{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gabbitas Gate - F/T closed 20 minutes All Home Mat

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:Having seen a number of Stags fans in the home shirt, maybe a size too small, I think the extra few hundred yard walk will do them good. I do love this thread though, for years we were genuinely concerned that there would be no MTFC at all, now the major gripe is a gate being closed.

I will, and always will, support our Police forces - whilst I appreciate this is not the popular view amongst the youf (and Dan ;) ), they might make the odd mistake, but we would be royally screwed without them.

So fatties, get walking :lol:

On the contrary Rob. At football matches I honestly believe they cause more aggro than they actually prevent. Just look at what happened to the Stoke fans at Preston on Saturday. That was ridiculous & yet the copper in charge of all PNE games is a fantastic officer who has had loads of compliments over the years & he is gutted about this & doesn't know why it happened. These pillocks have undone so much of his hard work over the years. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45238177

I find that at lots of stadiums you find a particular kind of copper, the one who was bullied at school who now thinks he's the bees knees despite being on the bottom rung of his career & will always be there, trying to flex his muscles to show the world how good he is, even though he'll always be a cuntstable. I'm sure we all know this type. They're not all like that. The ones that follow Notts County around are fantastic. Really friendly, always smiling, chatting to the fans and there's never any trouble, hence they get to kick off their game at 3pm as they will do at Lincoln on Saturday. Whereas the ones in charge of us are a joke. They come out with the same crap all the time. 'Intelligence' this 'intelligence' that. They wouldn't know intelligence if it smacked them in the face. As someone above has said they just use the club as a cash cow. Some of them are Stags fans who can stand in the corner of the North & West stands watching the games for free while we're paying their wages. Also I noticed at the Derby & Sheff Weds games there was one standing there all game just pointing a video camera at Q block. What's the point? That's just inflaming a situation that's not even there. People don't want to be filmed while they're at a football match. There's club CCTV that covers that area anyway, so why does there have to be a copper doing the same thing. Waste of our money, waste of the clubs money. As for it being the clubs decision to shut the gate Johnny H, why is it they always say 'on police advice'? You'll be telling us next it's the clubs decision to make them 1pm kick offs rather than you lot.

Excellent post Dan.... nail hit firmly on the head!!!

The daft thing is, there’s been more trouble since the away end was moved.... and what will the police/club have to say when someone gets run over on the road outside the bishop street end when trouble flares up???
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 pm

They’ll just blame it on their ‘intelligence’ (or complete lack of as the case may be!)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Dan, because of the low key friendly policing and the fan friendly zone Tranmere created a nice match atmosphere and reaped the benefits.
Notes plod create the opposite and so get the opposite.

As I said earlier Gabbitas and the club to some extent could have learnt a lot from them last night
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:42 am

Confrontation begets confrontation.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:36 am

bellwhiff wrote:Confrontation begets confrontation.

Well it's the basics of conflict management in't it me duck. :)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Wouldn’t know.

;)

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Massive Police presence at Tranmere Tuesday night, there was 5 or 6 riot vans in the main car park :shock:

But as previously stated, both fans mixed and drank together pre and after the game. The Merseyside police officers in the ground were very friendly. There was nearly 6 thousand at Prenton Park and not a gate or restriction in place :lol:
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:07 pm

I actually thought there were quite a few police there.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Slackythestag wrote:Massive Police presence at Tranmere Tuesday night, there was 5 or 6 riot vans in the main car park :shock:

But as previously stated, both fans mixed and drank together pre and after the game. The Merseyside police officers in the ground were very friendly. There was nearly 6 thousand at Prenton Park and not a gate or restriction in place :lol:

Not many of our Neanderthals there, Tuesday night in Tranmere obviously did the trick.

My guess is the Police bill will be a lot less than ours despite more of a presence than at Field Mill
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Topic may have already been covered in this thread, apologies if I'm going over all ground.

At one time they used to keep the away supporters behind for 10 minutes or so but that got scrapped because it contravened 'human rights' or something? - surely this locking of the gate in no different.

When we play Counteh or Lincoln away what gate will they lock then?

It's overkill end of.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:14 pm

pemill wrote:Topic may have already been covered in this thread, apologies if I'm going over all ground.

At one time they used to keep the away supporters behind for 10 minutes or so but that got scrapped because it contravened 'human rights' or something? - surely this locking of the gate in no different.

It's overkill end of.

And that excuse we know is a crock of raspberry because away fans are still held back regularly at other grounds all over the country.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:21 pm

I saw a photo on twitter that a copper posted of loads of them at Grimsby or cleethorpes train station waiting for the Lincoln fans to arrive. There were loads of them & they’d all got riot gear & helmets with them! Straight away that’s going to frighten/intimidate/anger people (whatever your persuasion) & some guy filmed all the riot vans outside the station & there was 14 I think. Ridiculous overkill but then it’s how football fans are treated these days.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Sneag wrote:
pemill wrote:Topic may have already been covered in this thread, apologies if I'm going over all ground.

It's overkill end of.

And that excuse we know is a crock of raspberry because away fans are still held back regularly at other grounds all over the country.

I watched a short documentary of policing of football matches on a Birmingham Vs villa game, I'm sure they said the villa fans were held in the ground for over an hour because all the brummy lads wanting a fight were hanging about on the streets for ages.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Dan wrote:I saw a photo on twitter that a copper posted of loads of them at Grimsby or cleethorpes train station waiting for the Lincoln fans to arrive. There were loads of them & they’d all got riot gear & helmets with them! Straight away that’s going to frighten/intimidate/anger people (whatever your persuasion) & some guy filmed all the riot vans outside the station & there was 14 I think. Ridiculous overkill but then it’s how football fans are treated these days.

I've seen this before, I was on a train that stopped at Sheffield and I swear 50-100 riot coppers came wading in when a train pulled up which I believe was full of Millwall fans. I thought something really bad had happened!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Dan wrote:I saw a photo on twitter that a copper posted of loads of them at Grimsby or cleethorpes train station waiting for the Lincoln fans to arrive. There were loads of them & they’d all got riot gear & helmets with them! Straight away that’s going to frighten/intimidate/anger people (whatever your persuasion) & some guy filmed all the riot vans outside the station & there was 14 I think. Ridiculous overkill but then it’s how football fans are treated these days.

I've seen this before, I was on a train that stopped at Sheffield and I swear 50-100 riot coppers came wading in when a train pulled up which I believe was full of Millwall fans. I thought something really bad had happened!

And we all know how good South Yorkshire Police are when it comes to football crowd control.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sneag wrote:

It's overkill end of.

I watched a short documentary of policing of football matches on a Birmingham Vs villa game, I'm sure they said the villa fans were held in the ground for over an hour because all the brummy lads wanting a fight were hanging about on the streets for ages.

After the Chezzy game last season I think all their 'boys' were home tucked in in bed with warm milk & a rusk before we were allowed leave. :D
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Slackythestag wrote:Massive Police presence at Tranmere Tuesday night, there was 5 or 6 riot vans in the main car park :shock:

What stood out to me on Tuesday night was the way the club and police worked together to give everybody a quick and safe exit from the ground.
The street behind the away end was closed of by the police at each end allowing fans from both sides to walk freely with no risk of bumping into each other on a narrow pavement. To ensure this the car park exit was also blocked off till pedestrians were clear.
Once the car park was opened, the cars flowed out efficiently due to no traffic on the road and this meant there wasn't the usual 'road rage' in the car park as nobody was being held up at the exit.
A great example of how crowds can be controlled at the end of a game without being antagonised.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:34 am

:lol: Gate duty at England game , does one key fit all gates :lol:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Read on twitter that the kid element attempted to attack some Exeter fans near the train station hit the police intervened. Seems to be a weekly occurance whether the gate is shut or not
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Little turds they are.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Sneag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sneag wrote:

It's overkill end of.

After the Chezzy game last season I think all their 'boys' were home tucked in in bed with warm milk & a rusk before we were allowed leave. :D

Yes we were, like sardines squashed between the outside walls of "the Prozac stadium" and the buses.

They made a right pigs ear of it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Not sure I agree - there was some inconvenience but as a policing operation it was very effective at the Prozac

I travelled by train from Leeds and drank in town before and after - have to say I thought the policing operation at Chesterfield was very effective. I was talking to the police when we were cooped up at the end - he said the police plan was to keep only risk supporters back and let everyone else go but there were that many risk supporters it was difficult.

It is difficult to get this right
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:16 am

I got the impression the police let us out, then realised the Chesterfield fans were still about. So they kept us crowded up between the outside walls and buses. It felt a bit uncomfortable, certainly more so than keeping us in the stadium. A lack of communication maybe ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:46 am

Amber Andy wrote:I got the impression the police let us out, then realised the Chesterfield fans were still about. So they kept us crowded up between the outside walls and buses. It felt a bit uncomfortable, certainly more so than keeping us in the stadium. A lack of communication maybe ?

Perhaps a gate could have solved this :roll: :D
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 am

Or perhaps they could have some of those walky talky things ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum