{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Terracing

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Terracing

Postby adamstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Random Hero wrote:
part time pete wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:I,m in my 50s and I for one remember the days of standing and to be honest I would love the choice to stand if and when I want to. My son is 22 and very tall so sitting squashed up in a plastic seat for nearly two hours is not his idea of fun . Standing gives you an option to also move away from certain loadmouthed idiots who can ruin your day when sat next to you.

But that is the problem with safe standing, it does not mean you can move away from loudmouths.

With safe standing you are allocated a ‘seat’ with the seat tipped up and you stand with a rail in front of you. You just can’t roam about anymore that you can roam about at present in the Upper West Stand.

I don't get what your point is. You sit with your mates at the moment don't you, in a seat of your choosing (albeit allocated)? Surely under this system it's exactly the same, only you stand with your mates instead?!

You're also presuming that there would be no spare 'seats' available to move to. Which lets be honest, happens about once every two seasons at Stags. Which is exactly the same as under the current system. If anything it would be easier to move away than it is at present.

Even the "spirit of Shankley" a fans group for Liverpool were largely in favour of rail-standing.

Given their experience, if Liverpool fans are in favour of it I think it's pretty obvious the vast majority would welcome it
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Random Hero wrote:
part time pete wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:I,m in my 50s and I for one remember the days of standing and to be honest I would love the choice to stand if and when I want to. My son is 22 and very tall so sitting squashed up in a plastic seat for nearly two hours is not his idea of fun . Standing gives you an option to also move away from certain loadmouthed idiots who can ruin your day when sat next to you.

But that is the problem with safe standing, it does not mean you can move away from loudmouths.

With safe standing you are allocated a ‘seat’ with the seat tipped up and you stand with a rail in front of you. You just can’t roam about anymore that you can roam about at present in the Upper West Stand.

I don't get what your point is. You sit with your mates at the moment don't you, in a seat of your choosing (albeit allocated)? Surely under this system it's exactly the same, only you stand with your mates instead?!

You're also presuming that there would be no spare 'seats' available to move to. Which lets be honest, happens about once every two seasons at Stags. Which is exactly the same as under the current system. If anything it would be easier to move away than it is at present.

I think his point is regarding the way the system works, people assume it would be like the standing sections at current league two away grounds, when it is slightly different.

Obviously in our current situation it would be pretty easy to move around but it is only the same as sitting. If you're next to a 'loudmouth idiot', you can just move now...
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Personally I would love to see the Bishop Street stand redeveloped one day. Is it urgent? No because we only muster 4k a game but when we do, I hope it is for safe standing.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:Personally I would love to see the Bishop Street stand redeveloped one day. Is it urgent? No because we only muster 4k a game but when we do, I hope it is for safe standing.

yeah but we might be able to sign better players if we redeveloped it :lol: :roll:

I'm all for safe standing, have Shrewsbury got theirs yet because I know they were pining for it?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:43 pm

'Safe' standing my arse, standing has always been safe.
It's just more nanny state idiocy.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

sw19stag wrote:'Safe' standing my arse, standing has always been safe.
i
It wasnt safe in the 90s ,believe you me i have stood on the terracing on hampden with nearly 100 ,0000 scots ,sorry we must move on
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm

I am all for standing. The view from the terrace of the West Stand towards the Quarry Lane End was the greatest view an adolescent and teenager could ever have. Though seating must be made available for families that is comfortable and affordable with a great view. Not just a token section on the end of a Stand for families, the elderly etc (not the cramped Haslam seats of the upper west).

Would the ground possibly require a significant redesign and refurbishment to accommodate safe standing? Who would fund it and will the crowds fill it? Because the adage of ‘Build it and they will come’ doesn’t apply to football grounds. Just ask any Darlington fan.

In reality the Bishop Street Stand in its current guise, with the ‘Mr Ben the Shopkeeper door’ half way along will stay for the foreseeable and near future.

Though what would happen to the chant of ‘Stand up if you hate (non-league) Spireites’?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:17 pm

If & when the Bishop Street side gets done it could be used for away fans freeing up the North Stand again for Stags supporters .
Away fans can then enter/ leave the ground via Bishop Street by car or bus .
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Personally I’d rather Bishop St be done properly when the time comes for it, A stand which could make money with executive boxes etc. Terracing should be behind the goal if it’s ever going to be looked at introducing.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Personally I’d rather Bishop St be done properly when the time comes for it, A stand which could make money with executive boxes etc. Terracing should be behind the goal if it’s ever going to be looked at introducing.

Do it like Luton do.

There’s clearly no need for extra capacity seat wise, maximise potential
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:00 pm

spanishstag wrote:
sw19stag wrote:'Safe' standing my arse, standing has always been safe.
i
It wasnt safe in the 90s ,believe you me i have stood on the terracing on hampden with nearly 100 ,0000 scots ,sorry we must move on

I suppose given that Bishop St has such little depth, any terracing will be reasonably safe. It's not as though there will be rows of thousands of fans .... more like about 8 steps - and people wouldn't be fenced in either.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 pm

I used to love standing. In the old west stand you could run up and down the west stand, have a little kick around at half time using empty bottles/bovril cup. For seating you ideally need a bit of space more than anything, There is no room.

You literally need to stand for 45 minutes, have a 15 minute break and then another 45 minutes.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02 am

gazza1988 wrote:I used to love standing. In the old west stand you could run up and down the west stand, have a little kick around at half time using empty bottles/bovril cup. For seating you ideally need a bit of space more than anything, There is no room.

You literally need to stand for 45 minutes, have a 15 minute break and then another 45 minutes

So, if say a thousand people go in there to stand and watch the game, a thousand seats need to be provided for them to "have a 15 minute break".
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:46 am

When it gets done it'll be a tiny stand... probably 4 rows and smaller than Accrington's newest stand. Theres hardly any room for much a structure down that side of the ground.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Move the pitch 5 meters towards the west stand, take out 2/3 rows of the west stand, incorporate the technical area in to it, thus allowing a good depth for a small seated stand with boxes behind for Bishop street
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:When it gets done it'll be a tiny stand... probably 4 rows and smaller than Accrington's newest stand. Theres hardly any room for much a structure down that side of the ground.

There's actually a bit more room than you'd think. I used to stand in there for many years and I think if they flattened it, build the dugouts on the West into the seating area and moved the pitch a few more yards over towards the West then I think a stand similar to the newish one at Macclesfield could be built. If you remember, our mate Haslam had some plans drawn up.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 pm

I thought we are going the other way and building executive suites with beds and calling it an hotel
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Big yella wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I used to love standing. In the old west stand you could run up and down the west stand, have a little kick around at half time using empty bottles/bovril cup. For seating you ideally need a bit of space more than anything, There is no room.

You literally need to stand for 45 minutes, have a 15 minute break and then another 45 minutes

So, if say a thousand people go in there to stand and watch the game, a thousand seats need to be provided for them to "have a 15 minute break".

It's been a while but aren't there steps people can sit on? Fairly sure terracing is essentially a massive set of stairs that go nowhere. Anyway that's what people who wanted to sit down used to do.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Big yella wrote:

It's been a while but aren't there steps people can sit on? Fairly sure terracing is essentially a massive set of stairs that go nowhere. Anyway that's what people who wanted to sit down used to do.

My comment was meant tounge in cheek. It should of had an emoji with it but it takes me ages to hit the right one on my phone, so I didn't bother. Sorry it didn't come over as intended.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum