{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Anderson contract cancelled by mutual accord

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Anderson contract cancelled by mutual accord

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:57 pm

Conker wrote:Some bizarre comments on here considering he always gave his all when he did play.

Can’t blame him earning so much, good on him in fact.

You saw a very different Anderson to the one I did then, the one I saw was pretty ineffective, can't even tell you where his best position is and all I really remember is his ridiculous beard and the fact that our manager, who has done an outstanding job, didn't rate him. Glad he's gone, really sorry we ever signed him, a complete and utter waste of club resources.

You say good on him for earning so much, as a fan I say imagine what we could have done with the money we paid him for basically doing naff all.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:Some bizarre comments on here considering he always gave his all when he did play.

You saw a very different Anderson to the one I did then, the one I saw was pretty ineffective, can't even tell you where his best position is and all I really remember is his ridiculous beard and the fact that our manager, who has done an outstanding job, didn't rate him. Glad he's gone, really sorry we ever signed him, a complete and utter waste of club resources.

You say good on him for earning so much, as a fan I say imagine what we could have done with the money we paid him for basically doing naff all.

This
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:04 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Anyone care to explain what happened now between Anderson and Flitcroft.

PM if it’s too soon.

Done
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:34 pm

The One wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Paul Anderson is probably one of the highest paid players to play for the Stags.

He will definitely have another deal lined up. I expect him to sign for another club tomorrow.

Thanks TTF when i said 6 k a week people scoffed

I would have thought £6k was on the high side. I would have guessed £3,500-£4,000 per week.

The feedback regarding Paul Anderson was that DF thought he was a bad/disruptive influence and someone who could not be trusted. There have also been rumours of a bust up at the end of last season between DF and Anderson and Diamond. Probably no different to the bust up between Coxy and George Pilkington at half time at Gateshead. Senior players can often voice their opinion in dressing rooms but it can cause problems. Chris Waddle has talked about this before. DF probably thought Anderson and Diamond were "rocks" who were not willing to take on board his ideas. What DF wanted was "sponges" - players who were prepared to buy into his philosophy The old school approach by managers in this situation is just to freeze out the players concerned and make them train on their own or play with the reserves/youth team; or come in on a Saturday/Sunday morning for training on their own. I read Steve Hodge's autobiography and Howard Wilkinson did this to him at Leeds. Keith Curle did it to Billy Paynter at Carlisle. It is difficult for fans to work out who to believe. Steve Evans did it to Matt Green. Suddenly there were rumours of Greeny being a bad egg and a bad influence on the dressing room (and worse) which were probably motivated by Evans wanting to get rid of him. He probably did not like the fact that Greeny was a Stags legend and popular with fans.

It must be very difficult and frustrating for JR and Carolyn to manage and the only real option is to support the manager. However if DF gets us up then there are no arguments about who was right or wrong. I listened to an interview with Nathan Jones on D3D4 and he said he was not prepared to buy any problem players as he did not have time as a manager to sort them out. He was probably going along with DF's idea that managers need "sponges" and have no time for "rocks" because managers can end up getting the sack very quickly.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 am

The One wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Anyone care to explain what happened now between Anderson and Flitcroft.

PM if it’s too soon.

Done

Could you PM me too please?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 am

Can you PM me as well? :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 am

and me cheers lol
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Stafford » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am

And me, thanks.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:28 am

And me :P
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:56 am

And me ;)

Shame, I liked the guy, met him in person - very intelligent, came across as switched on and good natured. Thought he had a good start but fizzled out. This guy is a complete legend at Forest and Ipswich so things must’ve been really bad. Also can see it in DFs nature to freeze someone out for nothing.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:23 am

Tawnystag wrote:And me ;)

Shame, I liked the guy, met him in person - very intelligent, came across as switched on and good natured. Thought he had a good start but fizzled out. This guy is a complete legend at Forest and Ipswich so things must’ve been really bad. Also can see it in DFs nature to freeze someone out for nothing.

That’s not true. My mate is a massive Tractor Boy and messaged me the day we signed him to tell me we had signed an absolute lemon. Seems he was right.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 am

Rob wrote:

Agreed Rob.
Anderson was a massive mistake, just another one of Evans bad signings. There are lads in reserves more worthy of a spot in the first team than him, passion, commitment, desire and a willingness to learn/buy into the managers philosophies are as key an attribute as talent. DF knows this and his a good manager, hence more young,hungry lads on the bench and playing, some on a tenth of Anderson’s wage. Saw Anderson up at RH training a couple of times, zero interest being there and as soon as session done, he was straight in the car. Not a bye to any of the coaches/youth team players/just zero interest in MTFC

We learn (costly error) but now have freed up more for wages in the future, I totally trust that if DF wanted to splash out 4K a week on a player it would be to sign a Jorge grant type player and would not be wasted money. Glad Anderson/diamond/butcher/Evans et al are now all in the past
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:25 am

Rob wrote:

Christ all I said is he gave his all, do you think he didn’t put 100% effort in? I never mentioned if he’s ineffective or not. I’ve been wanting him gone for ages to free up some much needed wages (our budget must be way to big)

I do say good on him for earning so much, would I rather he managed to leave last summer and we had more money to play with? Yes but it’s not his fault Evans AND the Radfords clearly gave him a ridiculous contract.

Probably best to let the Radfords off with that one though, before any of you mardy lot get all upset for daring to criticise
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 am

Those asking for PM's, all the information is in this thread. Him and Diamond tried to stage a 'revolt' and Flitcroft wanted them out. That's all the story is, no further details etc.

Glad to see the back of him, useless on the pitch and draining our resources. Him and Butcher leaving on the same day was like a dream.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:38 am

I bet Paul Anderson ends up at Notts County
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I bet Paul Anderson ends up at Notts County

The abuse he'd get would be monumental.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 am

Sounds similar to what I heard. I used to work with one of his best mates, the only thing he would officially say to me was Anderson didn’t want to drop to league 2 until he was told what we were offering. So can’t blame the lad for staying around when he wasn’t wanted, not his fault that we agreed to pay him more than anyone else.
Edit. I should probably add he was also motivated by the ‘promotion project’!

I also got the impression that any disagreement with DF was ‘honest’ in that he wanted the club promoted, but if you fall out with the manager in football and they don’t go they are going to want rid of you sooner or later.
Last edited by Jimstag on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am

Thought in general he did OK, shame it has ended this way.

We will probably never know what the problem was.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:13 pm

All of this stuff in this thread aside, Anderson was just a bit rubbish.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 pm

It's not his fault her eearned so much money... I'll leave that down to the then manager and unfortunately the owners on this occasion.

We should only ever pay them kinda wages for players who we can earn money back from. Not thirty year old has beens.

Least this entire episode is over now and hopefully we have learned a costly lesson.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Really glad this Anderson debacle has been sorted, we can move on now from Evans's big budget transfers. David Flitcroft has done a great job of rebuilding the team and we can only hope that come May, we can gain promotion to League 1 where hopefully we can persuade our loan players to stay, they all seem to love playing this exciting brand of football.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Those asking for PM's, all the information is in this thread. Him and Diamond tried to stage a 'revolt' and Flitcroft wanted them out. That's all the story is, no further details etc.

Glad to see the back of him, useless on the pitch and draining our resources. Him and Butcher leaving on the same day was like a dream.

If true, and I've zero reason to believe it isn't, then I think DF managed it extremely well. Drop and cut ties with a player. There were no media dramas or calling him out. But can't have a player thinking they're bigger than the manager. Set's a great example
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dazstag » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:45 pm

if this is true it is no surprise we struggled at the end of last season!
dazstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 am

Not the worst signing we ever made and did have some attributes but like Diamond, although he was injured, never really bought into the new era dream.

Wish him well, decent player for another club.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum