{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Question

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Question

Postby stag324 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Given the players we have fit what changes would you make to the starting line up?

I don't know what I would change
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Question

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm

I wouldn’t change any of the starting 11. I think it’s the formation/tactics that need to change
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Agree, the team is ok. We're short up top but it is what it is now.

We need to be more positive when we go ahead in games. Sitting back gives our defence to much to do. We've shown we can keep the ball and spread it round. We need to grow the balls to do that when ahead in games. If we keep the ball, they can't score.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm

An improvement in front of goal is all that's missing. The whole forward line needs to improve this one aspect of their game, otherwise any potential failure this season is solely on them as a unit.

Perhaps they haven't the ability to do it. I mean the lot of them - they've all missed a glut of game winning chances between them. Personally I think they can all do it, but they all need to start stepping up. It's their collective failure that is costing the team and keeping us way below it's potential.

I personally wouldn't swap anyone at the moment.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 pm

I'd stop taking khan off (play him 90 minutes) and have a striker to finish the game. Best form of defence is attack.

We invited pressure and unsurprisingly conceded, Flitcroft wanted to defend a winning position but why change a winning formula?

I wouldn't change the starting 11 but if I had too i'd play Graham instead of Walker to give him a run in the team and see what he can do.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Weve got good forwards ,walker needs some confidence,but i wouldnt be averse to giving young jordan graham a chance up front ,we desperately need to start scoring a few from the chances we are creating ,surely someone can stick it in the net bloody hell even nutts are scoring as many as us
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm

In this formation and away from home I would have Atkinson instead of CJ and then bring a fresh CJ on for one of attacking players. At home CJ to start. Hayden White ahead of either of them when fit.
The only other possible change would be Mellis for Khan or Elsnik but that would be harsh on either of them.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby stag324 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:27 pm

The team seems to be lacking in confidence for some reason.
I would love to drop walker but don't have a replacement

So overall we are stuck and we are either going to turn these draws into wins or defeats.

By the end of October we will know weather we are going up or not

As a side note we need to ask hard questions with DF is interviewed rather than pussy foot around him
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Difficult job being a manager innit.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:58 pm

My question would be to those who want DF out, who would you want to replace him? And who’s available?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Why not bring Stirling in ...or Graham

Just be more positive
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Harrington St Hero » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:29 pm

I’d bring a fit Davies in to replace Walker, or bring in Graham. Game by game, Walker is looking less likely to score.
Harrington St Hero
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:33 pm

I’d beg radford to put some money up to buy a top drawer striker in the jan window.

It’s obvious the joy thing we’re current missing is a striker who can finish from being a top 12 side to a top 5 side.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:34 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:My question would be to those who want DF out, who would you want to replace him? And who’s available?

Darren Ferguson, Gary Bowyer, Nick Daws, Steve Cotterill.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Mellis played very well off the bench today. But I agree there’s nothing wrong with the team as it is, the starting eleven that is.

It’s the mindset that needs to change. Even the most ‘experienced’ man on the pitch today, Bishop, gave away possession twice in stoppage time when he could’ve kept it. As good as he’s been so far, Mayor ripped him to shreds today and after his yellow card he couldn’t be an effective screen to the defence.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:49 pm

abc wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:My question would be to those who want DF out, who would you want to replace him? And who’s available?

What about after they’ve not done well after 6 months
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:18 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:I’d beg radford to put some money up to buy a top drawer striker in the jan window.

It’s obvious the joy thing we’re current missing is a striker who can finish from being a top 12 side to a top 5 side.

Forget crowd funding to get bishop street redeveloped, get a crowd funding campaign to get a guaranteed goal scorer in.

(In fairness I thought Walker was going to be that piece of the puzzle - but he seems extremely low on confidence).
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:20 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
abc wrote:

What about after they’ve not done well after 6 months

You mean if after 22 games they have a 13 % win ratio ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:I’d beg radford to put some money up to buy a top drawer striker in the jan window.

Forget crowd funding to get bishop street redeveloped, get a crowd funding campaign to get a guaranteed goal scorer in.

(In fairness I thought Walker was going to be that piece of the puzzle - but he seems extremely low on confidence).

You are being kind, he's absolutely woeful
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:48 pm

I would leave it. They’re playing great. Just need a bit of luck and patience and we will be fine. This is league 2 football, small margins and inconsistency is what this league is about. Frustrating at times, but I think a lot of people are expecting Pep Guardiola style strategic thinking.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Tawnystag wrote:I would leave it. They’re playing great. Just need a bit of luck and patience and we will be fine. This is league 2 football, small margins and inconsistency is what this league is about. Frustrating at times, but I think a lot of people are expecting Pep Guardiola style strategic thinking.

We'd welcome any thinking bar sit back with no strikers and wait till we concede!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:55 pm

where you there? we were tosh today and to be honest were not worth a draw, but being 2.1 up in extra time can we just for once under DF see it out.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:01 pm

old ram stag wrote:where you there? we were tosh today and to be honest were not worth a draw, but being 2.1 up in extra time can we just for once under DF see it out.

Were you in the better question? Possibly too busy crying over your lost bet to miss four clear chances we missed.

They had most of the ball but we had the best chances.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 pm

old ram stag wrote:where you there? we were tosh today and to be honest were not worth a draw, but being 2.1 up in extra time can we just for once under DF see it out.

I was there. We played against a good team away from home who also likes to keep the ball.

We created the better chances and played counter attacking football. Where you also at the Northampton and Oldham matches ?

Maybe you should start supporting Man City as that seems to be the level of performance your support deserves.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Every match is the same. Lots of chances created but few converted. Even against Northampton we should have had 8, so we can't point at that one as an exception.
Had a couple more chances been finished off today we could have afforded to sit on the lead near the end. "Clinical" is never a word associated with our strike force.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum