{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Team v County

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Team v County

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 pm

daddycool wrote:What’s happened to our most expensive signing and top earner ,? Otis Khan

Started off the season in excellent form. Got injured and hasn’t been able to get back into the side after injury, quite simple really.

I don’t think Otis will have any gripes with it, the team have been excellent whilst he’s been injured, it’s up to him to break back in.

I’m a massive fan of Otis, he’s a young kid and will come good.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 am

daddycool wrote:What’s happened to our most expensive signing and top earner ,? Otis Khan

He's not our top earner, but he is certainly out of favour. The injury came at a time when he was in great form which is a shame, and he's clearly now lacking in confidence in the few sub appearances we have seen. He will come good eventually, just needs patience and a bit of belief in him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 am

Agree Khan should be somewhere in the plans??
Ajose looks fit and like the look of him but is not proving prolific at scoring sadly.
Rose probably wont feature much now this season.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 am

My team would be :

Smith

Jones
Preston
Pearce
Benning
CJ

Bishop
Mellis

Grant

Walker
Ajose

If Sweeney was available, I would be dropping Ajose.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am

I'm not sure why everyone seems to want Ajose in the starting line-up. He hasn't done much of note and, when he does get chances, he tends to waste them (e.g. the shot blazed over the bar on Saturday when he should have got it on target).

To try to accomodate all of his new signings, DF has tampered with a winning formula and ended up with square pegs in round holes. I would go with the following on Saturday (assuming Turner is fit):

GK: Smith
RWB: Jones
CB: Pearce
CB: Preston
CB: Turner
LWB: Benning
CM: Bishop
CM: Mellis
CAM: Grant
ST: Walker
ST: Hamilton

If Turner isn't fit then I would pull Jones inot the right of the back three and play Atkinson at RWB. Whatever the case, Hamilton was in the form of his life as a striker - even attracting bids from Championship clubs. He's much less effective as a wing back.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

We have looked our best this season when cj is up top. Since he has moved to rwb again we have looked less threatening from open play (which is what caused a lot of problems before his shift up front). With the players available we really should move to a 4 at the back in my opinion however I think Mal or Jones will start as one of the three centre backs, and cj continuing to be played out of position to accommodate Ajose.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am

Formation likely to be 433.

This will see Benning and Jones at FB. It will allow CJ Walker and Ajose up top.

Middle of bish Mels and granty
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 am

gavinbrookes wrote:I'm not sure why everyone seems to want Ajose in the starting line-up. He hasn't done much of note and, when he does get chances, he tends to waste them (e.g. the shot blazed over the bar on Saturday when he should have got it on target).

To try to accomodate all of his new signings, DF has tampered with a winning formula and ended up with square pegs in round holes. I would go with the following on Saturday (assuming Turner is fit):

If Turner isn't fit then I would pull Jones inot the right of the back three and play Atkinson at RWB. Whatever the case, Hamilton was in the form of his life as a striker - even attracting bids from Championship clubs. He's much less effective as a wing back.

Turner isn’t fit apparently so you’d rather have Atkinson in the 11 who gives us nothing going forward and isn’t particularly good at defending (and would be marking their best attacking player), over Ajose?

I can see why people have a bit of doubt with Ajose at the minute but I think we should stick with him. He’s got 1 goal (should be more admittedly), and 3 assists, but I think he links up well with Walker and Grant. He’s scored plenty of goals in his career and I think he’ll start bagging soon. For me Musings has the right 11 with Benning being pulled in to LCB. We are stronger with Benning there, Hamilton at LWB and Ajose up top in my opinion than Jones at CB and Atkinson at wing back.

CJ has been very effective up top, but we all know he will be better on the left than he is on the right so that’s the best solution for me considering injuries and suspensions.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Formation likely to be 433.

This will see Benning and Jones at FB. It will allow CJ Walker and Ajose up top.

You really think that, he'd rather play Khan as CH than abandon the back 3
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 am

BH_Stag wrote:
gavinbrookes wrote:I'm not sure why everyone seems to want Ajose in the starting line-up. He hasn't done much of note and, when he does get chances, he tends to waste them (e.g. the shot blazed over the bar on Saturday when he should have got it on target).

Turner isn’t fit apparently so you’d rather have Atkinson in the 11 who gives us nothing going forward and isn’t particularly good at defending (and would be marking their best attacking player), over Ajose?

I can see why people have a bit of doubt with Ajose at the minute but I think we should stick with him. He’s got 1 goal (should be more admittedly), and 3 assists, but I think he links up well with Walker and Grant. He’s scored plenty of goals in his career and I think he’ll start bagging soon. For me Musings has the right 11 with Benning being pulled in to LCB. We are stronger with Benning there, Hamilton at LWB and Ajose up top in my opinion than Jones at CB and Atkinson at wing back.

CJ has been very effective up top, but we all know he will be better on the left than he is on the right so that’s the best solution for me considering injuries and suspensions.

I'm glad you agree but can we stop giving Ajose the assist for Grant's goal v Macc? It was a shot that the keeper saved.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

I'm glad you agree but can we stop giving Ajose the assist for Grant's goal v Macc? It was a shot that the keeper saved.

I know technically it’s not counted as an assist but it’s as good as. He’s skipped by his man and shot across goal, key involvement nonetheless.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bob ledgers barber » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

Big referee appointment for Saturday. Lee Mason.
Happy with that.
bob ledgers barber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gavinbrookes » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am

BH_Stag wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree. I don't think it makes sense to put our best player at left wing back and to eliminate his threat. I am not worried about stopping County. We have to go there with the ambition of scoring goals rather than escaping with a narrow win.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

But there ain't no option. Back four of benning Pearce Preston and Jones.

Mellis Bishop and Grant middle

CJ walker and Ajose up top.

Benning and Jones will still be encouraged to get forred.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:My team would be :

Smith

Jones
Preston
Pearce
Benning
CJ

Bishop
Mellis

Grant

Walker
Ajose

If Sweeney was available, I would be dropping Ajose.

Be very happy to see this. We need to get at Nott early and have a go, the longer it stays 0-0 the more they will believe after their last couple of fixtures. Get an early goal, get on top and their heads will drop (hopefully)
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

We will have to agree to disagree. I don't think it makes sense to put our best player at left wing back and to eliminate his threat. I am not worried about stopping County. We have to go there with the ambition of scoring goals rather than escaping with a narrow win.

He’s been at RWB for the past month so even if he is LWB we will get more out of him going forward. Having Atkinson at wing back and Ajose on the bench isn’t ambitious, but CJ left and Ajose and Walker up top is more so in my opinion.

He may do none of that and go 433/4312 which I wouldn’t mind either - will be interesting to see!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Atkinson v Boldewjin? Please no
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Atkinson v Boldewjin? Please no

Atko would be torn a new one!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

But there ain't no option. Back four of benning Pearce Preston and Jones.

Mellis Bishop and Grant middle

CJ walker and Ajose up top.

Benning and Jones will still be encouraged to get forred.

But there is an option of Benning in at left CB and then he can shoehorn the woefully out of form CJ in at LWB as others have already pointed out.
He wont abandon the 3 CBs, perhaps this is what the Bury and Swindon fans meant by the out of position players in all the time as hes not flexible(stubborn) with the formation????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Flitcroft said this morning that we will probably be changing system for Saturday. Could be a bluff of course.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Flitcroft said this morning that we will probably be changing system for Saturday. Could be a bluff of course.

I'm presuming that means CJ will be playing left wing then :roll:
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:27 am

Wouldn’t be a bad thing if Rose is at RB.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:59 am

Midfield will be where the game is won or lost In my opinion .. We need to keep O'Brian and Doyle quiet .
Playing just Grant , Bishop and Mellis may not be enough .

I'd go for
Smith
Jones Pearce Preston Benning
Tomlinson Mellis Bishop
Grant
Hamilton Walker

They will be scared stiff of CJ . He played excellent when up front with Walker .
AJose sub gives us a option up front .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum