{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Silkmen scorefred sponsored by Granty's pink boots

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Silkmen scorefred sponsored by Granty's pink boots

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 am

Conker wrote:Especially at home I would start CJ back up top in front of Ajose, if we get a lead you can always revert him back.

And drop Walker?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:53 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Conker wrote:Especially at home I would start CJ back up top in front of Ajose, if we get a lead you can always revert him back.

And drop Walker?

THAT ain’t gonna happen, now is it?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:00 am

And drop Walker?

No drop Ajose, Walker and Grant cannot be touched currently. Still would be harsh on Ajose but CJ is a star man.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:20 am

Don’t feel like Ajose gets enough credit. I think with him coming in on the same day as Grant it didn’t get as much fan fare but that was a top signing! He’s had 3 assists and a goal, and I’m sure that more will come.

He works hard, makes good runs that occupy defenders, has a good first touch and you can tell he’s desperate for more. We definitely look a better side with him on the pitch. Seen some people on Facebook saying he should be dropped for Rose and I couldn’t believe what I was reading!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 am

Ajose’s movement is creating the spaces for Grant et al. He’s a hard working player that doesn’t get the credit if he doesn’t score. He’s a quality addition and will get better the more he plays with our midfield and forwards. For me, he works the hardest of the 2/3 forwards and therefore I wouldn’t drop him.

Whilst I understand CJ playing a variety of positions, for me have him on the bench if he can’t play on the left. We seem to be shoehorning him in just to let him play. He’d be an awesome sub on that side after say an hour or so when legs are tiring.

RWB should be Jones starting, he’s a proper RWB and it showed when he came on.

It’s a squad game, play and utilize the squad. And I’m not knocking DF either, he’s done and is doing a wonderful job playing some of the best football I’ve seen for an age
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 am

I would expect Jones to start at Newport.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:12 pm

I rate Ajose but I’d still pick CJ being our own player upfront than him, just.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:20 pm

I would have subbed Tyler Walker yesterday as he was not having a good game. I thought Nicky Ajose was playing better than him and was unlucky to be subbed. However Tyler then pops up with a simple tap over the line at the end which is the sign of a true striker.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Madness that Tippy, Walker was always going to be the one to score.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:31 pm

I know Conker. It is a brave manager that subs his top scorer but if you were looking at it from the standpoint of who is playing better then arguably Nicky Ajose was having a better game. However Tyler has scored in quite a few games this season when he was not playing particularly well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I too would play CJ up top in place of Ajose and play Jones at RWB. I also thought Danny did very well when he came on.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Rob wrote:I too would play CJ up top in place of Ajose and play Jones at RWB. I also thought Danny did very well when he came on.

I would play Jones at RWB. It is a close call between Ajose & CJ, but right now I would keep starting with Ajose & Walker as the front two. CJ would make a great impact-sub for the last half an hour.

Walker has a habit of scoring late goals, so I wouldn't take him off!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I would have subbed Tyler Walker yesterday as he was not having a good game. I thought Nicky Ajose was playing better than him and was unlucky to be subbed. However Tyler then pops up with a simple tap over the line at the end which is the sign of a true striker.

Disagree, I thought Walker played well, certainly better than Ajose.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I know Conker. It is a brave manager that subs his top scorer but if you were looking at it from the standpoint of who is playing better then arguably Nicky Ajose was having a better game. However Tyler has scored in quite a few games this season when he was not playing particularly well.

Really? Walker went close with a deflected effort in the first half, he had a screamer of an effort turned over by the Macc keeper in the 2nd half, he was also on hand to turn home the loose ball to confirm our victory. He linked up well with Grant again and him and Ajose had a few nice moves between them.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Conker wrote:

And drop Walker?

No drop Ajose, Walker and Grant cannot be touched currently. Still would be harsh on Ajose but CJ is a star man.

Sorry, misunderstood the in front of. It is a lovely position to be in debating whether two players of that quality should start first. I think Ajose is providing something very different but an in-form Hamilton could provide a hell of an end to the season.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:41 pm

I did say arguably Nicky Ajose was having a better game :) I just thought Nicky Ajose was putting himself about a bit more. As someone else mentioned on here, Danny Rose made a difference when he came on because he started closing down the Macclesfield defenders and keeper. It is a good position to be in though when you have five good attacking players like Tyler Walker, CJ Hamilton, Danny Rose, Nicky Ajose and Jorge Grant to pick from.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Don't touch Grant, Walker, Ajose. Especially ajose for Hamilton (who is not a natural striker) Hamilton is out of form at the moment, for me he either plays left wing back or he doesn't play.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby spstag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Vice President wrote:
Rob wrote:I too would play CJ up top in place of Ajose and play Jones at RWB. I also thought Danny did very well when he came on.

I would play Jones at RWB. It is a close call between Ajose & CJ, but right now I would keep starting with Ajose & Walker as the front two. CJ would make a great impact-sub for the last half an hour.

Walker has a habit of scoring late goals, so I wouldn't take him off!

Totally agree with this,
CJ needs a rest imo and he's not a right wing back, jones came on and we immediately looked
More balanced down the right.... bring CJ on last 20 and run at the opposition.
Give him his confidence back which I think is lacking a bit of late.
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:39 pm

I would........leave it to DF. I trust him.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Yeah Rose did do well when he came on too, Christ I would love him to get a goal - it’s going to be off the bench in all likelyhood from now on but he could have a big impact.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:51 pm

A good 10 minute highlights package of Bury v Crawley with a nice equaliser from Ollie. Goals are from 7m 40s onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxiKOxzqbTQ
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:50 pm

I cannot remember having 10 chances on Saturday. 7 is probably also on the high side for the Silkmen.

Most Chances created this weekend in League Two

10 - Grimsby
10 - Mansfield
7 - Macclesfield

7 - Stevenage
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm

I made it 15 Tippy, including the 3 goals:

The Stags were ahead after 8 minutes with a goal from Jorge Grant, his 4th in the last 3 games, placing the ball left footed into the bottom right corner of the net from 11 yards after great work from Nicky Ajose to get in a shot from the right that was parried by the keeper.

Then a minute later, Hamilton’s throw-in found Walker who sent a left footed shot well wide.

Mansfield went close to scoring on 35 minutes when Grant’s free kick from 31 yards was just wide of the post, hitting the back stanchion. The free kick came after brilliant skill from Grant himself in the build-up to winning the free kick when Walker was fouled.

A minute later, a great move involving Mellis, and Tyler Walker’s shot was deflected wide with the keeper completely wrong-footed.

And straight away in the second half, a superb one-two between Hamilton and Grant on the right, with Hamilton’s on-target shot being blocked.

On 51 minutes, Grant won the ball and played to Bishop who found Walker on the right, whose cross-cum-shot was wide of the left post.

A minute later, Preston’s high ball forward presented a half-chance to Ajose who tried to head over the keeper but the keeper saved above his head.

On 57 minutes, the Stags were in front. Jorge Grant’s corner was controlled beautifully by the groin of Krystian Pearce to send the ball goalwards, Callum Evans tried to clear off the line, his clearance hit Fiacre Kelleher and rebounded back towards the net. Pearce claimed the goal, his first goal of the season, and if we’re being generous, which of course we are to “The Chief”, it might have flicked off him as it went in!

On 62 minutes, Hamilton laid off to Grant, who cut inside and his left footed shot was just wide of the right post.

On 64 minutes, Neal Bishop continued to surge forward despite being held back for a good 15 yards by powerful Macclesfield substitute Brice Ntambwe. The resulting free kick from 24 yards was fired over the bar by Grant.

On 72 minutes, Smith pouched a cross and got a break moving by bowling the ball out, which culminated in Tyler Walker’s great shot from 20 yards superbly tipped over the bar by keeper O’Hara.

On 81 minutes, Benning crossed from the left and Danny Rose headed well wide from the edge of the box.

On 84 minutes, Benning’s free kick floated into the box was held underneath his bar by the keeper.

And from the resulting corner, Mansfield sealed the game with another goal from a corner. Mal Benning’s corner from the right was headed down and goalwards by Matt Preston, it was half-blocked by sub Ryan Lloyd and might have been going in, but Tyler Walker took no chances and stabbed it over the line from 2 yards. Keeper O’Hara tried to save it but it was already a foot over the line before he pulled it back and the linesman immediately signalled the goal. Mansfield had a little bit of bad luck at Forest Green with a refereeing decision, but had a bit of good luck here, because Walker was a fraction offside as Preston headed the ball goalwards and therefore the goal should have been ruled out. No matter, it was Walker’s 20th goal of a fabulous season for him.

On 90+1 minutes, a long ball forward for Danny Rose, who got past one defender and shot at the keeper.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 pm

I'll give you 6 maybe 7 if you can count Chief's effort with his groin :lol:

Martin Shaw wrote:I made it 15 Tippy, including the 3 goals:

The Stags were ahead after 8 minutes with a goal from Jorge Grant, his 4th in the last 3 games, placing the ball left footed into the bottom right corner of the net from 11 yards after great work from Nicky Ajose to get in a shot from the right that was parried by the keeper.

Then a minute later, Hamilton’s throw-in found Walker who sent a left footed shot well wide.

Mansfield went close to scoring on 35 minutes when Grant’s free kick from 31 yards was just wide of the post hitting the back stanchion. The free kick came after brilliant skill from Grant himself in the build-up to winning the free kick when Walker was fouled.

A minute later, a great move involving Mellis, and Tyler Walker’s shot was deflected wide with the keeper completely wrong-footed.

And straight away in the second half, a superb one-two between Hamilton and Grant on the right, with Hamilton’s on-target shot being blocked.

On 51 minutes, Grant won the ball and played to Bishop who found Walker on the right, whose cross-cum-shot was wide of the left post.

A minute later, Preston’s high ball forward presented a half-chance to Ajose who tried to head over the keeper but the keeper saved above his head.

On 57 minutes, the Stags were in front. Jorge Grant’s corner was controlled beautifully by the groin of Krystian Pearce to send the ball goalwards, Callum Evans tried to clear off the line, his clearance hit Fiacre Kelleher and rebounded back towards the net. Pearce claimed the goal, his first goal of the season, and if we’re being generous, which of course we are to “The Chief”, it might have flicked off him as it went in!

On 62 minutes, Hamilton laid off to Grant, who cut inside and his left footed shot was just wide of the right post.

On 64 minutes, Neal Bishop continued to surge forward despite being held back for a good 15 yards by powerful Macclesfield substitute Brice Ntambwe. The resulting free kick from 24 yards was fired over the bar by Grant.

On 72 minutes, Smith pouched a cross and got a break moving by bowling the ball out, which culminated in Tyler Walker’s great shot from 20 yards superbly tipped over the bar by keeper O’Hara.

On 81 minutes, Benning crossed from the left and Danny Rose headed well wide from the edge of the box.

On 84 minutes, Benning’s free kick floated into the box was held underneath his bar by the keeper.

And from the resulting corner, Mansfield sealed the game with another goal from a corner. Mal Benning’s corner from the right was headed down and goalwards by Matt Preston, it was half-blocked by sub Ryan Lloyd and might have been going in, but Tyler Walker took no chances and stabbed it over the line from 2 yards. Keeper O’Hara tried to save it but it was already a foot over the line before he pulled it back and the linesman immediately signalled the goal. Mansfield had a little bit of bad luck at Forest Green with a refereeing decision, but had a bit of good luck here, because Walker was a fraction offside as Preston headed the ball goalwards and therefore the goal should have been ruled out. No matter, it was Walker’s 20th goal of a fabulous season for him.

On 90+1 minutes, a long ball forward for Danny Rose, who got past one defender and shot at the keeper.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 pm

they are all efforts on or off target. And hence "chances". I'm not saying they were good chances, but that's the problem with these stats, everyone has their own definition. That's why I don't quote the number of chances. I prefer to just describe the "good" chances for each side in my summary, and then "all chances" in the detailed report. And then you'll get all of the chances for each side in my "club highlights" on iFollow.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum