{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags' Strikers

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:39 pm

I went to watch Rheady, Beevers, Arnold, Waterfall, Hawkridge & Co at Sincil Bank on Bank Holiday Monday. There is an air of optimism at Sincil Bank as Lincoln City start their 6th season in the Conference Premier without even getting a sniff of the play offs. They have finished 17th, 16th, 14th, 15th and 13th in the past five seasons and have often had to worry about avoiding relegation to Conference North. However with the help of the South African based business man, Clive Nates, they have managed to reach an agreement regarding the £400,000 owed to the Co-op Bank and provide Danny and Nicky Cowling with a larger playing budget than last season. They can also pay their their salaries as former Lincoln manager, Chris Moyes, worked for nothing last season. The Cowlings look to have recruited well and The Imps moved up to 3rd place after defeating 5th placed Gateshead who had previously beaten York City 6-1 at home. Centre half, Sean Raggett, headed home Alex Woodyard's cross to give Lincoln an early lead but Gateshead came back well and Ryan Bowman missed a couple of good chances. It didn't do him any harm as he has now been signed by Motherwell. Nathan Arnold scored the decisive goal for Lincoln early in the 2nd half after another excellent pass by Woodyard. Adam Marriott then scored a cracking third goal with a great left foot shot from the edge of the area. If he stays fit then he could be a great find for Lincoln as two seasons ago he scored 45 goals in 42 games for Cambridge City. Lee Beevers and Luke Waterfall played well in defence for Lincoln. Matt Rhead had a poor game and was subbed by Terry Hawkridge in the 2nd half. The sponsors gave MOM to Sean Raggett but I would have given it to Alex Woodyard for his assists for all three goals. Match Ticket: £18. Attendance: 3,687 (110 from Gateshead)

Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: The Sincil Bank Rehabilitation Centre for Former Stags

Postby daddycool » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Just sold their star player Magretts to scunnie
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I went to watch Rheady, Beevers, Arnold, Waterfall, Hawkridge & Co at Sincil Bank on Bank Holiday Monday. There is an air of optimism at Sincil Bank as Lincoln City start their 6th season in the Conference Premier without even getting a sniff of the play offs. They have finished 17th, 16th, 14th, 15th and 13th in the past five seasons and have often had to worry about avoiding relegation to Conference North. However with the help of the South African based business man, Clive Nates, they have managed to reach an agreement regarding the £400,000 owed to the Co-op Bank and provide Danny and Nicky Cowling with a larger playing budget than last season. They can also pay their their salaries as former Lincoln manager, Chris Moyes, worked for nothing last season. The Cowlings look to have recruited well and The Imps moved up to 3rd place after defeating 5th placed Gateshead who had previously beaten York City 6-1 at home. Centre half, Sean Raggett, headed home Alex Woodyard's cross to give Lincoln an early lead but Gateshead came back well and Ryan Bowman missed a couple of good chances. It didn't do him any harm as he has now been signed by Motherwell. Nathan Arnold scored the decisive goal for Lincoln early in the 2nd half after another excellent pass by Woodyard. Adam Marriott then scored a cracking third goal with a great left foot shot from the edge of the area. If he stays fit then he could be a great find for Lincoln as two seasons ago he scored 45 goals in 42 games for Cambridge City. Lee Beevers and Luke Waterfall played well in defence for Lincoln. Matt Rhead had a poor game and was subbed by Terry Hawkridge in the 2nd half. The sponsors gave MOM to Sean Raggett but I would have given it to Alex Woodyard for his assists for all three goals. Match Ticket: £18. Attendance: 3,687 (110 from Gateshead)

Read it and weep Radford.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Just looking up population differences to try and understand the gulf in attendances between us and Lincoln

Whilst looking I found that 1 in 5 people in Mansfield are on benefits. Wowza. That is unbelievable.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:24 pm

tibby wrote:Just looking up population differences to try and understand the gulf in attendances between us and Lincoln

Whilst looking I found that 1 in 5 people in Mansfield are on benefits. Wowza. That is unbelievable.

Maybe the gulf has something to do with us having Forest, County and Derby on our doorstep whereas their only other options are Scunthorpe and Grimsby.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Alright calm down, I was only looking

I was more shocked that 1 in 5 people in Mansfield are in benefits.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Bank Holiday Monday fixture, always attracts more. For Lincolns last home league game on a Saturday they got 2400 in.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Barrel of the Best » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:31 pm

tibby wrote:Just looking up population differences to try and understand the gulf in attendances between us and Lincoln

Definitely a big factor.

The two places are also very different. Lincoln in quite insular, and the place seems keen to support local business and interests. It's also not the greatest place to commute from, the train service in particular isn't great.

Saying that they've got their fair share of Man U, Forest and whatnot there.

Be good to see them back in the league.
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby steiner » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:32 pm

tibby wrote:Alright calm down, I was only looking

Not really that shocking if you walk through Mansfield town centre on any given afternoon, like a scene from the walking dead, A whole generation of sunken eyed skanks that decided many years ago that work was not for them.
I had to smile to myself the other week when I was walking through Chesterfield town centre and noticed that they have a Waterstones book store! I cant really see them setting up shop in one of our many boarded up premises in our town any time soon.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Barrel of the Best » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:36 pm

steiner wrote:
tibby wrote:Alright calm down, I was only looking

Not really that shocking if you walk through Mansfield town centre on any given afternoon, like a scene from the walking dead, A whole generation of sunken eyed skanks that decided many years ago that work was not for them.
I had to smile to myself the other week when I was walking through Chesterfield town centre and noticed that they have a Waterstones book store! I cant really see them setting up shop in one of our many boarded up premises in our town any time soon.

I hate to say it but Chesterfield is in much better shape than here. I remember the two towns being very similar in the 1980's, but not anymore.
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:59 pm

Mansfield is a working class toilet with as limited employment options as you could possibly get for a large town, though is that really a surprise to anyone? A low education population town ran by garbage local governance.

As for Lincoln, do they price out under 18s and families at the turnstile like us?
Makes a big difference on a nice summery bank holiday Monday.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Having the Uni there certainly helps, I know first hand of football fans from across the country that attend the Uni taking Lincoln as their second team and attending matches, even non football fans end up going as part of the groups just because
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Barrel of the Best » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:38 pm

On the day:

Adult - £18

Concession (60+/disabled) - £13

Junior (under 18) - £7

Student (full-time with ID) - £7

Family (adult+junior) - £20

Family (conc+junior) - £15
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:59 pm

A few years ago I would've agreed with the comparison between Mansfield & Chesterfield but if you've been recently you'll know the gap has closed a lot. There's loads of boarded up shops in Chesterfield town centre now, hardly any in our town centre. Also I went into Mansfield the other day for the first time in years and I was really impressed. They've tidied it up really well, I didn't see any shop that wasn't being used and they've spent lots on flowers around the marketplace and library and it looks really nice. People just like to have a pop at Mansfield all the time, does my head in. Perhaps local people should support their local town more rather than pissing off to Murderhell etc :twisted:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Limited employment in the town yes. But who works on their doorstep?

Locals could easily get train to Notts to work, or drive. I have to drive for over an hour a day to get to and from work. There is literally zero job opportunities in my village but im not on benefits
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sharp » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:27 pm

1 in 5 on benefits (if that's accurate) won't represent the people around town referred to above. Those on JSA will be less than 5% of the towns population.

There will be plenty of people aged 50+ who haven't worked since the pits shut on ESA who you won't see around town. That will represent about 26%+. They don't make any headlines though, and you can't bemoan them like you can "the youth of today".
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Sharp wrote:1 in 5 on benefits (if that's accurate) won't represent the people around town referred to above. Those on JSA will be less than 5% of the towns population.

There will be plenty of people aged 50+ who haven't worked since the pits shut on ESA who you won't see around town. That will represent about 26%+. They don't make any headlines though, and you can't bemoan them like you can "the youth of today".

It probably also includes low paid or part time workers who's wages are supplemented with some sort of benefit (housing benefit, tax credits, etc) rather than being the implied 20% unemployed.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:38 pm

It'd be great to see the Imps back in the league. I always enjoyed going to Sinny Bank. Nice city, good pubs, good rivalry. Good luck to em.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bristolstag » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:37 am

Lincoln play Torquay on BT sport tomorrow (Saturday) tea time.
Bristolstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:17 am

Be nice to watch the game if tis on in t'SP instead of a Premiership game. Would sooner watch a game at a level near ours.

(of course I'd be taking my own peanuts to eat ;) )

Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:30 am

Dan wrote:A few years ago I would've agreed with the comparison between Mansfield & Chesterfield but if you've been recently you'll know the gap has closed a lot. There's loads of boarded up shops in Chesterfield town centre now, hardly any in our town centre. Also I went into Mansfield the other day for the first time in years and I was really impressed. They've tidied it up really well, I didn't see any shop that wasn't being used and they've spent lots on flowers around the marketplace and library and it looks really nice. People just like to have a pop at Mansfield all the time, does my head in. Perhaps local people should support their local town more rather than pissing off to Murderhell etc :twisted:

Dan - could you please direct me to the shop in Mansfield where you buy your rose-tinted glasses? ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am

Lincoln usually don't get that much in and we used to average more than them when in the conference.

That figure is a one off.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Dan wrote:A few years ago I would've agreed with the comparison between Mansfield & Chesterfield but if you've been recently you'll know the gap has closed a lot. There's loads of boarded up shops in Chesterfield town centre now, hardly any in our town centre. Also I went into Mansfield the other day for the first time in years and I was really impressed. They've tidied it up really well, I didn't see any shop that wasn't being used and they've spent lots on flowers around the marketplace and library and it looks really nice. People just like to have a pop at Mansfield all the time, does my head in. Perhaps local people should support their local town more rather than pissing off to Murderhell etc :twisted:

Dan - could you please direct me to the shop in Mansfield where you buy your rose-tinted glasses? ;)

I think they sell them in Dickie Dirts. :lol:
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:53 am

You're right Dan, places are very similar in my opinion. Apart from the retail park in Chesterfield and one or two nice furniture shops, the centre is pretty much the equivalent of ours.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:28 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Near the closed down pub in Edwinstowe :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum