{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A worrying thought...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

A worrying thought...

Postby stagmanrob » Sat May 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Not over until it's over really, but on our current form and the crap we keep churning out, there's no way we look like succeeding in the playoffs.

Now...a certain team last season failed in the playoffs, got carried away and chucked a load of money at it so that they wouldn't have to suffer the heartache of the playoff lottery again. That side had a massive downturn in form and performances themselves to end up in the playoffs,after largely looking like automatic promotion candidates all season too.
They made too many personnel changes and chucked money at it, but their absymal performances and form carried on into the next season regardless.
They were relegated today.

Are we in danger of doing the same if we fail in the playoffs, yet persevere with DF and give him backing next season? His January recruitment has left a lot to be desired, not sure if I trust him if we had to do an expensive overhaul?

Now I'm not saying we're likely to do a full on County and get relegated, but there is a huge danger of disappointment and bad recruitment setting us two or three steps back, rather than one step forwards. We need to buck our ideas up in these playoffs.
Already looking at today's relegated sides from League One, they'll more than likely be straight up near the top competing next season given their club size and history of yo-yoing between the two divisions. I think if we don't do it, next season will be much tougher as a League 2 side.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: A worrying thought...

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 04, 2019 11:43 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Not over until it's over really, but on our current form and the crap we keep churning out, there's no way we look like succeeding in the playoffs.

Now...a certain team last season failed in the playoffs, got carried away and chucked a load of money at it so that they wouldn't have to suffer the heartache of the playoff lottery again. That side had a massive downturn in form and performances themselves to end up in the playoffs,after largely looking like automatic promotion candidates all season too.
They made too many personnel changes and chucked money at it, but their absymal performances and form carried on into the next season regardless.

Are we in danger of doing the same if we fail in the playoffs, yet persevere with DF and give him backing next season? His January recruitment has left a lot to be desired, not sure if I trust him if we had to do an expensive overhaul?

Now I'm not saying we're likely to do a full on County and get relegated, but there is a huge danger of disappointment and bad recruitment setting us two or three steps back, rather than one step forwards. We need to buck our ideas up in these playoffs.
Already looking at today's relegated sides from League One, they'll more than likely be straight up near the top competing next season given their club size and history of yo-yoing between the two divisions. I think if we don't do it, next season will be much tougher as a League 2 side.

County panicked and sacked their manager, very early on in the season. The previous season the manager they sacked almost got them promoted. Maybe that's why they were relegated.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat May 04, 2019 11:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Not over until it's over really, but on our current form and the crap we keep churning out, there's no way we look like succeeding in the playoffs.

County panicked and sacked their manager, very early on in the season. The previous season the manager they sacked almost got them promoted. Maybe that's why they were relegated.

Look at their form that left them in the playoffs after being automatic promotion dead certs. That form carried on into the following season even though they spent big on the likes of Hemmings and Dennis. At the moment our form is very much like theirs was.
There is a similarity that does not need repeating. I hope if we do fluff it up (which looks more and more likely every game we play) Radford doesn't allow the idiocy that Egg Head did with Nolan.
At least Flitcroft doesn't love his ale too much though. That also never helped Nolan.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 05, 2019 5:58 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Look at their form that left them in the playoffs after being automatic promotion dead certs. That form carried on into the following season even though they spent big on the likes of Hemmings and Dennis. At the moment our form is very much like theirs was.
There is a similarity that does not need repeating. I hope if we do fluff it up (which looks more and more likely every game we play) Radford doesn't allow the idiocy that Egg Head did with Nolan.
At least Flitcroft doesn't love his ale too much though. That also never helped Nolan.

We would be stupid to sack the manager after finishing fourth this season.

We would be going back to square one. It would take at least two seasons to mount another serious promotion bid.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Sun May 05, 2019 6:02 am

I do think it's a high probability that we'd have a poor season, a lot of teams seem to have a seasons malaise after failing in the play-offs.
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 6:10 am

Amber Andy wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We would be going back to square one. It would take at least two seasons to mount another serious promotion bid.

I don't buy that Andy.

Even if DF stays there will be some serious reconstruction of the squad required next season, especially in the forward line.

I'm not sure who is in or out of contract either. Every season sees 8/9 in or out, if it's DF or AN Other doing it won't make any odds really JR will back them.

The training regime & management bolloxspeak will change thouhh and that is less disruptive in the summer I'd have thought.

The Radfords are no mugs and IF the think DF is on thin ice they would already be sounding out potential replacements.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun May 05, 2019 6:18 am

Didn't Lincoln fail in the play offs. Year after Champions. Anything can happen and suggesting we'll do a County now is just more negative drivel.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 05, 2019 6:19 am

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I don't buy that Andy.

Even if DF stays there will be some serious reconstruction of the squad required next season, especially in the forward line.

I'm not sure who is in or out of contract either. Every season sees 8/9 in or out, if it's DF or AN Other doing it won't make any odds really JR will back them.

The training regime & management bolloxspeak will change thouhh and that is less disruptive in the summer I'd have thought.

The Radfords are no mugs and IF the think DF is on thin ice they would already be sounding out potential replacements.
I think some of us are in danger of becoming like Notts County fans, in that we think we have a right to be in league1 because of a having "the biggest budget". Anyone who knows about football realises a big budget doesn't guarantee success. It just gives you a better chance of success. Did Lincoln sack the Cowley's when they failed last season ? To sack a manager who achieved fourth place would be crazy.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun May 05, 2019 6:28 am

We just have to look at the play offs as a second chance ,instead of dreading them ,so much negativity on here ,were a 4th division club atm ,thats why we have troughs and peaks we might still be promoted we can't fear any of the others really lets go for it :coys:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun May 05, 2019 6:33 am

A big difference between Lincoln and the Cowley's, and Notts and Nolan, was that Notts fans started the following season on Nolan's back straight away, whereas Lincoln didn't with the Cowley's as they had built a decent rapport already with them after cup runs, a Conference League win, and a playoff semi appearance in 3 years.
If we gooseberry the playoffs up, I feel more will start off against him rather than be with him.
It's not negative drivel Jamie, it's just stating what seems to me to be more likely than not.
I'm not exactly Mystic Meg by any means, I'm not saying sack him either....I just know how most Stags fans are, and the apathy and negativity of a no-show in the playoffs will definitely carry over into next season. We all know it will.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 6:45 am

AA you're not comparing like with like, for Lincoln just to reach the play offs last season was a massive acheivment in their first season back in the league, losing was disapointing for them, but just getting there maintained that forward momentum.

Last season we looked nailed on for the play offs & finished 8th, by any measure a failure. This season we've dropped into the play off spots after being top 3 for a large chunk of the season. If we don't go up that will be a failure given the circumstances.

Budgets don't guarentee success it's true, but they tip the game in your favour, and if you are the one stumping up the cash you'd expect a return on your investment.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 05, 2019 6:52 am

Sneag wrote:AA you're not comparing like with like, for Lincoln just to reach the play offs last season was a massive acheivment in their first season back in the league, losing was disapointing for them, but just getting there maintained that forward momentum.

Last season we looked nailed on for the play offs & finished 8th, by any measure a failure. This season we've dropped into the play off spots after being top 3 for a large chunk of the season. If we don't go up that will be a failure given the circumstances.

Budgets don't guarentee success it's true, but they tip the game in your favour, and if you are the one stumping up the cash you'd expect a return on your investment.

So we've improved on last season by for places. DF has made mistakes, of course he has. The biggest was not bringing in a striker with presence to replace the injured Davies. He will have learnt from that. We are so close this season he deserves another go.

I think the recent run of bad results is that the players can't handle the pressure. And it's not just the younger ones like CJ, but some of the experienced ones have been below par in the last few games.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun May 05, 2019 6:59 am

If you are comparing last season to this just remember that the first game of last season saw a score line of Coventry City 3-0 Notts County.

These two teams meet in the play offs, Coventry won and then won again at Wembley.

This season our first game of season was Mansfield 3-0 Newport, and look who we play in the play offs.

Don’t lose the faith, come on you stags.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 7:12 am

part time pete wrote:If you are comparing last season to this just remember that the first game of last season saw a score line of Coventry City 3-0 Notts County.

These two teams meet in the play offs, Coventry won and then won again at Wembley.

This season our first game of season was Mansfield 3-0 Newport, and look who we play in the play offs.

I like you thinking Pete. :D
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun May 05, 2019 7:19 am

stagmanrob wrote:It's not negative drivel Jamie, it's just stating what seems to me to be more likely than not.

So because it happened to them you now think it's more likely than not to happen to us. If that isn't negative drivel I don't know what is. There are tons of examples of teams pushing on again after getting close.

While your at it though why not go with:
- ST sales down to 1200 because fans are sick of the failure.
- The Radfords also sick of failure put the club up for sale.
- You've already covered a nailed on relegation.
- All our best players demand to leave.
- They close the QLE due to low numbers.
- Sammy the Stag found hanging pre season in the WSU toilets.

Seriously... where does all this crap end? County were toxic for a number of reasons, just like the raspberry. Our situation is nothing like theirs. Our owner isn't a bellwhiff for a start.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:AA you're not comparing like with like, for Lincoln just to reach the play offs last season was a massive acheivment in their first season back in the league, losing was disapointing for them, but just getting there maintained that forward momentum.

So we've improved on last season by for places. DF has made mistakes, of course he has. The biggest was not bringing in a striker with presence to replace the injured Davies. He will have learnt from that. We are so close this season he deserves another go.

I think the recent run of bad results is that the players can't handle the pressure. And it's not just the younger ones like CJ, but some of the experienced ones have been below par in the last few games.

IF we win at Wembley he's succeeded, anything else is a failure. It's 'project promotion' remember.

He doesn't learn from mistakes he just repeats them.

Is that the players can't handle pressure or is the training regime leaving them running on empty? I don't know but certainly in the second half of the season we've looked jaded. The game yesterday was a high pressure game and maybe Stevenage, but a lot of our post christmas no shows have been very bog standard league games that should have been comfortable for a serious promotion contender.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 am

Jamie wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:It's not negative drivel Jamie, it's just stating what seems to me to be more likely than not.

So because it happened to them you now think it's more likely than not to happen to us. If that isn't negative drivel I don't know what is. There are tons of examples of teams pushing on again after getting close.

Seriously... where does all this crap end? County were toxic for a number of reasons, just like the raspberry. Our situation is nothing like theirs. Our owner isn't a bellwhiff for a start.

Correct Jamie, County have been a basket case club for years and this season was inevitable at some point. Last season was a massive fluke for them.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun May 05, 2019 7:41 am

Let's think Lincoln rather than Notts, eh? Flitcroft clearly has some weaknesses, but so will any successor. At least he appears hard working, honest and capable even if far from a genius.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 am

Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:If you are comparing last season to this just remember that the first game of last season saw a score line of Coventry City 3-0 Notts County.

I like you thinking Pete. :D

If Carlsberg did playoffs eh!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 am

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

IF we win at Wembley he's succeeded, anything else is a failure. It's 'project promotion' remember.

Is that the players can't handle pressure or is the training regime leaving them running on empty? I don't know but certainly in the second half of the season we've looked jaded. The game yesterday was a high pressure game and maybe Stevenage, but a lot of our post christmas no shows have been very bog standard league games that should have been comfortable for a serious promotion contender.

The playoffs are a lottery. So I don't get the logic that if we win promotion DF should stay and if we don't he should go.

Does it make him a better or worse manager based on three games that are the playoffs ? Of course it doesn't.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 am

Stop posting common sense Andy, it is not understood or appreciated.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 05, 2019 8:26 am

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Stop posting common sense Andy, it is not understood or appreciated.

Time to take your advice, my friend :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun May 05, 2019 9:22 am

Jamie wrote:

You are a prime example of twisting stuff to make read what you want into it. Biggest waffler on here. Like another luke back from the dead (again)
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

The playoffs are a lottery. So I don't get the logic that if we win promotion DF should stay and if we don't he should go.

Does it make him a better or worse manager based on three games that are the playoffs ? Of course it doesn't.

We shouldn't be in the playoffs, that's the issue. If he succeeds in them, he's got away with ineptness. If he were to get us up, no way would this lot survive in League One. Looking at the calibre of those 4 who are coming down, we are miles off even those 4.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 am

I assume you have been watching all of those four teams on a regular basis then Rob?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum