{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bowl in Hand

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bowl in Hand

Postby Spiritater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:36 am

Was invited in by the landlady Kath this morning for a look around when I asked her about the MTFC logo on the front door. She's turned the pool room side into a Stags themed bar for supporters in town looking to lubricate their vocal chords pre match and celebrate post match. She'd like any memorabilia that you've no use for any more to help decorate the walls which already look good. Not been in much of recent times but now I know it's backing the Stags I can see me frequenting the hostelry on a more regular basis.
Every little helps to spread the word about our great club and I hope it's a success. We've moaned long and hard about the demise of the Vic, so at least there is one pub in town trying to generate some interest now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Bowl in Hand

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm

We used to go in there quite a bit. Will struggle post-match without Sky but we'll ensure we go in before and give it a few quid
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm

I've got an old centennial strip she can have to clear out the pub at last orders :P

Proper eyesore that was with it's blue and brown stripes - like some had used an Argentina shirt to wipe their 'arris with
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm

I always lament the loss of the Bowling Green behind the pub. To see a few tables and chairs there instead of that once beautifully kept green is such a shame. A properly unique piece of the towns history that, as I would imagine there aren't many in the country with that kind of setting.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Unfortunately bowls is a dying game sad to say with the demise of the mining communities. Carr Bank has lost theirs, Forest Town Welfare and looking as though the ones on Huthwaite park are next as they seem in a shocking state. No doubt there are others but the one behind the Bowl is not on it's own in becoming defunct.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:Unfortunately bowls is a dying game sad to say with the demise of the mining communities. Carr Bank has lost theirs, Forest Town Welfare and looking as though the ones on Huthwaite park are next as they seem in a shocking state. No doubt there are others but the one behind the Bowl is not on it's own in becoming defunct.

Bowl moved their club to Chesterfield Road near QE school
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:49 pm

I don't know about bowls on the green but remember it was a popular spot for clients of the Palais De Dance to get grass stains on their knees and elbows.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don't know about bowls on the green but remember it was a popular spot for clients of the Palais De Dance to get grass stains on their knees and elbows.

or rattle the dustbin lids in the alleyway down to the museum , Sad day when they changed the Museum entrance from the bottom to the top of the alley .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:55 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don't know about bowls on the green but remember it was a popular spot for clients of the Palais De Dance to get grass stains on their knees and elbows.

Shame about the poor old Palais

It's where the Big bands used to come and play.
My mother used to go there on a Saturday.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:I've got an old centennial strip she can have to clear out the pub at last orders :P

Proper eyesore that was with it's blue and brown stripes - like some had used an Argentina shirt to wipe their 'arris with

I loved that shirt, but I do have some degree of colour blindness :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am

Bit surprised...thought this thread was about Notts Clownty, when I saw the title.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28 pm

one f in mansfield wrote:

or rattle the dustbin lids in the alleyway down to the museum , Sad day when they changed the Museum entrance from the bottom to the top of the alley .

I forgot about the Museum entrance..the biggest open air toilet in town, before the glass entrace was built. :lol:
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:I've got an old centennial strip she can have to clear out the pub at last orders :P

I loved that shirt, but I do have some degree of colour blindness :D

Even Stevie Wonder would struggle to like that shirt :lol:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby SuffolkStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:Unfortunately bowls is a dying game sad to say with the demise of the mining communities. Carr Bank has lost theirs, Forest Town Welfare and looking as though the ones on Huthwaite park are next as they seem in a shocking state. No doubt there are others but the one behind the Bowl is not on it's own in becoming defunct.

I used to frequent the Bowl in Hand during the 1980's and I was never aware that there was a bowling green behind the pub! I'm sure you are correct about bowls being in decline as a participant sport. There used to be an impressive green and clubhouse on Westfield Lane near the junction with Broomhill Lane but I noticed that had gone about three years ago during one of my rare visits back to Mansfield.
SuffolkStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm

The problem with bowls players is they insist on passing away.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:24 pm

:o :o :o :o One of the best shirts we've ever had.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby zygon2003 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:28 pm

First time I've been. A proper gem. Great Stags theme and former bowls green outside is a unique feature. Will revisit.
zygon2003
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robeyre » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:17 pm

First time I've had chance to check on this. From previous reports I expected one small room with passing reference to stags.
This is a full on stags pub and deserves credit for nailing its colours firmly to the stags mast.
Also beer good value and still serves msnsfield smooth. I know irs not the real rhing hut they're trying!
If you miss 70s/80 pubs give this one a try.
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Have they got any Stags photos on the walls?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 am

Dan wrote:Have they got any Stags photos on the walls?

None that are obvious. Lots of shirts and scarves. Most of photos are of old local scences or advertising posters, look like they've
been part of the decor for some years
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:10 am

The pool room in the Plough in Farnsfield used to have some brilliant stags and Forest memorabilia and photos.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby crazystagdad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:28 am

great effort by bowl,just needs some pics dan westwell
crazystagdad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:31 pm

More than happy to supply them pics mate, if they want to give me an email address I can email them & they can print them as big as they like.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Did not have spiro as a Kinks fan lol
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby crazystagdad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:15 pm

dan im away till good friday now so not be able to pop in till then pal