{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Terracing

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Terracing

Postby Vice President » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Standing is a backward step. We should look to the future rather than the past.
Standing was fine in the 1970's/80's (and so were muddy pitches, toilet rolls thrown on the pitch, a more amateurish game, and zero communications) ........ but time has moved on. Maybe we could incorporate a standing terrace in a new Bishop st. if finance is the issue, Otherwise seating has to be the better option.

That said - if the only way we could redevelop Bishop St. was with terracing, then so be it - bring it on.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 pm

PRL13 wrote:I would never stand on a terrace again!

You sound like so much fun

You won’t ever go to an away game again in case you get crushed and you won’t stand on a terrace.

Are you sure lower league football is for you? I think you’d be better suited to the Pamper Premier League with padded seats and extra leg room.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:42 am

Vice President wrote:Standing is a backward step. We should look to the future rather than the past.
Standing was fine in the 1970's/80's (and so were muddy pitches, toilet rolls thrown on the pitch, a more amateurish game, and zero communications) ........ but time has moved on. Maybe we could incorporate a standing terrace in a new Bishop st. if finance is the issue, Otherwise seating has to be the better option.

That said - if the only way we could redevelop Bishop St. was with terracing, then so be it - bring it on.

Why is it a backwards step? A lot of us like standing and prefer it to seats. It doesn't have to be unsafe.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am

Bradders wrote:
Vice President wrote:Standing is a backward step. We should look to the future rather than the past.

Why is it a backwards step? A lot of us like standing and prefer it to seats. It doesn't have to be unsafe.

I agree, it's a matter of choice and if there is a demand to stand at a football match then as long as it is safe fans should be allowed to choose to. If we had a covered, terraced Bishop St, I'd use it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am

PRL13 wrote:I would never stand on a terrace again!

I wish i could only stand on a terrace again.

I loath sitting down every week at the Mill.

I understand why seating was enforced, but with the new seat/standing options available i hope this is rolled out asap.
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am

I think it's only ever a small minority who like standing. If we redeveloped the Bish tomorrow into a terrace, there would be 300 in it MAX. Every one else would stay where they are, sat down watching the game comfortably.

I bet the average age of a fans calling for standing is also well over 40... no one else cares. Just a few oldies who remember how great it was back in the day. That day has gone.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 am

Jamie wrote:I think it's only ever a small minority who like standing. If we redeveloped the Bish tomorrow into a terrace, there would be 300 in it MAX. Every one else would stay where they are, sat down watching the game comfortably.

I bet the average age of a fans calling for standing is also well over 40... no one else cares. Just a few oldies who remember how great it was back in the day. That day has gone.

Well I can speak for my eldest son, who is much younger than you, who would prefer to stand, so your anti-oldie theory is wrong ;) I do take your point though, one solution could be a modern version of the old stand with both terrace and seating .... In fact safe standing would allow that too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:33 am

It’s alright Jamie won’t use it so it’s a bad idea.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 am

I,m in my 50s and I for one remember the days of standing and to be honest I would love the choice to stand if and when I want to. My son is 22 and very tall so sitting squashed up in a plastic seat for nearly two hours is not his idea of fun . Standing gives you an option to also move away from certain loadmouthed idiots who can ruin your day when sat next to you.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

Jamie wrote:I think it's only ever a small minority who like standing. If we redeveloped the Bish tomorrow into a terrace, there would be 300 in it MAX. Every one else would stay where they are, sat down watching the game comfortably.

Think you are miles off there Jamie. Have you not seen the support for safe standing in the UK? It's come from all sorts of age groups and has attracted huge numbers hence the government debating it and Shrewsbury Town installing it.

Standing is popular in the country, the remaining terraces in the Football League are packed with fans of all ages.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:51 am

People only like sitting because its cold and we don't have many fans. Whenever we're packed in, like at big away games, people automatically stand. It feels better. It's the same at Premier league grounds, you often get a lot of standing.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 am

Wow Jamie, i'm so glad you know Exactly who would use it, how many would use it and the age of the people who would use it!

I have 3 strapping sons, the oldest of which is 28 who would love a terraced standing area, and trust me i alone know of probably 50-60 people who would also love a terraced area, but we bow to your superior and arrogant knowledge oh wise one :roll: :roll: :roll:
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:26 am

I would say the majority prefer to stand. You do not need to be over 40 to remember terracing at all, in fact a large number of away games there is a standing option that is well utilised by stags fans this very season.
In a way I think standing would also be a safer option than what we currently have where many stand in 'all seated' areas of the ground.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 am

Jamie being miles from the truth shocker :lol:

I think the vast majority of fans WOULD PREFER to stand given the choice.

It's a no brainer which one I choose when given the option.

I appreciate there should always be a seating area for those less able etc etc, but standing is much more preferable to most.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm

When you were doing your thinking and betting did you carry out any kind of valid survey to sustain your findings ??????? ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 pm

How about a simple poll asking

Would you favour a safe standing option at Field Mill?
Yes or No.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Yes, if it creates more space for me in the seating :D
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm

pemill wrote:Yes, if it creates more space for me in the seating :D

Heavy Christmas? :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Sorry Jamie, you're hugely wide of the mark there. You only have to look at national polling of football fans on the subject to see that. In a survey by the Football Supporters Federation of over 33,000 people, 94% backed some form of safe standing at football grounds.

Safe standing isn't a step backwards. It's the future.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Further to my previous post:

Nearly half (47%) of all fans said they would attend more games if licensed, safe standing was available
69% of fans said they would prefer to stand, compared to less than a quarter (22%) who said seating
94% of Championship supporters and 92% of League One and League Two supporters all back choice between standing and seating.

This is a copy and paste from the Football Supporters Federation website.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:59 pm

CassellsCap wrote:I,m in my 50s and I for one remember the days of standing and to be honest I would love the choice to stand if and when I want to. My son is 22 and very tall so sitting squashed up in a plastic seat for nearly two hours is not his idea of fun . Standing gives you an option to also move away from certain loadmouthed idiots who can ruin your day when sat next to you.

But that is the problem with safe standing, it does not mean you can move away from loudmouths.

With safe standing you are allocated a ‘seat’ with the seat tipped up and you stand with a rail in front of you. You just can’t roam about anymore that you can roam about at present in the Upper West Stand.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 pm

part time pete wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:I,m in my 50s and I for one remember the days of standing and to be honest I would love the choice to stand if and when I want to. My son is 22 and very tall so sitting squashed up in a plastic seat for nearly two hours is not his idea of fun . Standing gives you an option to also move away from certain loadmouthed idiots who can ruin your day when sat next to you.

But that is the problem with safe standing, it does not mean you can move away from loudmouths.

With safe standing you are allocated a ‘seat’ with the seat tipped up and you stand with a rail in front of you. You just can’t roam about anymore that you can roam about at present in the Upper West Stand.

I don't get what your point is. You sit with your mates at the moment don't you, in a seat of your choosing (albeit allocated)? Surely under this system it's exactly the same, only you stand with your mates instead?!

You're also presuming that there would be no spare 'seats' available to move to. Which lets be honest, happens about once every two seasons at Stags. Which is exactly the same as under the current system. If anything it would be easier to move away than it is at present.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 pm

I'd also prefer terracing, with crush barriers for me to balance my half time bovril on.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:21 pm

DE STAG wrote:I'd also prefer terracing, with crush barriers for me to balance my half time bovril on.

Those were the days!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm

DE STAG wrote:I'd also prefer terracing, with crush barriers for me to balance my half time bovril on.

As long as they were box section and not tubular. :)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum