{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bookings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bookings

Postby spstag » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Anyone know if we have any suspensions for next week?
Benning and sweeney booked today
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Bookings

Postby BigGuy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:22 pm

Sweeney out for 2 games
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby spstag » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 pm

not a good day then .. need to regroup and forget today asap
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:26 pm

spstag wrote:Anyone know if we have any suspensions for next week?
Benning and sweeney booked today

Sweeney on 10 - suspended for next 2 games.
Bishop on 9. Preston on 8.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby spstag » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Looks like a 4-4-1-1 next week then ..

Smith

Jones Pearce Preston benning

Hamilton mellis bishop Tomlinson
Grant
Walker
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 pm

spstag wrote:Looks like a 4-4-1-1 next week then ..

Smith

Grant
Walker

possibly. I think more likely is Benning into central defence, with Jones and Hamilton as wing-backs. Or Ben Turner in central defence if he is ready. See my report.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby spstag » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Smith

Grant
Walker

possibly. I think more likely is Benning into central defence, with Jones and Hamilton as wing-backs. Or Ben Turner in central defence if he is ready. See my report.

Thanks Martin,
Yes read the report,
It's unlikely Turner will be ready next week,
I hope we do use Jones on the right and Hamilton on the left,
I feel having Hamilton on the right is a weak link of late, he needs to be played on the left, my only criticism of Flitcroft would be not seeing that Hamilton has had little impact on the right yet he's been reluctant to be brace enough to change it.
He may need to now so let's hope it's a forced change that actually sees us have more of a threat going forward than of late.
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kernow » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am

Time for CJ to take a rest, apart from the cross in the first minute, he was appalling,
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 am

Kernow wrote:Time for CJ to take a rest, apart from the cross in the first minute, he was appalling,

I agree that mostly he had a poor game. However he should have also won a penalty, as you'll see from a video coming up at midday, but the hapless referee absurdly gave the free kick the other way.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Kernow wrote:Time for CJ to take a rest, apart from the cross in the first minute, he was appalling,

I agree that mostly he had a poor game. However he should have also won a penalty, as you'll see from a video coming up at midday, but the hapless referee absurdly gave the free kick the other way.

It was a poor decision Martin, I think to sum it up it just wasn't our day. We have to accept it and move on.

In fairness could be a blessing in disguise as the lads now know they need to up their game for the remainder of the season.

Now is the time for Flitcroft to earn his coin, he needs to stop shoehorning players into the squad and play our strongest team available.

Grant had two men on him most of the game yesterday so was ineffective, CJ (when up front) and Walker at times this season have also had two men covering them in separate games. Opposition teams can't double man mark all three players and this is something we need to start taking advantage of. Putting CJ at wing back nullifies the attacking threat and makes it easier for the opposition. Personally I would drop Ajose and stick hamilton up front.

Towards the end of the game yesterday Hamilton was more forward on the left and we had started to apply pressure we just couldn't convert.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:50 am

Smith

Grant
Walker

Tomlinson left wing who is a CM and 1 striker for pretty much the first time this season, in a local derby against bottom of the league (I know they’ve improved or late)? No chance of that in my opinion.

Agree with Martin, I could see Benning playing at left centre back if Turner is not available. I think the below is the most likely side, and the one I’d probably go with unless we went really attacking with the same 433 we saw away at Colchester second half.

Smith in goal
Preston, Pearce, Benning at CB
Jones and Hamilton at WB
Mellis and Bishop in the middle
Grant in behind Ajose and Walker

Ajose and Hamilton aren’t at their best at the minute but I’d stick with them for now, and we know CJ will be more effective on the left.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum