{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Carlisle game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

videos: Carlisle game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 am

video: Matt Preston scores Mansfield’s first goal at Carlisle

video: Tyler Walker scores Mansfield’s second goal at Carlisle

brief highlights, produced by EFL
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: videos: Carlisle game

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Looking at the two bookings for Bishop.
Number 1 Grainger should be sent off for the tackle. Understandable for bishop to react especially when you feel the ref has got it wrong but you’re going to get at least a yellow for doing it.
Number 2, if it’s just what is recorded on the camera (more could have happened in the tunnel) it’s absolutely stupid by Bishop. He clearly goes out of his way to catch up to Grainger incite something.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:40 pm

If that was the extent of it then it was very soft. Minimal contact and then ran past so no likely hood of it continuing. He shouldn't have done it but it's hardly the bust up of the year.

Stupid way to get a ban but I'm sure he will learn from it. If that is going to be the standard though, there will be plenty of players falling foul and getting bans.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 am

Why did Logan halve his reaction time for the first goal. Ten yards out of his goal. May not have saved it with the deflection but would have stood a better chance. It was good football by Carlisle leading up to it.

Second goal another good move but no idea where Logan was going. Sweeney beaten too easily.

Third one was another good move. Some lovely football by Carlisle.

I know some folk will say I'm Logan bashing again, but his positioning was poor for the first two goals.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:15 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Why did Logan halve his reaction time for the first goal. Ten yards out of his goal. May not have saved it with the deflection but would have stood a better chance. It was good football by Carlisle leading up to it.

Second goal another good move but no idea where Logan was going. Sweeney beaten too easily.

Great point r.e. the first goal - if he just stays on or close to his line it is very difficult for the player to score from there with 2 players running across him. He didn’t even place it that well, poor goalkeeping.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:55 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Why did Logan halve his reaction time for the first goal. Ten yards out of his goal. May not have saved it with the deflection but would have stood a better chance. It was good football by Carlisle leading up to it.

I know some folk will say I'm Logan bashing again, but his positioning was poor for the first two goals.

Aren't goalkeepers suppose to narrow the angle by coming off their line. :o :o
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 pm

I wondered how long it would take for someone to blame Logan for the loss
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:34 pm

part time pete wrote:

He was ten yards away from the ball, he hasn't narrowed any angle.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Surely if you are ten yards nearer the ball you make the target of the goal smaller.
part time pete

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:36 pm

I think he did the right thing coming off his line but he came too far out on this occasion. Should he still have saved it? On the video it seemed to still be close to him!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Bros wrote:I wondered how long it would take for someone to blame Logan for the loss

of course it would happen, they give him credit when we keep a clean sheet but are soon on his back if he makes a mistake or let's a goal in. not saying Logan shouldn't be criticised but it's just boring now
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 pm

He has the reaction time of a sloth. His positioning is not a patch on Olejnik and why he lost the position in the first place. We either put up with it, with the knowledge it is going to cost us games, like Saturday, or bite the bullet and hire a new first choice goalkeeper in this window.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 pm

part time pete wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Surely if you are ten yards nearer the ball you make the target of the goal smaller.

Pete, he was ten yards away, maybe eleven. Also the striker was pretty central, not out wide. Is a keeper narrowing an angle when it's a penalty which is give or take a yard the same distance away? Come on man.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Why do keepers charge off their line at penalties if they can get away with it.
part time pete

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 pm

part time pete wrote:Why do keepers charge off their line at penalties if they can get away with it.

Because it’s worthwhile to make 12 yards 8 yards when a player can’t move the ball. It’s not worthwhile to make 20 yards 10 yards in my opinion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:48 pm

I know Logan makes some good saves ...... but why is it that almost every time that we concede a goal, I find myself questioning Logan? :?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Just watching the game on iFollow. I thought Conrad Logan should have saved the first shot. It is straight at him right down the centre. However our defence had been pulled over to the right by Hayden White pressing very high up the pitch which meant Carlisle had a spare man over when they moved the ball back across.

Ryan Sweeney and Matt Preston got caught napping for the 2nd goal.

Neal Bishop was harshly yellow carded for retaliation after the bad foul by Danny Grainger but his sending off was sheer stupidity and not something you expect from a senior player. He's had a good season though and has scored a couple of winners for us. There's plenty of time for him to make it up for us.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 am

Vice President wrote:I know Logan makes some good saves ...... but why is it that almost every time that we concede a goal, I find myself questioning Logan? :?

Quite simple Vice, he makes a lot of errors. If you criticise a player more than once, like I have with numerous players (Logan, Butcher, Anderson etc.) you are labelled a boo boy, why are you singling players out, get behind the lads etc.

The reason I criticise them more than once is that for the most part they make more errors/contribute less than the rest of the team.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 am

Put simply

Do I support Logan Yes
Do I have confidence in him No
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 am

Conrad did make two very good saves in the 2nd half but I think he could have done better for the first goal. If he stays nearer his line then he saves it. It did not help that Ryan Sweeney ran across in front of him.

It was poor defending by the Stags for both goals. We got caught out for the first goal with six players pressing high up the pitch including three midfield players (Mellis, Bishop and Elsnik) and two defenders (White and Preston). A couple of simple passes means that six of our players are out of the game and Devitt is left on his own in acres of space with three Carlisle attackers against just Sweeney and Benning in defence. Matt Preston got caught completely out of position at right back and left Devitt on his own.

Ryan Sweeney gets caught out for the second goal and Matt Preston is the wrong side of his man.

Sloppy defending but we have generally defended very well with three at the back to date.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Folk on here saying Logan stays on his line too much then when he does come off it’s bad goalkeeping. To many coaches and professional footballers on this site.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum