{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vale Scorefred sponsored by 3 Points but no Pies

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vale Scorefred sponsored by 3 Points but no Pies

Postby Jimstag » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 am

Atmosphere completely flat in the car home.
Other teams will drop points in the run in, we’ve just got to do our part. That’s the problem I see I don’t trust us to do it at the moment as the away form has to improve dramatically. I think it’s more of an issue than Tyler returning, the 532 doesn’t look as balanaced without White and too many players appear to go missing too often. Many focus that on Grant who we had big expectations of but there are others
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am

part time pete wrote:There is no chance of winning away games when you are effectively playing with a man short with Grant on the pitch.

In Grant’s five away games we have got four points, relegation form of 0.8 pts per game, Martin.

In Grant's five home games we have got fifteen points, title form of 3.0 pts per game, Pete.

You're picking him out, but he was no worse than Mellis, etc etc
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
part time pete wrote:There is no chance of winning away games when you are effectively playing with a man short with Grant on the pitch.

In Grant’s five away games we have got four points, relegation form of 0.8 pts per game, Martin.

In Grant's five home games we have got fifteen points, title form of 3.0 pts per game, Pete.

You're picking him out, but he was no worse than Mellis, etc etc
Play him at home, bench him away. If only it were that simple.

Seriously I think he's a luxury we can't afford at the moment. I think Mac Donald would serve us better in the run in.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am

Amber hasa point, Grant seems to have lost it away from home, could that be why Luton were not playing him enough for Forest's liking?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:03 am

I told Pete before the game that he was bang on about Jorge Grant's performances away from home. As Pete previously said, he's turned up for the 2nd half at Colchester and 1st half at Forest Green Rovers. He was clearly not in the game again 1st half and deserved to be subbed. I'm surprised he was left on and Jacb Mellis was taken off. Vale fans were having a go at him for most of the game for chucking himself on the floor whenever anybody got near him. Would you trust him in a battle?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 am

I think it’s play offs for us and not sure this team will be any good in that scenario the MK win is a team that is on the up begging to doubt more now we seem to have got into a slump and not sure why
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:55 am

I think I read a couple of people saying on one thread that there was disagreement over who would take the penalty. Just study the video footage, there was no disagreement. Grant was discussing with the ref (probably saying Legge should be booked), but no discussion over who should take the penalty.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I think I read a couple of people saying on one thread that there was disagreement over who would take the penalty. Just study the video footage, there was no disagreement. Grant was discussing with the ref (probably saying Legge should be booked), but no discussion over who should take the penalty.

Martin - there’s a few on here that are seeing the falling-out of players that didn’t happen.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm

Just watching the game again on iFollow. Neal Bishop gives the ball away from the kick off which set the tone for the game. Jorge Grant loses possession of the ball 5 times in the first 10 minutes. We gave the ball away 37 times in the 1st half with Jorge Grant being the main culprit losing the ball 12 times followed by Neal Bishop and Will Tomlinson (5 each) although Neal Bishop won the ball back 4 times. Ryan Sweeney won the most defensive headers as is usually the case. Krystian Peace looked uncomfortable on the right hand side of defence and was beaten by Ricky Miller twice and Luke Hannant one for them to get crosses in. We only created the one chance which was the penalty although CJ Hamilton had a chance to get a shot in and Leon Legge nearly scores an own goal from a corner. We had 7 corners but never really threatened. Lincoln scored from 4 corners against Port Vale.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:51 am

I was saying on Saturday for the size of our players we don’t score enough goals from corners
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:04 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just watching the game again on iFollow. Neal Bishop gives the ball away from the kick off which set the tone for the game. Jorge Grant loses possession of the ball 5 times in the first 10 minutes. We gave the ball away 37 times in the 1st half with Jorge Grant being the main culprit losing the ball 12 times followed by Neal Bishop and Will Tomlinson (5 each) although Neal Bishop won the ball back 4 times. Ryan Sweeney won the most defensive headers as is usually the case. Krystian Peace looked uncomfortable on the right hand side of defence and was beaten by Ricky Miller twice and Luke Hannant one for them to get crosses in. We only created the one chance which was the penalty although CJ Hamilton had a chance to get a shot in and Leon Legge nearly scores an own goal from a corner. We had 7 corners but never really threatened. Lincoln scored from 4 corners against Port Vale.

Me I listened to Stevo's commo and in the first 15 minutes he hardly mentioned us in their half of the pitch. It sounded as though he was commentating on the Keystone Cops 3rd eleven such was the pathetic nature of the game from our perspective.
You could connect with the total frustration and disbelief he and his co commentator (the twitter feed updater for t'club) were feeling watching us. Me, as Tippy says, I never feel that we'll do anything from a corner as in general we don't possess that big nasty clucker to give us a target. Our corners are in general a long winded, time wasting way of giving the ball back to the opposition.
Be interesting to find out just how many corners and free kicks we've had and the percentage of goals scored (or even proper saves made by the oppo stopper for that matter) as I can't remember too many during t'season to be honest, maybe it's just me.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:41 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Just watching the game again on iFollow. Neal Bishop gives the ball away from the kick off which set the tone for the game. Jorge Grant loses possession of the ball 5 times in the first 10 minutes. We gave the ball away 37 times in the 1st half with Jorge Grant being the main culprit losing the ball 12 times followed by Neal Bishop and Will Tomlinson (5 each) although Neal Bishop won the ball back 4 times. Ryan Sweeney won the most defensive headers as is usually the case. Krystian Peace looked uncomfortable on the right hand side of defence and was beaten by Ricky Miller twice and Luke Hannant one for them to get crosses in. We only created the one chance which was the penalty although CJ Hamilton had a chance to get a shot in and Leon Legge nearly scores an own goal from a corner. We had 7 corners but never really threatened. Lincoln scored from 4 corners against Port Vale.

I don't think I've ever seen The Chief having to defend such a wide position and I think that was a major factor in our lack of shape at the back. Having Preston, Pearce and Sweeney at the back always looks more assured, but if any of those 3 aren't available we look vulnerable.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am

I think you are right De Stag. It's a case of horses for courses. If we are playing with a back three then Krystian Pearce has to be in the centre and Ryan Sweeney on the left. However we have nobody who can play on the right in a back three as Hayden White and Matt Preston are injured. Krystian Pearce can do a job there but he does not look as comfortable when he is one on one with an attacker. However I thought Krystian Pearce was one of our better players at Port Vale along with Mal Benning.

As other fans have mentioned on here, if a back three does not work due to playing players out of position then we might as well go with a flat back four which we have ended up doing in both the Cheltenham and Port Vale games. That also allows us to play both Mal Benning and CJ Hamilton down the left and they generally play well together.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:46 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think you are right De Stag. It's a case of horses for courses. If we are playing with a back three then Krystian Pearce has to be in the centre and Ryan Sweeney on the left. However we have nobody who can play on the right in a back three as Hayden White and Matt Preston are injured. Krystian Pearce can do a job there but he does not look as comfortable when he is one on one with an attacker. However I thought Krystian Pearce was one of our better players at Port Vale along with Mal Benning.

As other fans have mentioned on here, if a back three does not work due to playing players out of position then we might as well go with a flat back four which we have ended up doing in both the Cheltenham and Port Vale games. That also allows us to play both Mal Benning and CJ Hamilton down the left and they generally play well together.

If only it were that simple - playing a formation that suited the players on the pitch :shock:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am

Drop Grant and don't use Turner either.
White missing seems to have spoiled the whole season from then on save some wins at home and agree, hope Preston back soon
There seems to have been a lot of messing about with the team of late and although there were some suspensions and injuries I can't see a settled team or formation at all.
I feel badly in my water its play offs as feel MK not going to blow games like that and playing bottom sides and losing to PV is not promotion material and the pressure of play offs for this team will be a massive bottle job and JR will again have another season splashing out the cash to get us up....if he can be bothered of course!!and who could blame him
He always does his bit the but the players don't do theirs
Stop overnight stops and posh go karting events etc and trips to Malta till the team produces something better than 3 away defeats to poor opposition.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm

On a positive note it could be a lot worse, we could have just lost 3-2 at home to Eastleigh, like that shower over the M1.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm

DE STAG wrote:On a positive note it could be a lot worse, we could have just lost 3-2 at home to Eastleigh, like that shower over the M1.

Sorry I can’t take it as a positive. I only care about us getting promoted. If we don’t, it would be a bit of a disaster imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum