{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Welcome to Jordan Smith

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Welcome to Jordan Smith

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Forest season ticket holder I know said he’s quality at most stuff..shot stopping, distribution kicking etc but is suspect on crosses and flaps a bit hence why he’s not playing for them...

I’m confident in Flitters coaching ability to improve him and we could have a good keeper on our hands.
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Stafford » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Several Forest fans I work with are saying he should never have been taken out their team and he's a great signing. Made one howler, as all keepers do, and got dropped, apparently.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Spoke to forest fans at work and they said hes a good shot stopper and has good distribution but it all falls apart at crosses. He is one of those keepers who will come for crosses but doesn't collect the cross and just aims to get a touch on it. A few times a one-handed keeper probably could have caught the cross but he just tips it away. If he can sort that out of his game he would probably be first choice at forest.

One said he has had a few howlers butt by extension he's saved shots even the Forest fans thought were certain goals. He would save shot after shot after shot witha bit of flair and then out of nowhere would somehow let a simple goal in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:00 am

Will he start today?
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 am

I’ve heard he’s class. Way too good for league 2, so imo we’ve done well to get him. There aren’t many keepers that are great on crosses either, so I won’t hold that against him. Even premier league keepers have weaknesses!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:58 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Judge him on what he does for us rather than anyone else.

I'm sure you'll completely fail to see the irony of that :lol:

Woe betide him if he makes an error though, Stagsnet is not short of a player basher or keeping expert!
Last edited by Rob on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Some people just don't seem to accept that if a keeper has all 3/4 key attributes a keeper needs, they don't play L2 level.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Rob wrote:

Woe betide him if he makes an error though, Stagsnet is not short of a player basher or keeping expert!

EVERYONE’S an expert, Rob :)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Rob wrote:

I assume you’re referring to my opinion on Logan, which has been wholly based on how’s he played for us...

My opinion also seems to be shared by the manager who has now brought in 2 different goalkeepers within a month of the injury to Olejnik.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

I assume you’re referring to my opinion on Logan, which has been wholly based on how’s he played for us...

My opinion also seems to be shared by the manager who has now brought in 2 different goalkeepers within a month of the injury to Olejnik.

It’s more of an obsession than an opinion
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

That proves nothing. It is perfectly understandable to bring in a second keeper. Lean got injured. That’s all
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:42 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

You have been blatantly unfair on Logan on his recent performances, in my opinion of course :lol:

Logan is a decent League 2 keeper who has rarely let us down. I'll take Smith making as few errors as Logan has.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Smith starts despite having only signed Thursday. Think that says it all really.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Smith starts despite having only signed Thursday. Think that says it all really.

Agree with your posts above. He doesn’t fancy Logan in my opinion. Anyway, here’s hoping Smith has a strong start, really important that the team and fans aren’t doubting him from the start!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Bit of a gamble to throw him in, will he have the understanding with the defence so quickly? Kick in the teeth for Logan.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm

1970Stag wrote:Bit of a gamble to throw him in, will he have the understanding with the defence so quickly? Kick in the teeth for Logan.

I would have been very surprised if Smith hadn't started, no way would Forest loan him to us to sit on the bench.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:29 pm

I think it’s a massive kick in the teeth for Logan. What’s he done to warrant being dropped ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I think it’s a massive kick in the teeth for Logan. What’s he done to warrant being dropped ?

Totally agree.
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag95 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Very shakey start from him but he got better as the game went on. Definitely needs a couple of games to get up to speed.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I think it’s a massive kick in the teeth for Logan. What’s he done to warrant being dropped ?

Its the gaffers choice ,no disputing he knows his players
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Yep nervous start but improved as the game went on. One good save in the second half.

Not seen their goal back but it looked like it went through him. It was a one on one to be fair so you wouldn’t expect a save but he may feel he could’ve done better. May be wrong as I say as I haven’t seen a replay.

Also very lucky not to give a penalty away early on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:37 pm

He made a huge save second half - the only positive, game changing play of the game for us.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Eric steele once said to me Goalkeepers used to get away with not being the fittest, but in the modern game if they're not fit or overweight then they straight away can't play to their full potential and its not good enough.

shame Logan isn't Mart Poom, Eric & Derby had to tell David lloyds to not let him in because he was doing too much gym work after training :lol: :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 am

I would have stuck with Conrad Logan yesterday as he has not made any errors that would justify dropping him and our record has been pretty good since his return in goal WWDWL. We were also already having to make one change due to Neal Bishop's suspension. Also, how many training sessions would Jordan Smith have had with our defence? However some fans were pointing out that perhaps it is part of the loan deal that he has to play.

Jordan looked nervy at the start yesterday and could have given away a penalty early on. Could he also have done better with Yeovil's goal as the ball was pretty close to him? I think some fans would be having a go at Conrad for letting the shot past him. Conrad is generally a good shot stopper. Jordan did make a good save in the 2nd half.

His long distance kicking is not as good as Conrad's. He was struggling to get the ball over the halfway line in the 1st half. If Conrad had been in goal then he would certainly have been booming a few balls into Yeovil's area late on. We probably would not have scored though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:50 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Kean was just back up.

The new keeper had a shaky start not helped by the windy conditions and poor defending. He made a couple of decent saves and couldn't be faulted for the goal. A lot of criticism of Logan is his distribution, but I don't think the new keepers distribution was any better. Perhaps the wind didn't help, and we shouldn't judge on one game. I don't think Logan was the main concern in the team. I think it is the lack of a second striker. Hopefully that will be addressed this January transfer window.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum