{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Makes you wonder .... Carlisle flooding 2 years ago

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Makes you wonder .... Carlisle flooding 2 years ago

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:01 pm

At Carlisle last Saturday, we parked in the club car park (a field about 25 steps below the level of the entrance to the ground. There was similar low ground beyond the ground on the town side.

How the heck did the flooding a couple of years ago leave the pitch under 6 feet of water? !!

It must have been a flood of biblical proportions!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Makes you wonder ....

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 pm

To be fair it was biblical
Last edited by Stags 2002 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:09 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:At Carlisle last Saturday, we parked in the club car park (a field about 25 steps below the level of the entrance to the ground. There was similar low ground beyond the ground on the town side.

How the heck did the flooding a couple of years ago leave the pitch under 6 feet of water? !!

Television broke again or is it a ‘slow news’ week in Edwinstowe?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:24 pm

It’s the only river down from the mountains, water gets tunnelled into a small river, it floods. Simple
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:42 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:At Carlisle last Saturday, we parked in the club car park (a field about 25 steps below the level of the entrance to the ground. There was similar low ground beyond the ground on the town side.

Television broke again or is it a ‘slow news’ week in Edwinstowe?

Oh you cynic!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:19 pm

adamstag wrote:It’s the only river down from the mountains, water gets tunnelled into a small river, it floods. Simple

Small rivers are notorious for spate flooding. I've been down the Maun in a deluge and watched the river rise 5-6 feet inside 3 hours near the sewage works, frightening stuff. Because it's in a valley it poses no problem. But it did in the past before the tunnels were driven beneath the town. I remember in the 60's the Market Place being flooded and a chap canoeing up Bridge St.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Spiritater wrote:
adamstag wrote:It’s the only river down from the mountains, water gets tunnelled into a small river, it floods. Simple

Small rivers are notorious for spate flooding. I've been down the Maun in a deluge and watched the river rise 5-6 feet inside 3 hours near the sewage works, frightening stuff. Because it's in a valley it poses no problem. But it did in the past before the tunnels were driven beneath the town. I remember in the 60's the Market Place being flooded and a chap canoeing up Bridge St.

Yeah there’s pictures of that in one of the pubs but can’t remember which, maybe the bridge (given its next to the river)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Re: Makes you wonder .... Carlisle flooding 2 years ago

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm

There were blue bands on the trees at about 5 feet off the ground which marked the height of the flood on the main road.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:41 am

adamstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Yeah there’s pictures of that in one of the pubs but can’t remember which, maybe the bridge (given its next to the river)

This picture and others used to be in old ram which suffered badly in these floods
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm

robeyre wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

This picture and others used to be in old ram which suffered badly in these floods

It’s no so long ago that Pleasley was under three feet of flood water. It caused £30 worth of damage ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Makes you wonder .... Carlisle flooding 2 years ago

Postby Lick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am

Lick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum