{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Flitcroft doubters

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 am

And I would add that Preston and Sweeney also have been great signings......but that again goes back to my roulette theory.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 03, 2019 6:22 am

i’ve a good idea, let’s park this thread till Saturday night !!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 am

What he did when he came in was managerial suicide, Evans was the biggest pear alive, but what he was doing was successful and had us in an extremely healthy league position. All he had to do for 12 games was keep things ticking over as they were, and I would have expected without the Evans beetroot-red screaming and bawling, the players would have had enough about them to get more than 12 points from 12 games and get us over the line. To come in and completely change everything, was just pure stupidity. We would have had to make big changes had we been promoted to League One anyway, and that would have been the time to do so with a good pre-season behind us...and I dare say players he wanted to offload would have been more desirable to other clubs if they had a recent promotion on their CV's too.
The first half of this season we looked nailed on to be promoted.
He's largely done a good job, but for me questions need to be asked about whether a lot of this bunch would be good enough at a level above if we make it or not, as clearly they don't like to perform in front of a crowd or under any sort of pressure, and don't have the ball hocks about them to get on the ball and play when the going gets tough. It's been largely a game of hot potato since the turn of the year, and nobody seems to be able to get to the bottom of why it has been like that.
We're quite lucky a lot of teams around us have been very similar though, and we're not completely out of it.
That probably goes a long way to prove the inconsistencies of League 2 players though, and again solidifies the point that a lot of them may not be good enough to make waves in the league above. I think the current lot would keep us in League One, but doubt they'd be little more above lower midtable unless they re-discover the football and confidence we showed in the first half of the season.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 am

I think any manager needs a couple of years before you can fully judge him and would only really make a change if things were obviously going wrong (as they were under Adam Murray). DF has been manager little over a year and this summer will finally be able to say he has fully his own squad, no longer tied down by Evans' deadweight. As I've said a few times, if we don't make it this season, he will have no excuses next season, he will be supported by JR and it will very much be top 3 or inevitably it will be time for change.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am

yorkshire stag wrote:i’ve a good idea, let’s park this thread till Saturday night !!

He should be given next season regardless.

However, failure to not go up this season would certainly be classed as a failure given the resources and our position in February (on the pitch).
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:Just wish people on here would just concentrate on getting behind the team on what is the first opportunity to achieve promotion to League 1 for 15 years. Leave the discussions on the managers future until the outcome of this season is known

I agree, it's amazing given we have not been in League 1 for 15 years that so many remain so negative about this season. I have genuinely enjoyed this season more than any in over a decade, yes we won the Conference, but by Christ was some of the footy ugly. This season, full of ups and downs, has seen us challenge from the outset and spend a very large part of the season in the top 3. At our best we play fast, attacking football and overall the standard is the highest it has been since Dearden's 01/02 side and Curle's inherited side of 04, which blew promotion when they really should have gone up automatically. I feel for those who have been unable to enjoy this season, for they are probably in for a lifetime of misery supporting the Stags!

It's not really about being negative though Rob.
The thread started with a provocative question to those who have been deemed to not support the manager, when on every thread the vast majority have been behind the team and DF.
Singling people out to be questioned was never going to end well for the OP.
As I have said before, speaking for myself I have supported DF for a good while and not given the bloke grief.
Many on that list have been everywhere this season supporting the team and, just because they had at some point, a different opinion they get their names published like a rogues gallery.

I've not kept a list, but I do think you have to live by what you put on social media, a painful lesson many racists are now learning. Clearly same applies here but obviously far, far more trivial, you slag off a manager who wins your team a promotion to League 1 for the first time in over 15 years then you absolutely deserve ridicule - and ridicule these short termists will get if we succeed on Saturday. They'd have followed the County line, sacked DF in Sep, sacked his successor in Nov and ended up relegated to the Conference in May, all this with a top 3 budget - unbelievable eh? David Vaughan is on 7k a week, I'll leave it at that, for now.

No matter what happens on Saturday, our manager has done a great job this season, we have some superb players who have been an absolute credit to our club and off field we are just in a different planet to where we were 10 years ago. It's a great time to be a Stags fan, someone ought to tell some on here!

Not only is he on £7k a week, but he was seen at Field Mill several days before he signed for County. The fact that Flitcroft decided not to sign him and brought in Bishop instead should be enough to end any discussion on whether he is a good manager or not. ;)

So by your theory good managers only make good/great signings and do not make mistakes.
Do you want a list of some of the dross Ferguson and Clough signed ?
Both must have been terrible managers because in HINDSIGHT far better players were available at the time. ;)
May I add that my views in no way weaken my support of our great club or while ever he is employed my continued support of Mr Flitcroft.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri May 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Rob wrote:I think any manager needs a couple of years before you can fully judge him and would only really make a change if things were obviously going wrong

Unless of course we're talking about Evan's who you hammered from day one, and every day since. So much for a couple of years to judge them ay Rob.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Fri May 03, 2019 3:13 pm

I miss the urgency and pressing that came with Evans' team. Being hated by every team was fun, it meant we were doing something right. I'd rather have the panto villain which is Evans than the nice-to-everyone Flitcroft. Obviously Evans is also a greedy unloyal man who I wouldn't want to live next door to, but I'd rather he were the man in charge tomorrow. Got to go now and search for my tin hat...
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Fri May 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Ultimately tomorrow is his time to show that he’s not a bottler - an accusation that holds weight given our performances in the big games.

Hopefully such an argument will be put to bed by teatime tomorrow
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri May 03, 2019 3:49 pm

It’s not his first job and he has had a promotion before .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri May 03, 2019 4:03 pm

daddycool wrote:It’s not his first job and he has had a promotion before .

yeah, scraped in third when play offs likely when at Bury
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 03, 2019 4:16 pm

part time pete wrote:
daddycool wrote:It’s not his first job and he has had a promotion before .

yeah, scraped in third when play offs likely when at Bury

a promotion is a promotion nevermind how you achieve it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri May 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Couldn’t give a toss what he’s done at bury I’m bothered what he’s done here.

Let’s hope he adds to that promotion
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 pm

Having to go out to pub tonight to take my mind off it a bit

then as soon as a walk in the pub Young Yorkie starts with a verse of “ on awayyyyyyy on our way “

the locals look a bit confused lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat May 04, 2019 5:33 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Having to go out to pub tonight to take my mind off it a bit

then as soon as a walk in the pub Young Yorkie starts with a verse of “ on awayyyyyyy on our way “

the locals look a bit confused lol

Had Josh had a skinfull?
Always thought it was,
'On our way ,
We're on our way ,
To League 1 we're on._. etc, etc.

You and Josh trappin ?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat May 04, 2019 5:39 am

old ram stag wrote:from number 5 on the list, I have never been convinced by flitcroft, and he has done nothing with a very good budget to change my mind, I also think he is a negative manager who has cost us points in games we have the opponents beat. But come sat I will give them my full support and we can all do a full analysis of the season come Sunday (hopefully) or June if not.

Well have to take note of your post - you do negative v well. I bet you just can’t wait until Saturday night

Coys
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat May 04, 2019 4:25 pm

One of the famed list here....

Kept my mouth shut until now, but here’s where I’m at...

Flitcroft couldn’t get his team up for a big game if his life depended on it. We’ve barely had a shot again. He bottled it last year, and he’s bottled it yet again this year. As for Thursday, forget it. I’ve gone to 21 out of 23 away games but I’m not booking a day off and spending a fortune again on travelling to wales to see us not have a f***ing shot!!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat May 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Each and every time he has a big game he fails to deliver.

Today he proved himself to be a bottler.

David flitcroft = choke
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat May 04, 2019 5:01 pm

scotsstag wrote:
geoffhill wrote:I personally think Flitcroft was dealt a bad hand when Evans left.He has proved that he is up to the job and Most supporters were too quick to judge him.All managers make mistakes but he has proved he knows what it takes to get a team promoted from this league.I would say that the majority of the people on the list will have changed their mind regarding Flitcroft.I also am certain all fans want us to get at least a point on Saturday and get automatic promotion.I do not fancy us in the play-offs although anyone can win in that situation.

If he has proved he can do the job and in addition also proved he knows what it takes to get a team promoted from this league why don't you fancy us in the play-offs? To date at Mansfield Town he's proved nothing.

Like I said on Wednesday at Stags he's proved nothing and STILL hasn't..
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat May 04, 2019 5:14 pm

I really don’t know how people can argue with the folk who are part of the ‘Flitcroft out’ lot. Regardless of what happens from now following the play offs, I can’t see why he should keep his job.

If we don't manage to go up then that’s that, flopped a second time, this occasion with the biggest budget in League 2. And if we do go up, is he who we trust with building a side capable of League 1? No.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun May 05, 2019 10:23 am

Geoff, since Saturday’s disappointing (to say the least) result there has been a considerable amount of ‘Flitcroft Doubting’ on Stagsnet. Any chance you could update your league table please?

Could you please state how the league table is constructed ie points per whinge, use of key phrases etc? For Old Ram Stag and Forest Town Stag were in a ‘heated debate’ yesterday as to why one was fifth and one was sixth.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon May 06, 2019 3:11 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Geoff, since Saturday’s disappointing (to say the least) result there has been a considerable amount of ‘Flitcroft Doubting’ on Stagsnet. Any chance you could update your league table please?

Could you please state how the league table is constructed ie points per whinge, use of key phrases etc? For Old Ram Stag and Forest Town Stag were in a ‘heated debate’ yesterday as to why one was fifth and one was sixth.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Come on Geoff, we are still waiting.....
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon May 06, 2019 3:42 pm

GEOFFS TABLE

Norman
Victor A block
Never easy
Wink 68
Old ram stag
Forest Town Stag
Farnie Stag
Chimney
Random Hero
Stagman Rob
Yorkshire Stag
Sneag
B H Stag
Adam Stag
Jamie
ABC
Mr Grimsdale
T M Wilson
Big Yella
Sedgwick
Stringy
Wardy 12345
Gruff
MTFC Missings

This is great. I've never been on a list before, and even better I'm sitting in an automatic promotion spot, something Flitcroft has royally ballsed up. Maybe if I select McDonald at right back for the next game, I can get a points deduction for being a total tool.

Geoff obviously has a massive amount of time on his hands...a fate likely to befall our actual manager soon if he doesn't get his act together.

Like Spartacus, I'd like more info on how its compiled...maybe next year we can have a running one over the season. Did we get extra points for waiting to be a doubter after over 60 league games, or is that too early?? Does failing to get 1 point form the 9 available in the last 3 games gain any bonus points?

Cheers Geoff, you win post of the season from me, no doubt about that.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 pm

victor A block wrote:GEOFFS TABLE

Norman
Victor A block
Never easy
Wink 68
Old ram stag
Forest Town Stag
Farnie Stag
Chimney
Random Hero
Stagman Rob
Yorkshire Stag
Sneag
B H Stag
Adam Stag
Jamie
ABC
Mr Grimsdale
T M Wilson
Big Yella
Sedgwick
Stringy
Wardy 12345
Gruff
MTFC Missings

This is great. I've never been on a list before, and even better I'm sitting in an automatic promotion spot, something Flitcroft has royally ballsed up. Maybe if I select McDonald at right back for the next game, I can get a points deduction for being a total tool.

Geoff obviously has a massive amount of time on his hands...a fate likely to befall our actual manager soon if he doesn't get his act together.

Like Spartacus, I'd like more info on how its compiled...maybe next year we can have a running one over the season. Did we get extra points for waiting to be a doubter after over 60 league games, or is that too early?? Does failing to get 1 point form the 9 available in the last 3 games gain any bonus points?

Cheers Geoff, you win post of the season from me, no doubt about that.

I can't believe I'm midtable. It's a travesty, I'll have to sack myself.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Mon May 06, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm in at seventh.... oh for that last season
I think this post was started with the intention of gloating and proving us all wrong. Well, that went well...
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum