{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:55 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am

my detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:36 am

I was a bit disappointed that the players seemed surprised by the lumpy pitch and didn't know how to cope with it. I'd have expected that they'd spent all week training on the roughest pitches they could find around Mansfield (which wouldn't exactly have been a big challenge to locate). Grant in particular appeared to have no idea what to do. Somehow, Newport could play a passing game at times as well as long ball - because they are used to that type of pitch. Our passing, such as it was, was characterised by heavy touches, lack of control and over hit balls.
On top of which, despite our defence looking fearful of Willmott's runs and knowing about his strike from just outside the penalty area against Middlesbrough, he was allowed plenty of time and space to repeat the feat.

Whilst never getting out of second gear we seemed to get used to the conditions more in the second half, and on reflection Ajose's terrible first minute miss and the incorrect penalty decision meant that we lost through bad luck and misjudgement more than due to the conditions.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Didn’t look like a penalty to me just a ‘coming together’ but I’m yet to see the pitch side footage obviously.

The walker one was ridiculous, nasty tackle that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Conker wrote:Didn’t look like a penalty to me just a ‘coming together’ but I’m yet to see the pitch side footage obviously.

it's on the videos thread
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:47 pm

This is a penalty, coming together or not. CJ is clattered, poor decision giving foul wrong way. I agree with Flitcroft the tackle on TW is nasty and a leg breaker. The most frustrating point for me was the five minutes of time wasted by their keeper with goal kicks. Took forever.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:This is a penalty, coming together or not. CJ is clattered, poor decision giving foul wrong way. I agree with Flitcroft the tackle on TW is nasty and a leg breaker. The most frustrating point for me was the five minutes of time wasted by their keeper with goal kicks. Took forever.

I wasn't timing him, but it seemed like he carefully took thirty seconds for each kick. Frustrating, but nothing the ref could penalise him for.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:29 pm

Conker wrote:Didn’t look like a penalty to me just a ‘coming together’ but I’m yet to see the pitch side footage obviously.

CJ gets taken out like that on a regular basis outside the area, and I don't remember the defender ever being awarded the free kick before. It's the obvious illegal way to stop his run.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Bradders wrote:

CJ gets taken out like that on a regular basis outside the area, and I don't remember the defender ever being awarded the free kick before. It's the obvious illegal way to stop his run.

Exactly, anywhere else on the pitch its a free kick to CJ and a booking for opposition for a late cynical tackle.
Ref bottled it
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Interesting and rather annoying to hear the Newport fans' take on the match and Flitcroft!

http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48012&sid=25ff69a6a3807010da559b76aded921c
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Bradders wrote:Interesting and rather annoying to hear the Newport fans' take on the match and Flitcroft!

http://www.weareexiles.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48012&sid=25ff69a6a3807010da559b76aded921c

They’re entitled to their opinions.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Bradders wrote:Interesting and rather annoying to hear the Newport fans' take on the match and Flitcroft!

Most football fans watch a game through one eye.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 pm

2 shocking decisions which to be honest cost us the game, particularly with the penalty decision. So frustrating.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:32 am

Ref probably had a welsh four legged girlfriend.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

We are very fortunate that Tyler Walker didn't get a serious long term injury from that. The thought of losing him for the rest of the season doesn't bear thinking about.
Hopefully, Danny Rose will be back soon, but if not (or if any more strikers get injured) .... what are our options? - can we recall OSJ? can we sign an out of contract striker till the end of the season?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 am

Vice President wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

We are very fortunate that Tyler Walker didn't get a serious long term injury from that. The thought of losing him for the rest of the season doesn't bear thinking about.
Hopefully, Danny Rose will be back soon, but if not (or if any more strikers get injured) .... what are our options? - can we recall OSJ? can we sign an out of contract striker till the end of the season?

We've got three, we use two. There isn't really an issue.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Wonder if The club have complained re the ref?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

seems to be happening a lot recently. bad challenges on our players not getting punished
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

If you read my post I am referring to 'any further injuries'. Clearly any further injuries to our strikers will be a big issue. So I was just wondering what options are available to us should that happen.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Vice President wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

If you read my post I am referring to 'any further injuries'. Clearly any further injuries to our strikers will be a big issue. So I was just wondering what options are available to us should that happen.

Sorry, didn't see that. Don't think we'd be able to recall OSJ. We could play two number tens as we have in other games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum