{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Keith Haslam Years

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Keith Haslam Years

Postby Chadman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 am

A look back at a dramatic, controversial, turbulent but never dull period of Stags' history under public enemy number one!

You couldn't make some of it up. If this was a script for a TV drama about a football club it would be rejected as far-fetched.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9649689
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: The Keith Haslam Years

Postby lifestags » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am

My word we have come a long way from all that. Puts things into perspective, we are 3rd with 9 games to go! Come on then Mansfield!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Let's not forget the part that our towns then MP played. W@nkér
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 am

Would be a perfect thank you to the Radfords to achieve promotion the same season the stadium is secured! COYS!
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Makes my skin crawl reading that. The Chad story is short and sharp, but the reality is one could write a novel with the antics of those years.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 pm

88BenM wrote:Let's not forget the part that our towns then MP played. W@nkér

Or the Chud

Hang on a minute, at the time they did NOTHING :evil:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:27 pm

And don’t forget Stewart and Sharon Rickersey - briefly MD and Ops Director.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Hopefully he rots in hell.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:07 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Hopefully he rots in hell.

It's very hot down there, cassells.

As hot as an electric fire beneath the Bishop Street stand I believe.

:twisted:
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:And don’t forget Stewart and Sharon Rickersey - briefly MD and Ops Director.

Now a Council free loader...great feeling still knowing we fund him☹️
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby West Ham 1969 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:19 pm

88BenM wrote:Let's not forget the part that our towns then MP played. W@nkér

And now Knighted....what a joke our honours system is.

If I got tax payers to paint my fences or do my gardens do you think I could be a Sir!
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chris M » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Brought a lot of memories flooding back reading that article. Could feel myself getting angrier the more I read.

It is such a shame that an individual can take over a football club and destroy the hopes and aspirations of a generation of football supporters almost overnight.

Whatever happens this season we are in a so much better place than we ever were under the Calver Cowboy.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 pm

This puts our recent disappointing results in perspective.
Whether we get promoted this season or not - we are in a good place as a club - And that is the most important thing.
Thank you John Radford.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

Jamie needs to read this bit 100 times & hopefully it might sink in (doubtful)

Billy Dearden came in to build a side from scratch for 1999/2000 and kept them in the League for the next two seasons before his superb management had them sat in third by New Year's Day.

But, still without the security of a Stags contract, Dearden was offered one by neighbours Notts County and, with Haslam unsurprisingly refusing to match the offer, the manager left.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Dan wrote:Jamie needs to read this bit 100 times & hopefully it might sink in (doubtful)

Billy Dearden came in to build a side from scratch for 1999/2000 and kept them in the League for the next two seasons before his superb management had them sat in third by New Year's Day.

But, still without the security of a Stags contract, Dearden was offered one by neighbours Notts County and, with Haslam unsurprisingly refusing to match the offer, the manager left.

For me what BD did in getting a mid table finish in 99/00 was a far greater acheivement than building the promotion winning team.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Dan wrote:Jamie needs to read this bit 100 times & hopefully it might sink in (doubtful)

Cone on Dan, i've never disputed any of that... My argument was that he would have got his contract once promotion was achieved. He was asking for League One wages (offered by Notts) at a time when our League Two side was looking good for promotion but by no means guaranteed. If my staff asked me for a pay rise now for work there going to complete in 4 months, i'd rightly laugh at them. He tried to hold the club / Haslam to ransom and got his bluff called.

I respect him for the job he did here the first time, but won't ever forgive him for going down the road, or the shambles he made of things on the pitch the second time round. That team should never have gone down and he's as much to blame as Haslam, Shirtliff and Holland for that.

I'm glad Haslam is finally fully gone. He wasn't a good owner, i've never claimed otherwise. Well done JR for stumping up the cash to save the club and buy the ground.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Jamie wrote:

Cone on Dan, i've never disputed any of that... My argument was that he would have got his contract once promotion was achieved.

I respect him for the job he did here the first time, but won't ever forgive him for going down the road, or the shambles he made of things on the pitch the second time round. That team should never have gone down and he's as much to blame as Haslam, Shirtliff and Holland for that.

I'm glad Haslam is finally fully gone. He wasn't a good owner, i've never claimed otherwise. Well done JR for stumping up the cash to save the club and buy the ground.

That's the big difference between you and Billy Jamie. You blindly trusted Haslam and Billy actually knew the man.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Trusted him? I didn't know half of what he was up to i'm sure... I just argued the toss on here about some of the ridiculous claims people made that were clearly just nonsense.

I was there marching, protesting on the bank, chanting for him to go and celebrating with everyone else when he was finally displaced.

Do you really think Haslam wouldn't have given his manager a new deal for getting promotion? Half the squad got new improved contracts, to suggest Billy wouldn't is crazy talk.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:39 am

Absolute rubbish. You regularly called Billy a Judas on here. You regularly stuck up & defended that piece of raspberries on here too. As for what Billy was asking for, you don't know any of that & are just guessing to try and deflect the attention away from the facts (which are Billy was told he wouldn't be getting a contract in the summer whether we went up or not). Luckily most people on here saw the stuff you put on here in defence of 'him' & the slagging off you did of Billy so you can backtrack as much as you like, but lots of us know the truth.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:46 am

Anyone who has anything good to say about the Calver criminal, should be supporting a different club.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Maverick » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm

He epitomised what a club owner shouldn't be. Having seen some of the shenanigans first hand I can assure you it still amazes me the club survived his tenure.

Whereas the Radford's have built a near perfect business model. We are a very fortunate club to have them onboard.
Maverick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum