{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags sign Willem Tomlinson

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags sign Willem Tomlinson

Postby Chadman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:02 pm

That's what comes of trying to find a Ben Turner photo while uploading that story on deadline day! :)
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby laneymtfc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Tomlinson has started todays reserve game, so has macca
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:For the first time ever we are an attractive proposition for players. We play football, we develop players "cast off" by the "Bigger boys" of football. Players look at CJ courting a £1m price tag. They see us 2nd with only 3 defeats. The see us having one of the meanest defences in English professional football. They see our new training facilities.

This tomlinson lad may not be quite the finished article but Bish won't be around forever, no matter how many times it seems he will be still playing at 50!

So much of that is down to Flitcroft.

Biggest is JR and money.

Of course, JR has been the one to pump money in for wages and training ground, which help massively, but the original post was about attracting players from higher divisions. They've had even better facilities and in some cases are already on big money, such as Walker. The draw that Flitcroft brings, that only he can (see previous managers), is development and coaching, as well as a great brand of football. Our league position helps, as Ben Turner alluded to. That too, is down to Flitcroft.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm

What about this new guy Greg Abbott I think his name is, who deals with the players DF wants. A lot of this might be down to him too. All great news for the Stags whoever signs em up. COYS
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:35 pm

To be fair to Exeter, there probably isn't a club in the lower leagues that is known for developing players in recent years more than they are - I think their academy has earned them over £5m in a few years, and Jayden Stockley has been bought and turned around for vast profit in addition to this. It's testament to the club and DF/JR/CR that he has chosen us over this development background.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:What about this new guy Greg Abbott I think his name is, who deals with the players DF wants. A lot of this might be down to him too. All great news for the Stags whoever signs em up. COYS

Id almost forgotten about him. I was wary when he came him that he may disrupt things, but he's going about his job quietly and in the background while Flitcroft deals with the on-field stuff.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:For the first time ever we are an attractive proposition for players. We play football, we develop players "cast off" by the "Bigger boys" of football. Players look at CJ courting a £1m price tag. They see us 2nd with only 3 defeats. The see us having one of the meanest defences in English professional football. They see our new training facilities.

This tomlinson lad may not be quite the finished article but Bish won't be around forever, no matter how many times it seems he will be still playing at 50!

Biggest is JR and money.

Of course, JR has been the one to pump money in for wages and training ground, which help massively, but the original post was about attracting players from higher divisions. They've had even better facilities and in some cases are already on big money, such as Walker. The draw that Flitcroft brings, that only he can (see previous managers), is development and coaching, as well as a great brand of football. Our league position helps, as Ben Turner alluded to. That too, is down to Flitcroft.

Walker is a poor example because he’s on that money whatever.

I think it helps but plays a small part, If Evans was managing another big spending L2 team and he came in for a few hundred more in all likelihood he would have signed for him and not Mansfield. Let’s not kid ourselves, remember the ridiculous quality he signed with Crawley?

You do get the odd exception, but ultimately you could still bring in the quality we have without DF but not without JR. Clearly players are enjoying it under DF though.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm

Dan wrote:
Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Just completed the jigsaw in my eyes to ensure there is cover when required through suspension or injury . Middlesborough manager Tony Mowbray highly rated him but he wasn't getting game time. States will be a championship player and will be courted if playing in league 1and. 2. The management team at the Stags look like they pipped Exeter to the post. LET THE GAMES COMMENCE AND THE BATTLES BEGIN.

Not been there for years ;)

Think you're telling porky pies, Dan!! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm

ParisStag wrote:

Maybe his Lancashire twang & charm were enough to tempt him down here?

No likey, no signey!!

I think we're at last becoming a club that is seen in the footballing echelons as a decent prospect for players - with a mix of shrewd investment and DF's coaching we might well be one of the 'go to' clubs for future talent in a few years?
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Lets hope the new lad is as good as Ben Whiteman.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Bit of a glimpse of Willems' potential. Scroll to 2:00 minutes in...

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Biggest is JR and money.

I think it helps but plays a small part, If Evans was managing another big spending L2 team and he came in for a few hundred more in all likelihood he would have signed for him and not Mansfield. Let’s not kid ourselves, remember the ridiculous quality he signed with Crawley?

You do get the odd exception, but ultimately you could still bring in the quality we have without DF but not without JR. Clearly players are enjoying it under DF though.

I'm saying money isn't a factor in the Walker deal or one's like it BECAUSE he's already on that wage. ie. there must be another attraction.

re Evans, he had a massive budget and couldn't get us up or playing anywhere near the way Flitcroft has us playing. Flicker is a top man-manager and has a great team spirit going. He's had it rough, having to deal with Evans' overpaid trouble makers, but it hasn't stopped him developing the likes of CJ, Walker, etc and building a great dressing-room togetherness. Credit where it's due.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Ironically Walker had Lincoln interestedbut we offered a better financial and location deal, I must say that he would have been better off here anyway due to DF style of play.

I don’t really understand why you wrote that paragraph, because I completely agree (bar the had it ‘rough’ he’s still be backed massively and done well with it but that’s not the point, the point is in all likelihood this lad would have probably come here even if Evans was the manager.

DF deserves every credit he’s getting, it’s the best football I have seen under Mansfield but I’m still gunna stay level headed. Even players turn down Pep down for Money (Sanchez)

It’s just how it is, unfortunately.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Biggest is JR and money.

I think you are underestimating the way players think. Yes money is part of it, but they consider other factors. One is whether the style of play fit in with their skills. Another big factor is whether they are likely to get on with the manager. Footballers talk to each other about experiences at other clubs. It has been said we tried to sign Jorge Grant at the beginning of the season but he chose to go to Luton. He was released and after talking to his mate TW he has joined us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm

There is maybe something about MTFC that in the past it has not been very a attractive and fashionable club to sign for and you cannot blame players preferring the likes of Luton who had gates of 6 to 7,000 even when in the conference etc.
JR of course with CR have changed the goal posts...excuse the pun... here and yes there is money but also a mission and infrastructure for the future and that's why they were keen on DF as he was part of that vision and really bought into it and we can now all see it coming to some sort of progress stage.

Astute business people like JR and CR always usually take lots of little steps and then get bigger accordingly.
I think Fatty Evans also saw something in the club and JR etc but could not handle it and is always looking for better and a way to ingratiate himself rather than look after the fortunes of a club, even those as loyal as MTFC were to him.

However, sadly, money will always be the deciding factor in most cases and u get what u pay for and it is nice to see us challenging both on the field and financially and if this is carried into League 1, if we make it, who knows after that!!
Last edited by tillydog123 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:39 pm

He choose Luton because they are a division above, I think you are highly overestimating it, and I agree all those factors have a small part but money is #1 thank you JR. :mansfield_till_i_die:
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Blackburn Stag » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:Wow! Most Blackburn fans seem to rate him - so will do for me. Well done yet again all concerned, Exeter fans are a little gutted too 8-) .

Welcome aboard Willem!

Heard nothing but positives about Willem when asking Rovers fans up here about him. Many are surprised he's come down to League 2 and would've liked to have seen him given more of a chance at Blackburn.
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby StagsForLIFE » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... ssion=true

Exeter Boss Matt Taylor on Tomlinson signing for us.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:36 pm

StagsForLIFE wrote:https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/exeter-citys-matt-taylor-missing-2520010.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Exeter Boss Matt Taylor on Tomlinson signing for us.

You cannot say fairer than that, no slagging us off, no slagging the player off, well done him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Looked promising off the bench today. Can certainly pick a pass, obviously a little nervous and hesitant to make a mistake so kept most of it simple but played some decent balls too. Also great tracking back and tackle after his mistake, looks like he could be a player.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 am

Can I just say... how good is this lad? Hes only 21, younger than Grant and seems a ready to go professional who at the side of bishop already looks a quality midfielder. Does all the simple things well and is just the midfielder we've needed for a while, now we've got two! Father & son :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am

Definitely going to be a fans favourite. Not only does he have quality shown in some of his passing, but also likes a tackle shown by his yellow card late on Saturday :D
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby mousemousemouse » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

Just what we need not only for the future, but for the run in to the end of the season. His vision seems to be topnotch, matched with passing as shown by that ball splitting the Cheltenhams midfield and Defence in two.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby pemill » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Looks another top signing by DF, I like what I've seen of him to date.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm

The lad is looking comfortable in his role and becoming very influential in the midfield, hope Bish can pass on some of his considerable experience.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum