{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:02 am

I would say far beyond being an apologist Belly he wss an active supporter of Haslam.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:57 am

Yep, no denying it. As we get older and wiser me and Jamie agree on more and more things, however, he'll go to the grave still supporting a guy who tried to destroy our football club.

And I might add, don't ever think that he wasn't alone. I remember on numerous occasions being vocal at grounds across the country about Haslam, over several years, and getting in to verbals with individuals who frequently pleaded with you to give it a rest.

If it was left to these people, they wouldn't have a professional football club to support in this town anymore.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:20 am

Too true Doomy. I remember getting the dogs abuse from some Haslamists at Scotch Corner services on the way to the Scumcastle game.

I was a disgrace and not a real Stags fans, because I was wearing a KH IOU £1m shirt.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 am

Sneag wrote:I would say far beyond being an apologist Belly he wss an active supporter of Haslam.

I was being charitable. It’s what I’m known for.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 am

Didnt some stags fans get chucked out of an Ashes test in Australia for chanting Haslam Out.

I lived in farnsfield back then and we had the yellow plastic signs on every lamp post through the village.

While at this club He was an embezzler, a fraudster, and a lier.

To give him credit for the bodge job field mill redevelopment is short sited. He applied for and was awarded a football ground infrastructure fund that paid for the majority of the work. However even some of the £millions he had access to for ground improvements allegedly went missing and we are left with a permanent reminder of him by how slapdash field mill is today.
A golden generation of players underachieving, and missing millions and several scandals all on his watch.
Messing round with football clubs is basically toying with peoples lives. He is the lowest of the low.

You can not defend that man.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Sneag wrote:I would say far beyond being an apologist Belly he wss an active supporter of Haslam.

I was being charitable. It’s what I’m known for.

:hysteria: :hysteria: :hysteria:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:18 am

On the topic of Haslam, all this was happening when I was a kid, I think I was 10 when we went to Cardiff. Some of my earliest memories are us getting promoted and having a cracking entertaining team, every week I was taken by my dad and it was amazing. It's such a shame that time was with him. Puts a downer on my early stags memories and makes me hate him even more and i look forward to this JR era even more!

I can vividly remember being taken by my grandad who used to live up the road from quarry lane to see the new ground being built and being shown the plans and designs for it. I am imagining things or was the modern redevelopment supposed to look really different??! I've always wondered about that
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:31 am

The new Field Mill is a testament to Haslam's reign. Cheap, nasty, no corner left uncut & a mystery where most of the money went.

Oh and tge badge is raspberries too. :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:50 am

Sneag wrote:The new Field Mill is a testament to Haslam's reign. Cheap, nasty, no corner left uncut & a mystery where most of the money went.

SPOT ON, SNEAGERS!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Sneag wrote:The new Field Mill is a testament to Haslam's reign. Cheap, nasty, no corner left uncut & a mystery where most of the money went.

Correct. I still feel a dick for feeling optimistic whilst it was going up but incredibly (although unsurprisingly) let down once it was finished. Have always hated the result, although hats off to Radders on his attempts at polishing the turd.

My old man is big friends with Ivan Hollett. He was telling us about it beginning to drop to bits internally after 12 months of being built.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:35 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

My old man is big friends with Ivan Hollett. He was telling us about it beginning to drop to bits internally after 12 months of being built.

I remember having a chat with Barry Statham and being told the same thing.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Sedgwick wrote:I can vividly remember being taken by my grandad who used to live up the road from quarry lane to see the new ground being built and being shown the plans and designs for it. I am imagining things or was the modern redevelopment supposed to look really different??! I've always wondered about that

There were different plans drawn up but I was shown the original plans by jack Retter god rest his soul. The ground was meant to have moved 90 degrees so there was lots more room but the grant was just to rebuild like for like & any movement of stands weren’t covered by the grant so ‘he’ just left it the way it is. As I’ve said numerous times on here both ends were also meant to go corner to corner but they would’ve held 2,250 but that also went over the grant. So ‘he’ shortened them so neither end actually reaches the corner flag & only hold 1,950 I think.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Melbourne Stag » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 am

Jamie wrote:No doubt what i'm about to say will be met with the rubbish from the usual people, but here goes...

Ever since he was moved on, people have hammered Haslam for selling him to line his own pocket. Well its interesting that he was sold to pay the Police bill and stop the club from being wound up. Lets also not forget the backdrop of that season, people were staying away and the income was well down, essentially forcing this sale to pay other bills.

Obviously if Haslam hadn't been so greedy in the years previous, we wouldn't have been in that situation, i'm not for a second saying he was good for the club or that i love him or anything else... But i just think its funny how everyone automatically assumed Barker was sold to line Haslams pocket one last time before he was forced out / made to sell, but actually he sold him to keep the club alive.

Regardless of everything Haslam, truth is Jamie has a solid point whether you like to hear it or not.
Instagram; aaroneccleston
Melbourne Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:14 am

I'm afraid he hasn't, Melbourne.

Whichever way you cut it, if Haslam hadn't relentlessly skimmed everything he feasibly could out of the club he wouldn't have found himself in that position. It's the level at which he consistently did and amount taken that's the point to all of this.

What Barkers money was spent on is irrelevant. If you can convince otherwise then please feel free to, bud
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:49 am

Melbourne Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:No doubt what i'm about to say will be met with the rubbish from the usual people, but here goes...

Ever since he was moved on, people have hammered Haslam for selling him to line his own pocket. Well its interesting that he was sold to pay the Police bill and stop the club from being wound up. Lets also not forget the backdrop of that season, people were staying away and the income was well down, essentially forcing this sale to pay other bills.

Obviously if Haslam hadn't been so greedy in the years previous, we wouldn't have been in that situation, i'm not for a second saying he was good for the club or that i love him or anything else... But i just think its funny how everyone automatically assumed Barker was sold to line Haslams pocket one last time before he was forced out / made to sell, but actually he sold him to keep the club alive.

Regardless of everything Haslam, truth is Jamie has a solid point whether you like to hear it or not.

The only solid point Jamie has is the point between his ears. If you 'borrow' money from a business rather than paying creditors and then those creditors slap a winding up order on you, so you sell one of your last saleable assets to keep the winding up order at bay (whilst 'borrowing' the change no doubt), the blame for the business' inevitable demise lies with the owner of the of said company.

In the case of Stags issues, the blame certainly did not redt with fans who had cottoned on to KHs actions and were no longer prepared to keep handing him cash to 'borrow'.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:52 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Correct. I still feel a dick for feeling optimistic whilst it was going up but incredibly (although unsurprisingly) let down once it was finished. Have always hated the result, although hats off to Radders on his attempts at polishing the turd.

So no doubt if it were dropping to bits he'll have put a claim in against the builders and got it fixed wouldn't he?

I can imagine the cheque landing on his desk and him making a mental note for it's destination...
'Hmmm to Portugal you go my little lovely'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum