{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Amber & Blue song

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Amber & Blue song

Postby pemill » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Can't help thinking it would be good to get this song sung properly from the stands. It is noticeable more are joining in but shouldn't the club put the lyrics up on the scoreboard or place a lyrics sheet on each seat in the home end, maybe on one of those clapper things they've handed out previously - just a thought.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Re: Amber & Blue song

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 pm

It sounds good when people join in. Imagine it if a whole stand sang it without the music!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:18 pm

I think that's a great idea.

We need to play our part and ramp up the volume.

Let's get the stadium rocking, especially in time for the TV cameras.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:24 pm

The Florist Anthem (Mull of Kintyre) is sung with gusto and makes the hairs on the back of ones neck stand up. It's time our supporters tried to get this anthem of ours going... although I never sing the 'yellows, yellows' bit. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:28 pm

I honestly don't know all the words. Having them on the scoreboard is a good idea, but the blacked out bit might obscure a crucial word!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Excellent idea , I always sing it
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Spiritater wrote:The Florist Anthem (Mull of Kintyre) is sung with gusto and makes the hairs on the back of ones neck stand up. It's time our supporters tried to get this anthem of ours going... although I never sing the 'yellows, yellows' bit. ;)

Well if you're not going to sing all of it why will anyone else :lol: ? The lyrics are the lyrics.

Either need to get behind this or sweet Caroline.

Personally "attempt" to join in with both, we need to make it a fortress for the remainder of the season as the 12th man.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Always sing 'Mansfield, Mansfield' instead of the other thing
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:46 pm

At least your singing and making noise then, even if different lyrics :)
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Remember.....it's Blue and AMBER Army NOT Blue and Yellow Army.

The club colours are AMBER shirts with royal blue shorts.

AMBERS!! AMBERS!! AMBERS!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Too bloomin right Tippy. If we continue to embrace the yellow thing Carolyn will have us playing in a Brazil type strip like she wanted to do when she first arrived. Some wishy washy sky blue shorts and cat sick yellow shirts. :x I don't want to be associated with yellow. It's AMBER, THE FAMOUS AMBER, ALWAYS AMBER!!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:38 pm

My main gripe with the song is the end of it "Cos we're amber and BLUUUuuuUUUuuuUUUuuuuuuUUUUe" They should have listened back to it and re-recerded that bit because they can't hit that high a note. Not saying I could do better but now it sounds like a karaoke version.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 pm

My main gripe with it is, it's Elvis raspberrying Presley and it's a flipping dirge.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 pm

gazza1988 wrote:My main gripe with the song is the end of it "Cos we're amber and BLUUUuuuUUUuuuUUUuuuuuuUUUUe" They should have listened back to it and re-recerded that bit because they can't hit that high a note. Not saying I could do better but now it sounds like a karaoke version.

It is a karaoke version as I sang on it. :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Sneag wrote:My main gripe with it is, it's Elvis raspberrying Presley and it's a flipping dirge.

Steve has done great things for MTFC, punching Haslam being one, but this is criminal. We'd so mock anyone else who did this, a bit of me dies every time I hear it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 am

We cant be putting lyrics on the scoreboard or having lyric sheets like a karaoke.

Im sure they do that kind of stuff in the MLS and its embarrassing
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:My main gripe with it is, it's Elvis raspberrying Presley and it's a flipping dirge.

Steve has done great things for MTFC, punching Haslam being one, but this is criminal. We'd so mock anyone else who did this, a bit of me dies every time I hear it.

Sung well it is a brilliant song, and one which we could call our own, like Mull of Kyntyre, YNWA, Hi ho Sheffield Wednesday , Glad all over, etc. I remember the Liverpool game when we sang it, that did bring up the hairs on the back of your neck.
Sweet Caroline is for boxing.
Why would we mock anyone else for singing it?
What would be great at County is one of those giant flags going across the stand.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:51 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:

Sung well it is a brilliant song, and one which we could call our own, like Mull of Kyntyre, YNWA, Hi ho Sheffield Wednesday , Glad all over, etc. I remember the Liverpool game when we sang it, that did bring up the hairs on the back of your neck.
What would be great at County is one of those giant flags going across the stand.

Why?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:

Each to their own, it's all a matter of taste, not an Elvis fan personally and the song reminds me of a pub singer in a smoke filled room, singing in between gulps of brown ale and a drag on a Park Drive. Maybe it's my upbringing :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Dan wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:

Why?

Perhaps I should have made it clearer, it is associated with the big boxing events Dan, I just feel that Amber & Blue is very much our own and if sung well sounds great.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Rob wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:

Each to their own, it's all a matter of taste, not an Elvis fan personally and the song reminds me of a pub singer in a smoke filled room, singing in between gulps of brown ale and a drag on a Park Drive. Maybe it's my upbringing :lol:

You were brought up in smoke filled pubs Rob? :lol: I was brought up around miners welfares, and I never heard songs sung like that. Now the Dial/Market Hotel on Christmas eve is a different thing, and a real flavour of old Mansfield for me.
I don't think it matters if you don't like Elvis, its the song and the words that go with it.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amberheart » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Rob wrote:

A Giant flag would look awesome , I always envy the other teams fans that have them
Last time I remember us having one is Blackpool away 2003 ? A massive Amber & blue chequered flag that went missing in later years
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Here are the lyrics, from what I can work out...

When no one else can understand me (yellows, yellows)
When everything I do is wrong (yellows, yellows)
You give me hope and consolation (yellows, yellows)
You give me strength to carry on.
And (we're??) always there to lend a hand in everything I do
Cause' we're amber....we're amber and blue!

And when you score the world is brighter (yellows, yellows)
You put one in and I'm a king (yellows, yellows)
My club to me is worth a fortune (yellows, yellows)
(inaudible) to me is everything.
I guess I'll never know the reason why I love you like I do
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:55 pm

My club to me is everything.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby weststander » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm

ParisStag wrote:Here are the lyrics, from what I can work out...

When no one else can understand me (yellows, yellows)
When everything I do is wrong (yellows, yellows)
You give me hope and consolation (yellows, yellows)
You give me strength to carry on.
And (we're??) always there to lend a hand in everything I do

And when you score the world is brighter (yellows, yellows)
You put one in and I'm a king (yellows, yellows)
My club to me is worth a fortune (yellows, yellows)
(inaudible) to me is everything.
I guess I'll never know the reason why I love you like I do

Are you sure it's not a bit "70s" for you Paris stag? ;)
weststander
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum