{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bury FC Courtcase

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

2 Weeks Is A Long Time In Football

Postby Gruff » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:46 pm

This week Bury are in the High Court facing a winding up petition, owing £m's, and facing administration or even liquidation. I was trying to get ot the bottom of what brought this all on (apart from living beyond their means), and what "due diligence" had been missed, when I stumbled on this post (on their forum) from a couple of weeks ago..

https://www.gigglane.com/index.php?/topic/33722-promotion-season-comparison-stats/&tab=comments#comment-649767

Apparently they were planning on having a promotion party next week.... How things change....
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: 2 Weeks Is A Long Time In Football

Postby lifestags » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:50 pm

At the risk of sounding insensitive, is there a chance they could be deducted points?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:08 pm

lifestags wrote:At the risk of sounding insensitive, is there a chance they could be deducted points?

If they go into admin then yeah it's the standard 10 points.

At this course of the season any club entering administration after the fourth Thursday in March would have their 10-point deduction suspended until the following season. If the club is relegated the points will be deducted from their tally at the start of next season. If the club stays up the 10 points will be taken off their final total
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

lifestags wrote:At the risk of sounding insensitive, is there a chance they could be deducted points?

I'm not sure of the intricacies either, but it would certainly be a kick in the nadgers for us if they got promoted (and we didn't) and then started the League 1 campaign on -10 points.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby spanishstag » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Gruff wrote:

I'm not sure of the intricacies either, but it would certainly be a kick in the nadgers for us if they got promoted (and we didn't) and then started the League 1 campaign on -10 points.

They wont get promoted ,we WILL
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Gruff wrote:

They wont get promoted ,we WILL

:roll:

Two weeks ago we was planning what days to book off for play offs.

Glad your confident but it’s coming across as arrogant and is the kinda thing which normally comes and smacks you back in the mouth in a fortnights time.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:33 pm

I thought this was going to be about us rather than bury. The form we were in 2 weeks ago I was looking down the table for where we were going to finish. 2 wins in a row for us and 2 defeats in a row for Bury and things look very different.

There’s still time for it to all change again so as I keep saying we need to look after our own results and things will take care of themselves
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Just had a quick look at the forum, sounds pretty grim. Even if we don’t go up this season, thank god we have Sir John in charge.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Thought it was 12 pts now for admin. This late in the season the penalty points are only deducted this season if they have an affect on promotion or relegation.

So if a team is already relegated then points are deducted next season. If a team would have been promoted without the penalty then points are deducted this season so they can’t go up.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 am

No sympathy for Bury from me. Horrible set of fans
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:39 am

Bury's 1 from 9 and our 6 from 6 have turned things around. With 4 weeks left, there will be more twists and turns to come, rest assured.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Bury's 1 from 9 and our 6 from 6 have turned things around. With 4 weeks left, there will be more twists and turns to come, rest assured.

Very easily so, we’ve struggled away at teams down there, Northampton could be the next one. Folk would be expecting 4 points from that and Morecambe, but so would bury have expected at home to Swindon and Cambridge

If we do win though and one of the 3 below drop points it will look pretty decent.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Bury's 1 from 9 and our 6 from 6 have turned things around. With 4 weeks left, there will be more twists and turns to come, rest assured.

Bury have lost the last three (0 from 9) or (1 from 12)
I agree that there will be more twists and turns so 10 more points might be good enough.

Their form is LLLDWD (5 from 18), their only win was an injury time winner away at Stevenage.
Hope they continue this form to the end of the season.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm

If we repeat the games to play with the same score as earlier in the season we would win 3 and draw 2, +11 points which would see us on 83 points.

If Lincoln were to lose their next 5 we would be in with a chance of the title :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Seems, having a quick look at the Bury forum, there's much more concern about them being wound up , and the hearing not contested, as opposed to administration. Hearing is tomorrow.

I assume that being the case, if it did happen the results so far would be expunged, which would dock us 4 points.

Not sure how it affects other teams in the mix, other than Tranmere, who have yet to play them again, so would lose a chance of 3 points there.

EDIT We lose 4 points, Lincoln lose 4, MK DONS lose 3, Tranmere lose 0, but lose a game still to play.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:46 pm

In that case should we be back in the checkatrade trophy? :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:58 pm

if Bury are wound up and results expunged, and I very much hope that doesn't happen (football is about more than promotion, it's about having a club to support), then the table will look like this:

Lincoln - not relevant
MK Dons Pl 39 Pts 69
Mansfield Pl 39 Pts 68
Tranmere Pl 40 Pts 68

There is a version of how the table would look knocking around on twitter that is incorrect.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Normal standard FA rules for non league football let results stand if the team has played at least 75% of games and then award unplayed fixtures as 3-0 win to opposition.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 pm

part time pete wrote:Normal standard FA rules for non league football let results stand if the team has played at least 75% of games and then award unplayed fixtures as 3-0 win to opposition.

we're not in non league Pete.

Results are expunged if a club drops out of EFL during the regular season

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... he-league/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stoney » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Good luck to Bury tomorrow. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening with the amount of money at the top echelons of football.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Stoney wrote:Good luck to Bury tomorrow. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening with the amount of money at the top echelons of football.

How many people, should the unthinkable happen to Bury tomorrow, will read the headline about Bury going bust without caring then sit back and watch Sky Sports whilst drinking their pints of Carling.

There are huge swathes of the public, possibly two generations of them now that have been sold what they see is what they need for football. They don’t realise that they are part of the problem and too self interested to do their bit. After all ‘the public gets what the public wants’.

Good luck Bury.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:04 pm

No one wants to see a club go to the wall.

I haven't been following this closely - could this really happen?

I dont want to see bury go, and we are in a better place in the league if they are still in of their results and points gained from them are expunged.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Stoney wrote:Good luck to Bury tomorrow. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening with the amount of money at the top echelons of football.

How many people, should the unthinkable happen to Bury tomorrow, will read the headline about Bury going bust without caring then sit back and watch Sky Sports whilst drinking their pints of Carling.

There are huge swathes of the public, possibly two generations of them now that have been sold what they see is what they need for football. They don’t realise that they are part of the problem and too self interested to do their bit. After all ‘the public gets what the public wants’.

Good luck Bury.

How many teams in leagues below go out of business and never hit our radar?

I always see comments about how premier league fans don’t care, or that prem clubs should fork out and support lower leagues financially.

I think if we blame anyone else other than the owner of that particular club we are just wrong. Football is a business; if I ran my business on debts I wouldn’t expect someone higher up to throw me a bone. Life’s tough.

If someone wants to watch premier league football, so what? It’s their decision. How can we blame that culture for a club being poorly run?

Infact, I can’t remember a time when football in league two has been so well supported. Lincoln averaging 8k fans and notts county pullin in 15k fans every so often
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 pm

I’ve always thought this but then if the top clubs and the FA bailed teams out it would just encourage more and more teams to spend beyond their means

North Ferriby went out of business a couple of weeks ago over £7,000. If the FA had bailed them out what would the other 23 clubs in that league think? It’s a difficult line, we never want to see clubs go out of business but I’m not sure handing down money from the top of the game is the right answer.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 am

Foresttownstag wrote:

I’ve always thought this but then if the top clubs and the FA bailed teams out it would just encourage more and more teams to spend beyond their means

North Ferriby went out of business a couple of weeks ago over £7,000. If the FA had bailed them out what would the other 23 clubs in that league think? It’s a difficult line, we never want to see clubs go out of business but I’m not sure handing down money from the top of the game is the right answer.

The fact that a club in a town like North Ferriby has gone out of business for what is in effect a couple of hours work for Raheem Stirling etc is just wrong though.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum