{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Postby Chadman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Great stuff from Barker on Friday - including insulting Carlton Palmer!

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9276276
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 pm

he will manage us one day i tell ya
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:24 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:he will manage us one day i tell ya

And you'll probably want him out at the first sign of a wobble bud.

What makes him so special on your eyes being as though he's done pretty much sod all in management?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Just shows how bad things got and how close we were to oblivion in the days of the Dark Lord.

I think it's a timely reminder to us all when things arnt going quite to plan.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Chadman wrote:Great stuff from Barker on Friday - including insulting Carlton Palmer!

People talk of Dave Caldwell as a legend, but for me Richie Barker is all over him. I’ll never forget that last minute winner at Rotherham. Not just the goal, because we all went apeshit, but his muted celebration at the Tivoli end. That showed massive class.

And he’s right about Carltoon Palmer. Pug is the biggest whopper I can remember managing this club. The vile Haslam acolyte. I despise the gangly spunktrumpet
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stockportstag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Just shows how bad things got and how close we were to oblivion in the days of the Dark Lord.

I think it's a timely reminder to us all when things arnt going quite to plan.

I can't forget the £550,000 that was written off for the land purchase on Beck Lane.
Haslam made millions out of us, and and he certainly gave all of us two large fingers.

Thank heavens JR appeared on the scene.
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:24 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Chadman wrote:Great stuff from Barker on Friday - including insulting Carlton Palmer!

People talk of Dave Caldwell as a legend, but for me Richie Barker is all over him. I’ll never forget that last minute winner at Rotherham. Not just the goal, because we all went apeshit, but his muted celebration at the Tivoli end. That showed massive class.

And he’s right about Carltoon Palmer. Pug is the biggest whopper I can remember managing this club. The vile Haslam acolyte. I despise the gangly spunktrumpet

Totally different types of footballer, Caldwell probably played in one of the worst teams we have ever had, under some of the worst managers. He was fast and skilful and won a number of games with his own brilliance - yes he was flawed and that definitely stopped him playing higher, but he was a very gifted footballer (something you have always been in denial about!). Barker is a class act off the pitch and had a great time at our club, he was also terrific at Macc and made the most of his talent, which differentiates him from Caldwell. However, in my mind there is absolutely no doubt that Caldwell had more talent, sadly he just wasted most of it. Both of them rightly regarded very highly by almost all Stags fans.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 pm

And some fans still thought the sun shone out of Haslam’s dung trumpet.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:43 pm

I love Richie Barker. Possibly my favourite player that I have seen play. I concur that he will manage us one day.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:49 pm

I don't think we need ex players coming back telling fans how bad it got.... we all know how bad it was from the word go of him who should never be named in the same breath as Mansfield Town the day he took over the club the sacking of Joe Eaton n even now until JR pays the last instalment that person should hang his head in shame souls like his only do deals with the devil to have such riches in human form......
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:53 pm

No doubt what i'm about to say will be met with the rubbish from the usual people, but here goes...

Ever since he was moved on, people have hammered Haslam for selling him to line his own pocket. Well its interesting that he was sold to pay the Police bill and stop the club from being wound up. Lets also not forget the backdrop of that season, people were staying away and the income was well down, essentially forcing this sale to pay other bills.

Obviously if Haslam hadn't been so greedy in the years previous, we wouldn't have been in that situation, i'm not for a second saying he was good for the club or that i love him or anything else... But i just think its funny how everyone automatically assumed Barker was sold to line Haslams pocket one last time before he was forced out / made to sell, but actually he sold him to keep the club alive.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Unbelievable......
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Jamie wrote:No doubt what i'm about to say will be met with the rubbish from the usual people, but here goes...

Ever since he was moved on, people have hammered Haslam for selling him to line his own pocket. Well its interesting that he was sold to pay the Police bill and stop the club from being wound up. Lets also not forget the backdrop of that season, people were staying away and the income was well down, essentially forcing this sale to pay other bills.

Obviously if Haslam hadn't been so greedy in the years previous, we wouldn't have been in that situation, i'm not for a second saying he was good for the club or that i love him or anything else... But i just think its funny how everyone automatically assumed Barker was sold to line Haslams pocket one last time before he was forced out / made to sell, but actually he sold him to keep the club alive.

You'll get a few bites with this lad, fair play...
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm

If I raid the joint bank account then I'll have to sell the dog to pay the gas bill.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Jamie................what the?, I mean for real? Are you kidding?

Even by your standards that is stupid and the most ridiculous statement I've seen since Boris unveiled his Brexit bus.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Jamie wrote:No doubt what i'm about to say will be met with the rubbish from the usual people, but here goes...

He was sold to pay HMRC. Now why do you think an HMRC bill in excess of £100k was outstanding?

Actually it doesn't matter who the money was owed to (although HMRC can prosecute without the faff of going via the police hence the urgency of the sale). Bottom line was Haslam was siphoning money off for his own use instead of paying his suppliers bills.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

It was like we were owned by an insolvency liquidator, who was at the same time the sole benefactor. It was like asset stripping, Selling off players to pay the primary debtor.

To see it any other way than 'he paid himself first, and looked after his own income first, while the club limped along on life-support' is ludicrous.

Missing £millions from accounts, alleged false insurance claims, embezzled public funds for ground improvements, then seperating the ground from the club where he sets the rent and the sell-back price!

Defending him is indefensible. All the above is my opinion, of course.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Spiritater wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:he will manage us one day i tell ya

And you'll probably want him out at the first sign of a wobble bud.

What makes him so special on your eyes being as though he's done pretty much sod all in management?

the romance Spiro
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Just a thought Jamie, maybe if the club had been run properly, it's quite possible we wouldn't have had an outstanding police bill.

And another thing, just maybe a player who was very happy here who was a great asset to the club and a fans favourite, wouldn't have had to uproot his wife and young children.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 pm

James wrote:

You'll get a few bites with this lad, fair play...

The truly sad thing is, he actually believes it too. Barker was sold to save the club because Haslam had already lined his pockets!

And by rubbish from the usual people, he actually means almost everyone else, bar the odd nut job. Virtually no-one out there has ever supported Jamie's views on Haslam.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Unbelievable......

Tell me about it.

What a massive clunge. Not surprised though. Such a Haslam apologist isn’t he.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

No one as asked one simple question.....

Police bill for policing football matches?

Or

Police bill for wasting the police time while searching for his motor.....

People have short memories regarding him n how can Jamie come on here n in a roundabout way try n defend him beggars belief just goes to show people post raspberries to get a reaction.... banana
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Jamie wrote:Lets also not forget the backdrop of that season, people were staying away and the income was well down, essentially forcing this sale to pay other bills.

There you go folks, it wasn't Hasalon's fault the club was it trouble. It was ours for not giving The Dark Lord more of our legally hard earned cash, for him to fritter away in Portugal.

:o :o :o
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Jamie is a Haslam apologist. Always was. Always will be.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm

I think even Jamie knows he's clutching at more straws than a hay bailing machine at harvest time.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum