{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Silkmen scorefred sponsored by Granty's pink boots

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Silkmen scorefred sponsored by Granty's pink boots

Postby stagshead » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Prefer points to games in hand, so really happy with where we are.
stagshead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 88BenM » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Sweeney was guilty of being a footballer rather than a defender today. He was looking for the pass to feet instead of clearing his lines, it nearly cost us on a few occasions.
Smith made 2 if not 3, crucial saves at key moments in the game, I think he was in line to stop the rebound from the post at the end of the first half too, but Preston managed to block it beforehand.
Pearce had a great game again, a real leader. I'm not sure that his goal was actually his, it looked an own goal from where I sat but if the chief says it's his then it's his.
CJ was a continuation from Tuesday, he looks lost in his current position. He's much better when he is on the front foot, bursting into space, he is currently playing like he's scared to release himself as he will neglect his defensive role.
Bishop, wow. What a performance. This guy is 37 years old! He plays like a man 10 years his junior! He has got to be the best midfielder to pull on a Stags shirt in a generation. He's like Murray, but better.
Grant was on hand to score again, but he had a quieter game than he has had previously. He fights for every ball, I love that about him, he occasionally guilty of taking a touch too many but he is a class act, far too good for this level in general.
Ajose was running his socks off today without much reward. He needs to bag a goal in front of the QLE and reap the confidence that brings with it.
Walker is a predator. A league 2 predator. He pounces when you least expect it. Amazing that we have just ticked into February and he has got 20 goals already. It will be a brave man that bets against him making it 30.
Benning and Mellis had quiet but effective games. Jones looked good when he came on, won the corner for our 3rd goal. Rose looked hungry when he came on too, more of that please Danny.

Great day for the Stags today! It's becoming a regular Saturday experience.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Spot on that Ben.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Yet again we get the result when things didn't go exactly to plan. Macclesfield are a well drilled team who are better going forward than defending. Energy and effort basically cancelled each team out. They hit the post and had one cleared off the line. At 1-1 they missed a sitter but miss they did. We then sensed the time was right for the finale. Our goalie was brilliant today for his activity around the box when handling and throwing. Unorthodox keeping but a very good acquisition. We have a very good team here who are not afraid to concede a goal knowing they will score another. The Forest contingent is an absolute masterstroke. I'm with Chief I think this team is good enough for automatic promotion never mind playoffs. This is an anxious time for us all but enjoy and get behind the team. I heard several grumbles directed at our manager today when, 1-1. He is doing a phenomenal job at the mo and deserves our adulation not criticism. Off to Newport next week if you can go.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 pm

wink68 wrote:Like the look of Jones when he came on. Natural in the wingback position. Starts for me at Newport. Just what do we do with CJ then.

Rest him, he was poor today.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 pm

88BenM wrote:Sweeney was guilty of being a ...

Good summary, I agree. Although I thought Benning was far from quiet.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Spiritater wrote:
wink68 wrote:Like the look of Jones when he came on. Natural in the wingback position. Starts for me at Newport. Just what do we do with CJ then.

Rest him, he was poor today.

He hasn't been great for several games now. Seems to have lost a spark, but he still had his moments today. He needs to simplify his approach to the game. He looks like he's been told that he's a million pound player and can't cope with the concept.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:20 pm

Am i missing something? A player, whos only asset is an attacking pace and literally only 1 foot (left), is bring classed as poor playing right wing back.

Not long ago he was starting upfront against county, and scored 2 goals

Round peg, square hole.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagshead » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:23 pm

CJ is a team player and is doing what DF is asking him to do. He is playing out of his natural position but is doing it for the team. Of course he wants to score and be the hero but is willing to put the effort in to help the team. That is what DF has built into the team spirit and that is why we are going to continue to be great. Players are now willing to put the team before their own agenda knowing that that will make them look even better in the future. COYS
stagshead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby staffoni » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:28 pm

stagshead wrote:CJ is a team player and is doing what DF is asking him to do. He is playing out of his natural position but is doing it for the team. Of course he wants to score and be the hero but is willing to put the effort in to help the team. That is what DF has built into the team spirit and that is why we are going to continue to be great. Players are now willing to put the team before their own agenda knowing that that will make them look even better in the future. COYS

Completely agree with this!
staffoni
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:12 pm

The amount of times cj was in acres of spacd on the right and nobody gave him the ball.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:19 pm

6 minutes that interview all he said was they need to be cooler in both boxes, repeatedly. Oh and reckons Macclesfield should have been 5-1 up and out of sight if they took their chances properly.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:22 pm

Macclesfield created more chances against the Stags today than any other team has done at Field Mill this season. If they keep playing like that then they should avoid relegation. It was nice to see Mansfield scoring from two corners (woohoo!!) as we have generally been hopeless from corners for the last 4/5 seasons. Goals from set pieces can be so important. We did not play particularly very well but managed to win 3-1 which is the sign of a promotion winning side.

My MOM were Neal Bishop and Mal Benning.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:26 pm

gazza1988 wrote:6 minutes that interview all he said was they need to be cooler in both boxes, repeatedly. Oh and reckons Macclesfield should have been 5-1 up and out of sight if they took their chances properly.

TBF he said had Mansfield had the chances they had we would have won 5-1 & if you look at the stats he's probably right, we had 5 shots on target & converted 3, they had 4 & only converted 1. With better finishing they certainly could have been ahead at half time.

His two interviews on here, one seemed to have been recorded in a toilet & the other in the shower. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 pm

I think Sol might turn out to be a better manager than people expected. Macclesfield did try and play some decent football today. We struggled when they closed us down quickly higher up the pitch which was what Sol was trying to get them to do particularly in the 1st half. We struggled to get our passing going through midfield and ended up playing far more long balls forward than usual.

I still think CJ Hamilton is wasted at right wing back. He is our second top scorer. We need to play him further forward and ideally down the left.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:00 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think Sol might turn out to be a better manager than people expected. Macclesfield did try and play some decent football today. We struggled when they closed us down quickly higher up the pitch which was what Sol was trying to get them to do particularly in the 1st half. We struggled to get our passing going through midfield and ended up playing far more long balls forward than usual.

I still think CJ Hamilton is wasted at right wing back. He is our second top scorer. We need to play him further forward and ideally down the left.

Switch CJ to LWB and Jones in at RWB,whilst I am a big fan of Mel he invariably checks back and passes back rather than get down the wing and put in a good cross, Mel got caught out of position and struggled to get back a few times yesterday, I think he looks like he needs a rest
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:13 am

staffoni wrote:
stagshead wrote:CJ is a team player and is doing what DF is asking him to do. He is playing out of his natural position but is doing it for the team. Of course he wants to score and be the hero but is willing to put the effort in to help the team. That is what DF has built into the team spirit and that is why we are going to continue to be great. Players are now willing to put the team before their own agenda knowing that that will make them look even better in the future. COYS

Completely agree with this!

When CJ was on the right wing he struggled to beat their left back but he did keep him busy , when CJ swapped wings Their left back got a lot further up the field and Macclesfield looked a lot more threatening.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 am

gazza1988 wrote:6 minutes that interview all he said was they need to be cooler in both boxes, repeatedly. Oh and reckons Macclesfield should have been 5-1 up and out of sight if they took their chances properly.

yes, he did repeat, however it was refreshing not to have the losing manager berating officials for making them lose by bad or odd decisions, or criticise the opposition for their bully boy/negative/play acting attitudes, and for the most part, it could have been DF speaking earlier in the season when we were drawing all the time.
if sol can turn that bunch of players into the team that played yesterday from the rabble that he took over, then there's no telling what he could achieve with a decent squad and a good budget, good luck to him.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:34 am

Certainly not the worst side that has come here this season. Miles better than County. Think Macclesfield will stay up
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:34 am

Fair play to Sol, his team lacks quality but he's trying to get them playing. I can only think of a few teams who have come to FM and looked as dangerous as them coming forward on the ball.

Hope they stay up.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am

Especially at home I would start CJ back up top in front of Ajose, if we get a lead you can always revert him back.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby StagR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:43 am

In my opinion, the reason it is difficult to slot in “million pound” C J is that Mal Benning has had a cracking season and therefore playing C J at left wing back has not happened. All credit to Mal - for many seasons, the position of Left (Wing) Back has been a problem for us. Not currently. Also really liked the look of Gethin Jones over on the right.
StagR
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:49 am

He’s not far off tbf. They could have been at least two in front by half time, but they couldn’t hit a barn door.....so didn’t deserve to be. I like the football they play though and wouldn’t mind them escaping this season.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 am

pemill wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think Sol might turn out to be a better manager than people expected. Macclesfield did try and play some decent football today. We struggled when they closed us down quickly higher up the pitch which was what Sol was trying to get them to do particularly in the 1st half. We struggled to get our passing going through midfield and ended up playing far more long balls forward than usual.

Switch CJ to LWB and Jones in at RWB,whilst I am a big fan of Mel he invariably checks back and passes back rather than get down the wing and put in a good cross, Mel got caught out of position and struggled to get back a few times yesterday, I think he looks like he needs a rest

Mel !!!
Anyway, no chance Mal is being replaced. Best LWB in league 2. I like Jones though, he looks good.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum