Well put matey !!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat May 04, 2019 6:44 am

It’s an Omen i tell yer!!!!!

the good ship Stag captains log is only opened when we win

an unexpected surprise this morning didn’t know we were getting a new instalment lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat May 04, 2019 6:54 am

Glad to see our intrepid reporter is still with us. Let us hope that the final report will be this afternoon for a great victory
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 am

Brilliant, just brilliant, these reports have been missed for far too long.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby manssmooth » Sat May 04, 2019 7:18 am

Missed these Tater, nice one :thumbup: :mansfield_till_i_die:
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat May 04, 2019 7:26 am

History is written by the victors.
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 04, 2019 8:36 am

I shal be going in with the 2nd wave support troops, I've a spare bangalore for the Colonel's boys pinned against the sea wall. We're all in the 2nd wave Higgins boats, all of us . We must not shirk our duty at the first sign of a shell, give it everything you've got boys and girls, see you on the beach at 3pm sharp eh!!
Last edited by Spiritater on Sat May 11, 2019 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am

Fitzy499 wrote:History is written by the victors.

“I don’t believe it!”

Victor (Meldrew)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Admiral Sir John Radford walked down the landing craft's ramp and waded into the waist deep water holding his Bren Gun aloft to keep it dry. The water was cold and it took his breath away and he noticed the hint of red in the water, 'blood'? he thought to himself.
The scene before him was one of absolute carnage, as far as the eye could see it was one of utter destruction and total despair.
Tanks, lorries, jeeps, artillery guns of the 2nd wave lay in a tangle of wreckage along the beach. Supports troops huddled behind what cover they could find as the shells and bullets pinned them at the waters edge, to move wasn't an option as they'd no where to go.

'What's wrong'? he hollered across to one of men from the 2nd Wave.
'Sir, the Colonel's boys are still pinned down at the sea wall, every time one of them pokes his head over it they're getting blown to bits, we can't get off the beach till they take out some enemy, and at the moment they just aren't'.

Radford crouched behind a Belgian Gate for protection as machine gun bullets zipped and zinged close to him.
'I'll have to make a run for it', he thought.
His Bren Gun and wet clothes weighed heavily on him as he dashed zig zagging through the wet sand, and gasping threw himself down behind the sea wall next to Colonel Flitcroft and Major Butcher.
Flitcroft did not realise at first who'd come from the waters edge risking life and limb to the small sanctuary of the sea wall and when it dawned on him it was the Admiral himself he quickly saluted.
'So what in Hell's the problem Colonel, are you gonna stay here forever, or are you gonna show some spunk and start kicking some butt. Do you have a plan? Radford shouted above the din
The Colonel replied, 'I've tried to galvanize the boys Sir believe me, and I told them to keep lobbing grenades at the enemy but they keep on falling short. I tried sending Private Hamilton to get round the back of them but when he got there he found he'd left all his ammunition and weapons behind so he came back achieving nothing. And some of the boys just don't want to move'.

'Well I'll tell you what Colonel', growled Radford 'That bunker up to your left is the Newport bunker. You get some of your best men and strike clucking hard and clucking fast and kick their sorry asses else most of us are gonna die here and now. Get the plan right Colonel and make sure if you send Hamilton he takes ammo for himself and the boys or we're doomed'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Excellent Spiritater! I do enjoy these! :)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Tue May 07, 2019 5:05 am

Awesome. Where's Gunner Green when you need him
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 07, 2019 6:30 am

Bros wrote:Awesome. Where's Gunner Green when you need him

Apparently he jumped from a ship that was on the crest of a wave as he'd been peeling spuds in t'galley for too long. Rumour has it he's going to be fighting against us next year if the Colonel and the boys can't take that bunker soon.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 am

Spiritater wrote:

Apparently he jumped from a ship that was on the crest of a wave as he'd been peeling spuds in t'galley for too long. Rumour has it he's going to be fighting against us next year if the Colonel and the boys can't take that bunker soon.

Er..... Do you grow your own?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 07, 2019 6:44 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Eh?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue May 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Players played on Saturday like they were already on the beach.
They will be on Thursday —-Rodney Parade Beach !
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Spiritater wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Eh?

....in the loft?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

"Where's Daddy gone Mummy"? said Hugo as he sat close to his mother in the garden watching his brothers pretending to be Spitfires on the lawn.
'He's gone to the beach to help the Colonel and the boys try and somehow claw their way off it, and get one of the draws opened up so the support troops can safely start moving inland. He cares you see darling, he's a good man, a strong man, and since he found out the landing had begun to falter he had to go and do his bit to help in our hour of need. I wouldn't have expected him to do anything else', replied Lady Carolyn as she looked to the horizon.
'He'll come home though won't he Mummy'? whispered a worried looking Hugo.
'He'll be back, they're going to do it my darling', said Carolyn crossing her fingers.

She stood and kissed her palm and blew it to the wind towards the horizon. Hugo copied his mother and did the same, 'For you Daddy, come back safe', he thought to himself.

"COVERING FIRE"!! shouted the Colonel as four fast lads broke from the cover of the sea wall and ran at speed in the direction of the Newport bunker, and we blasted away with everything we'd got. Private Walker was the first to go down, tripped by a man dressed in all black who'd been in an unseen foxhole waiting, and he went sprawling into the shingle.
The three others, McDonald, Mellis and Hamilton raced on though undaunted and quickly traversed the 'death zone' made safe by the fusillade from the covering troops for a brief moment.
'The door, get the door CJ', wheezed Mellis as all three flopped panting close to the bunkers steel door entrance. Hamilton lifted his bazooka and let loose blowing the door ajar.
'C'mon boys we're in I reckon', bawled McDonald and they rushed to put their shoulders against the door to open it further, but aided by the man in black the defenders pushed from the other side and it seemed who was strongest would win.
'Grenades, pass me a grenade' screamed Private Mellis to Hamilton. 'You've brought them with you, haven't you'?......
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 am

I really hope there is a Part Two later!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sun May 12, 2019 10:54 am

The Lady Carolyn bit brought a tear to my eye or it might have been the onion I was peeling
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 am

Brilliant! The references to the 'man in black' twice helping the enemy made me chuckle!

I think corporal Logan will feature very heavily in this part of the battle - especially if it goes to penalties .... and that could open the way for an unlikely hero/villain: Eyes closed and bated breath for when captain Pearce, sergeant Sweeney or private Grant are asked to deliver the final shot! Lets hope we destroy the bunker completely and it doesn't come to that.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm

.... 'Errrr no, Walker's got em all. I've just brought my machine gun and the bazooka with one round but didn't bring anymore ammo for it as I didn't want to be weighed down by all that unnecessary heavy stuff' said Hamilton with a smile.
Mellis put his head in his hands, 'God give me strength'.

Walker staggered slowly up to the door after his fall. He coughed, 'well done boys are we nearly in'? seeing the other three valiantly pushing at the door.
'We need a grenade to push through the gap and blow them on the other side to Kingdom come. Have you got them, Hamilton say's you have', gasped McDonald.
'No, I dropped em all when I got tripped' answered Walker.
With that the pressure from inside increased and the door slowly was pushed shut, then came the clanking sound of five bolts being slammed across inside the door.
The four fell back to the seawall and looked despairingly at the Colonel and Radford, 'Couldn't get through Sir'.

Radford turned at looked out to sea, 'It'll be a long swim back to the ships lads, it's over. Airborne assault next year I think Colonel or will it be A BRIDGE TOO FAR'?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum