{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Free tickets again available for U18 vs FGR and Cheltenham

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Free tickets again available for U18 vs FGR and Cheltenh

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Ok, fair enough, that's your view.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Spiritater wrote:Ok, fair enough, that's your view.

That’s fine then but I think the one thing we can agree on is that the crowds are improving and don’t look like decreasing for the time being.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 pm

They are slowly. But the fact that we struggle to attract fans in volume makes a mockery of us wanting to redevelop the Bish doesn't it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Comparing free tickets for under 17s and £2 for EVERYONE is a daft comparison; two completely different offers for completely different teams.

It's a great offer we have on, and I think the club will now do more to market it to schools (sending players etc) but we aren't going to see insane attendances. I'd be happy breaking the 6k barrier and pushing the mid 6k figure with the offers
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Spiritater wrote:They are slowly. But the fact that we struggle to attract fans in volume makes a mockery of us wanting to redevelop the Bish doesn't it.

I’m in the hotel club. Bishop street just needs some maintenance for time being and get it back to what it was in 2002 so we can house extra Away fans until attendances dictate otherwise.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:Comparing free tickets for under 17s and £2 for EVERYONE is a daft comparison; two completely different offers for completely different teams.

It's a great offer we have on, and I think the club will now do more to market it to schools (sending players etc) but we aren't going to see insane attendances. I'd be happy breaking the 6k barrier and pushing the mid 6k figure with the offers

That'd make two of us happy then :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 pm

If we got 6,000 in you'd be saying it should be 7,000. Boring.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:25 am

https://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/ ... easonid=10

Remember the pay what you want game? 9 years ago TODAY over 7000 people came. If I remember rightly the SAG had severely reduced our capacity and that was a sell out for home fans (note the 74 from gateshead in a nearly 2000 seater stand, which also had its capacity cut)

Thats what you compare it to. We sold out. I'd wager that if they made 1 game £10 for adults and free u18 we'd see a huge increase in numbers.

The issue with this offer is don't you need to be with a full paying adult? You've got to get them in the door first.

I don't get why we don't look at the difference between our capacity and actual home attendance and then the "spare" tickets we send to schools for families. So say a child can apply for 1 adult ticket and 2 kids tickets. We put on a good display the kids will beg to come back. So next time we do a free kids offer the parent may be more willing to part with £20 to take them.

Only for a few games a season. People may moan that people are getting free tickets but surely having seats filled by people who wouldn't normally fill them is better than empty seats?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am

Totally agree.Good post.Kids have many more interests today.When I was a teenager there was no mobile phones or internet.I can always remember that we had the faithful 5000.We are getting towards that figure now.We are now seventh in the average league table.Progress.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 am

geoffhill wrote:Totally agree.Good post.Kids have many more interests today.When I was a teenager there was no mobile phones or internet.I can always remember that we had the faithful 5000.We are getting towards that figure now.We are now seventh in the average league table.Progress.

Thats exactly what I said - i'm only going back 20 years to be 14 - we didn't have any of that then either (or just about) you've got to work harder to get them in.

Also there wasn't 450 matches on TV every week also
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Just spent two hours writing down my big plan and it didn't go through. Let's try again!
Big plan for getting the next generation through the turnstiles.... If I was tasked with the job, I would definitely not be sending players out to schools? The only kids able to identify with the players are the ones going to Stags in the first place. They've already been hooked for want of a better phrase. I would find out how many schools are in "the area". (how big is the area, as far as Ollerton and Walesby?). The following part contains totally hypothetical numbers, before everyone starts picking holes. Let's say the catchment area contains 40 schools ( for all I know, there could be 60 secondary schools and 70 primaries). Mansfield Town GIVE AWAY 100 or 200 tickets to each home game. For instance 10 or twenty tickets to ten schools at a time ( all hypothetical don't forget). The next game a different ten or so schools receive tickets. Half adult and half junior tickets. That's it!!!
Mansfield have done their bit to embrace the community and tried to reel in the next generation. Wouldn't need radio advertising or any extra work from anyone. The school would then decide how to award the tickets. Behavior in class, genuine interest in attending matches with a family member who otherwise is financially unable to attend etc etc. Is 200 free tickets for every home game sustainable? It's just a plan that obviously needs groundwork but COULD work.
I hope to read any constructive thoughts or argument against this idea . Could be more interesting than half the current threads currently on the go... But probably not!
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 pm

gazza1988 wrote:https://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=427&seasonid=10

Remember the pay what you want game? 9 years ago TODAY over 7000 people came. If I remember rightly the SAG had severely reduced our capacity and that was a sell out for home fans (note the 74 from gateshead in a nearly 2000 seater stand, which also had its capacity cut)

Thats what you compare it to. We sold out. I'd wager that if they made 1 game £10 for adults and free u18 we'd see a huge increase in numbers.

The issue with this offer is don't you need to be with a full paying adult? You've got to get them in the door first.

I don't get why we don't look at the difference between our capacity and actual home attendance and then the "spare" tickets we send to schools for families. So say a child can apply for 1 adult ticket and 2 kids tickets. We put on a good display the kids will beg to come back. So next time we do a free kids offer the parent may be more willing to part with £20 to take them.

Only for a few games a season. People may moan that people are getting free tickets but surely having seats filled by people who wouldn't normally fill them is better than empty seats?

Only if under 12.

13-17 year olds can come unaccompanied as a group of mates.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 pm

gazza1988 wrote:https://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=427&seasonid=10

Pay what you want was a massive failure. Got a “full” ground but hardly took any gate money relative to a normal match (I paid the difference between my season ticket price and normal price because I wanted it to succeed.) The next match against Luton, almost a month later due to postponed games, got a just above average 3000 home fans. Probably not helped by a poor game against Gateshead.
Match day pricing and offers are a minefield and depends what you want from them.
16000 paying £2 (or £10) against 10000 paying £20. You might get more catering sales etc and a perhaps a better atmosphere.
The kids offer is probably one of a more long term strategy and is probably cost neutral. You lose some of the regular teenagers income but gain from adults (accompanying younger ones) paying their £20-24 and other income.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm

halifaxstag wrote:

Pay what you want was a massive failure. Got a “full” ground but hardly took any gate money relative to a normal match (I paid the difference between my season ticket price and normal price because I wanted it to succeed.) The next match against Luton, almost a month later due to postponed games, got a just above average 3000 home fans. Probably not helped by a poor game against Gateshead.
Match day pricing and offers are a minefield and depends what you want from them.
16000 paying £2 (or £10) against 10000 paying £20. You might get more catering sales etc and a perhaps a better atmosphere.
The kids offer is probably one of a more long term strategy and is probably cost neutral. You lose some of the regular teenagers income but gain from adults (accompanying younger ones) paying their £20-24 and other income.

My post was more those comparing the free u18 tickets with County's £2 for all offer and how our pay what you want would be a better comparison.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 pm

Spiritater wrote:So is it an unrealistic figure to achieve eh? Let's face it it's FREE!! Conker.

Nobody suggested that, and soon as you start to pretend things have been said it’s a downward spiral for any debate.

Personally think anything that’s a improvement on the first free U18s is good enough, it’s only u18s.

Will ya tell JR to pack it in then if your targets are not met? What’s the POA?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 pm

I’m pretty sure they chucked home fans in the North stand against Gateshead, and sectioned a corner off for Gateshead.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby nobby +1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 am

i feel for kids like my grandson aged 8 saved his birthdays and xmas monies to get st next to grandad again and now not thought of with offers could they not have give voucher for shop or drink and chips just something
nobby +1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby 1tb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:35 am

On the official website it says you can get a refund

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2019 ... heltenham/
1tb
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:48 am

Conker wrote:

I’m pretty sure they chucked home fans in the North stand against Gateshead, and sectioned a corner off for Gateshead.

They did...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:59 am

It's great that we're arguing about 5000+ attendances not being satisfactory. In some ways it doesn't seem long since the days that 3000 was a pipe dream!

https://www.stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=479#&seasonid=11
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsForLIFE » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 pm

More people the better, hopefully these events kick start supporters of the stags for many years to come.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:19 pm

1tb wrote:On the official website it says you can get a refund

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2019 ... heltenham/

Not for season ticket holders though. As Nobby says a voucher for a drink and snack would sort this.

Personally not fussed as I expect offers for 3 games a season (don't think we did any last year).

Posted a lengthy email previously about the journey people need to be taken on in order to get them to either re-engage or become new to the club and convert them to season ticket holders given my own experience as we took advantage of the B.O.G.O.F offer as a way back into regularly attending a couple of seasons back.

These offers are needed to grow the fan base, get them hooked come back for the remainder of the season and then realise most cost effective way to attend is a season ticket the year after.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby nobby +1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:23 pm

no refunds for under 17 st holders ask same for Macclesfield mach
nobby +1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 pm

nobby +1 wrote:no refunds for under 17 st holders ask same for Macclesfield mach

How much did an U17 pay for a season ticket, yet you want a refund because the club dare to try to attract other youngsters to games? Unbelievable Jeff.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 pm

Spiritater wrote:They are slowly. But the fact that we struggle to attract fans in volume makes a mockery of us wanting to redevelop the Bish doesn't it.

Totally agree about Bishop Street as this is not needed at the moment and the hotel would bring in revenue, but I really don't understand how you can be disappointed with an increase of 1000 on the previous week's home attendance. We had as many home fans for Macclesfield as we did for the local derby against County. Compare past attendances for those 2 games and then tell me the free tickets were not a success in increasing the crowd numbers.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum